The Student Room Group

I'm near obsessed with this guy- extreme infatuation?!

So basically, my thing for one of the guys in my year started in September (2014). It started off just as a 'I think he's fit, but he's kind of a dick' thing. As the months progressed, I started to find him more and more physically appealing, until January when I realised I kind of liked him. Kinda. I think it was also around this time when he had a few pretty crappy things happen to him and it was actually adorable how sad he looked when he thought nobody else could see. I just wanted to hug him, or at least befriend him so he could see that not everybody hated him. So yeah, that just made my crush worse.
In February, we spoke for the first time. Not actually in real life, but over Facebook. We've had quite a few conversations over the last two months or so and he's such a lovely person. He's funny, clever and quite witty and just a genuinely nice person.
Problem is, I can't tell if he likes me or not. I always start our conversations, but he's the one that keeps them going and generally doesn't end them. To add to this, we have this insane eye contact thing going on at the moment. At school, sometimes I'll look at him and he's looking at me and we'll just kinda stare at each other for about 5 seconds before I break eye contract. Either that or I'll catch him staring and he'll quickly glance away. Seriously though, the eye contact is really intense.. I don't know how to explain it, but it makes me weirdly tingly and shivery (wow I sound like a two year old).
And to add to all this, he's incredibly fit. But it's not just that he's fit, he's also absolutely adorable and just.. Yeah. So I want to make out with him, but I also want to cuddle with him and watch dumb movies with him and laugh with him.

Basically, I'm super confused because I've never had a crush like this before. Normally all my crushes have been based on physical things and I've kinda just ignored their personality. Somebody please help me because I seriously don't understand this or anything really?
Thanks ^_^

Scroll to see replies

Awwwww, sounds like a thing I had going on when I was at school. ^_____^

It sounds like you really properly like him. I'd say go for it! :love:
Original post by Anonymous
So basically, my thing for one of the guys in my year started in September (2014). It started off just as a 'I think he's fit, but he's kind of a dick' thing. As the months progressed, I started to find him more and more physically appealing, until January when I realised I kind of liked him. Kinda. I think it was also around this time when he had a few pretty crappy things happen to him and it was actually adorable how sad he looked when he thought nobody else could see. I just wanted to hug him, or at least befriend him so he could see that not everybody hated him. So yeah, that just made my crush worse.
In February, we spoke for the first time. Not actually in real life, but over Facebook. We've had quite a few conversations over the last two months or so and he's such a lovely person. He's funny, clever and quite witty and just a genuinely nice person.
Problem is, I can't tell if he likes me or not. I always start our conversations, but he's the one that keeps them going and generally doesn't end them. To add to this, we have this insane eye contact thing going on at the moment. At school, sometimes I'll look at him and he's looking at me and we'll just kinda stare at each other for about 5 seconds before I break eye contract. Either that or I'll catch him staring and he'll quickly glance away. Seriously though, the eye contact is really intense.. I don't know how to explain it, but it makes me weirdly tingly and shivery (wow I sound like a two year old).
And to add to all this, he's incredibly fit. But it's not just that he's fit, he's also absolutely adorable and just.. Yeah. So I want to make out with him, but I also want to cuddle with him and watch dumb movies with him and laugh with him.

Basically, I'm super confused because I've never had a crush like this before. Normally all my crushes have been based on physical things and I've kinda just ignored their personality. Somebody please help me because I seriously don't understand this or anything really?
Thanks ^_^

It sounds like he might like you, but of course nothing is certain. I guess now that when you're crushing their personality comes into play I s'pose you're at a stage where you can kind of take action on it and you're attracted to them, and not just physically.

I would suggest asking if he wants to go with you somewhere, like a park or a cinema or something like that. (Maybe your house but he might get ideas :confused:). Just give him a few hints that you like him (maybe holding his hand, gazing into his eyes) and maybe he'll say or do something, and you'll know whether it's going to be returned.
If it seems like he likes you, you might as well risk it.

Disclaimer: I am terrible with woman, and haven't had a relationship, so my advice isn't any form of sacred word, but it really doesn't seem that hard an issue.
Reply 4
Original post by SeanFM
It sounds like he might like you, but of course nothing is certain. I guess now that when you're crushing their personality comes into play I s'pose you're at a stage where you can kind of take action on it and you're attracted to them, and not just physically.

I would suggest asking if he wants to go with you somewhere, like a park or a cinema or something like that. (Maybe your house but he might get ideas :confused:). Just give him a few hints that you like him (maybe holding his hand, gazing into his eyes) and maybe he'll say or do something, and you'll know whether it's going to be returned.

So do you reckon I could (very casually) ask him if he wants to see Age of Ultron with me on the 23rd? Would that be weird?

Original post by Skratch My Itch
If it seems like he likes you, you might as well risk it.

Disclaimer: I am terrible with woman, and haven't had a relationship, so my advice isn't any form of sacred word, but it really doesn't seem that hard an issue.

Idk, I guess to an outsider it seems fairly simple but there's just so much doubt I don't know if I'm brave enough :/ also sorry about the poor grammar, I'm typing on a massive screen xD
Idk, I guess to an outsider it seems fairly simple but there's just so much doubt I don't know if I'm brave enough :/ also sorry about the poor grammar, I'm typing on a massive screen xD

To an outsider, it always seems way more simple than it is, and to the person in the situation, it seems far greater than it is. That's why I haven't had a girlfriend. The times it seemed like it could go my way, I still chickened out of telling the person I liked them. Don't be like me haha.
kiss him on the cheek next time you're saying goodbye. He'l like that :tongue:
So do you reckon I could (very casually) ask him if he wants to see Age of Ultron with me on the 23rd? Would that be weird?

Sure, I don't think it would be weird at all :smile: as long as it's a movie that either one or both of you would actually want to see.

Though I'm not sure if there are going to be any particularly romantic bits in that movie where you can try to hold his hand or make out or whatever..
Reply 8
To an outsider, it always seems way more simple than it is, and to the person in the situation, it seems far greater than it is. That's why I haven't had a girlfriend. The times it seemed like it could go my way, I still chickened out of telling the person I liked them. Don't be like me haha.

So I should just man up (woman up?) and confess my love for him? XD

Original post by ChickenMadness
kiss him on the cheek next time you're saying goodbye. He'l like that :tongue:

Ahaha, he might be more than a bit confused and creeped out xD

Original post by SeanFM
Sure, I don't think it would be weird at all :smile: as long as it's a movie that either one or both of you would actually want to see.

Though I'm not sure if there are going to be any particularly romantic bits in that movie where you can try to hold his hand or make out or whatever..

That's true. It's all action so maybe not xD I'll find some decent movie and ask him maybe?
So I should just man up (woman up?) and confess my love for him? XD

If you can, yeah. Though obviously don't say you "love" him. That'd freak him out to **** I imagine.

Ahaha, he might be more than a bit confused and creeped out xD

He'l be chuffed trust. He'l get the message as well and most of the work is done. He'l probably make the next moves lol.

That's true. It's all action so maybe not xD I'll find some decent movie and ask him maybe?

Mmm, yeah. Maybe find some middle ground - something with a bit of romance but still something that'd still interest him.

I took a girl to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I can't remember why, and we did hold hands but I never really found a moment to kiss her. Doh.
(edited 8 years ago)
If you can, yeah. Though obviously don't say you "love" him. That'd freak him out to **** I imagine.

Haha dw, I don't love him xD

Original post by ChickenMadness
He'l be chuffed trust. He'l get the message as well and most of the work is done. He'l probably make the next moves lol.

Ahaha, well if you're sure.. If I end up with a restraining order, I know who to blame XD

Original post by SeanFM
Mmm, yeah. Maybe find some middle ground - something with a bit of romance but still something that'd still interest him.

I took a girl to see Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - I can't remember why, and we did hold hands but I never really found a moment to kiss her. Doh.

Aw, that's cute xD Did you guys date?

Aw, that's cute xD Did you guys date?

She was actually my girlfriend at the time, but it was a date :colondollar:
Haha dw, I don't love him xD
Phew. You'll be alright then, I hope :smile:
Reply 15
if your blond, i'd say ask him out, or if he is Asian, if not then let you left hand be your best friend
Reply 16
Ask if he wants to do something (like the movie) but play it cool - don't let him know how much you like him. So act like you're not that into him, but fancy hanging out, then if it's going to go somewhere, it will when you're spending time together :smile:
Phew. You'll be alright then, I hope :smile:

Fingers crossed xD

Original post by SeanFM
She was actually my girlfriend at the time, but it was a date :colondollar:

Awwww xD Cute date

Original post by Livbish
Ask if he wants to do something (like the movie) but play it cool - don't let him know how much you like him. So act like you're not that into him, but fancy hanging out, then if it's going to go somewhere, it will when you're spending time together :smile:

That's a good idea, keep it very casual right? It would help too since he's never by himself

Original post by amyalan
if your blond, i'd say ask him out, or if he is Asian, if not then let you left hand be your best friend

..... What?
Shouldn't the girl here just ignorantly wait for the guy to ask her out, and when that doesn't materialise partly because she's never actually spoken to him which is apparently supposed to be down to him anyway and partly because she can't be arsed because of some notion that it is the guy that is supposed to ask. They can they eventually just bog off their own separate ways both feeling disappointed and the girl can then get with some guy she doesn't really give two sh*t's over but was easy to get with him because he just happened to ask her, lol. Perfect Hollywood ending I would say :wink:
This actually touched me haha. You clearly really like this boy haha. You seem to be a really nice girl. This boy would be lucky to have something like you; someone who always think about him.
Anyway, I suggest you go for it. I think you'll get a yes :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply