The Student Room Group

Ukcat 2015!

Hey,
I'm planning on doing my UKCAT this summer and was hoping there were some people out there that could let me know what to expect??
Thanks for any info or advice :smile:
Original post by sarahmac89
Hey,
I'm planning on doing my UKCAT this summer and was hoping there were some people out there that could let me know what to expect??

Hi, I did the UKCAT I did the ukcat in August and applied to medicine this year, my greatest advice would be...

- book it as early as you can, it is pricey (£60 if I remember right) but it ensures you get a good time slot at a venue near you.
- buy a ukcat book that is up to date (Kaplan one is supposed to be good)
- practice online (I used emedica and medify) as it gets you used to the format.

The test is made of 5 sections, the first four, verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning and decision analysis make up the numerical part of the score... Then situational judgment is band graded.

I would honestly just google the sections as they are very different, it's practice that makes perfect, and I couldn't highlight that any more!!!

Also another key thing is not to panic or rejoice about your score until you have seen the yearly percentiles as they are the best indicator as to what kind of chance you have of getting into a ukcat university, this is because average scores fluctuate every year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Natalierm2707
Hi, I did the UKCAT I did the ukcat in August and applied to medicine this year, my greatest advice would be...

- book it as early as you can, it is pricey (£60 if I remember right) but it ensures you get a good time slot at a venue near you.
- buy a ukcat book that is up to date (Kaplan one is supposed to be good)
- practice online (I used emedica and medify) as it gets you used to the format.

The test is made of 5 sections, the first four, verbal reasoning, quantitative reasoning, abstract reasoning and decision analysis make up the numerical part of the score... Then situational judgment is band graded.

I would honestly just google the sections as they are very different, it's practice that makes perfect, and I couldn't highlight that any more!!!

Also another key thing is not to panic or rejoice about your score until you have seen the yearly percentiles as they are the best indicator as to what kind of chance you have of getting into a ukcat university, this is because average scores fluctuate every year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for advice :smile:
How did the rest of your application go after UKCAT?
Thanks for advice :smile:
How did the rest of your application go after UKCAT?

Pretty badly to be fair, I have three Pre interview rejections and after one interview from Cardiff in November I will hear my decision tomorrow from them. Fingers crossed.

The reason I did not do so well this year is because I didn't apply to my strengths, I did not look at the uckat deciles and made the mistake of applying to non-ukcat universities which had a huge increase in applicants.
My score was actually very good for the year and I should have applied to more ukcat universities, but if I have to take a gap year I will put all that I have learnt into practice!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Natalierm2707
Pretty badly to be fair, I have three Pre interview rejections and after one interview from Cardiff in November I will hear my decision tomorrow from them. Fingers crossed.

The reason I did not do so well this year is because I didn't apply to my strengths, I did not look at the uckat deciles and made the mistake of applying to non-ukcat universities which had a huge increase in applicants.
My score was actually very good for the year and I should have applied to more ukcat universities, but if I have to take a gap year I will put all that I have learnt into practice!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well good luck for tomorrow!

Thats such a shame, i live in scotland so there is only 5 universities i can apply for and think most of them are UKCAT.
At least if you take a year out you can gain loads of experience in different fields of work, and that will improve you application.

Thats such a shame, i live in scotland so there is only 5 universities i can apply for and think most of them are UKCAT.
At least if you take a year out you can gain loads of experience in different fields of work, and that will improve you application.

Thank you very much!!

Good luck with everything!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why can you only apply to 5 unis? Don't be put off by having to take a loan out for fees, medicine is such a tactical game so you have to apply where you're most likely to get in and in the grand scheme of things you will pay off that loan with very little bother as a doctor. The rest of us manage fine so it's really not an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by JenniB22
Why can you only apply to 5 unis? Don't be put off by having to take a loan out for fees, medicine is such a tactical game so you have to apply where you're most likely to get in and in the grand scheme of things you will pay off that loan with very little bother as a doctor. The rest of us manage fine so it's really not an issue.

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi there, i would only apply to the universities in scotland as i have a 7yr old daughter and cant up root her that far away from her father and rest of family, my situation is slightly different from a normal student, since i have a family to suppot i dont have the freedom to apply to lots of unis, so i know my chances will be dramatically reduced for getting a place.
Reply 8
Hey,

Hi

I decided to thoughly reasearch and apply tactically to my strengths..the aim was to obtain 4 interviews and hopefully the planets would align, and I would receive one offer.

ukcat was a key part of this...I got the Kaplan book and started on it the second week of July, I also used their website for their free tests to benchmark where I was. Mid 600's. I worked at this for three weeks, then I went on one of their two day courses....picked up some useful tips...my average rose to low700s in more mocks...I continued practicing and sat the test early Sept...and scored 3010.ave 752...which put me in the top decile for the year. With that strength known I then chose 3 uk cat heavy Unis...that liked my gcse grades and as results..per their websites...and one that I just liked....because they were all system / case based courses..a bit of a luxury really...I obtained all four interviews....and so far have two offers and one rejection...I was very ill that day and no where near on top of my game...unfortunate stuff happens and that is why 4 interviews are important.

Best of luck.
Original post by Irob
Hi

I decided to thoughly reasearch and apply tactically to my strengths..the aim was to obtain 4 interviews and hopefully the planets would align, and I would receive one offer.

ukcat was a key part of this...I got the Kaplan book and started on it the second week of July, I also used their website for their free tests to benchmark where I was. Mid 600's. I worked at this for three weeks, then I went on one of their two day courses....picked up some useful tips...my average rose to low700s in more mocks...I continued practicing and sat the test early Sept...and scored 3010.ave 752...which put me in the top decile for the year. With that strength known I then chose 3 uk cat heavy Unis...that liked my gcse grades and as results..per their websites...and one that I just liked....because they were all system / case based courses..a bit of a luxury really...I obtained all four interviews....and so far have two offers and one rejection...I was very ill that day and no where near on top of my game...unfortunate stuff happens and that is why 4 interviews are important.

Best of luck.

Cannot agree any more with this... apply to your strengths, I did not do that for 3 of my choices and didnt get interviews there, but for my first choice, cardiff, i knew i was gaurenteed an interview with my GCSE grades, and now I have got an offer, you only need one interview to get an offer, but the more interviews you get the better chance you have of getting an offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending