mean = 249
sum of x squared = 6240780
sum of x = 24940

so 6240780-(100*(249^2))
=40680
40680/99 = 410.9
root 410.9 = 20.27
They have done 24940 squared instead of n * Xbar squared
Any help on this as I have no idea why this is wrong at all!
Original post by Danny.L
The question is literally Q1 and I don't know how I have got this wrong:
http://www.mei.org.uk/files/papers/June13/S1_2013_June.pdf
Here's what I did:
n= 100
mean = 249
sum of x squared = 6240780
sum of x = 24940

so 6240780-(100*(249^2))
=40680
40680/99 = 410.9
root 410.9 = 20.27
They have done 24940 squared instead of n * Xbar squared
Any help on this as I have no idea why this is wrong at all!

Note that the calculation you've done and the one they've done is the same (the whole xbar squared or sigma x^2 ... bit) are equivalent. That is, if you have a = sigma x^2 and b = n, a^2/b^2 * b is the same as a^2/b - they've done one and you've done the other, both are fine, but the one they did makes sure there's no error from rounding etc.

However, you've used 249 instead of 249.4 and it's made a massive difference because you've squared it and multiplied by 100. Always use the ans button on your calculator. :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SeanFM
Note that the calculation you've done and the one they've done is the same (the whole xbar squared or sigma x^2 ... bit) are equivalent.

However, you've used 249 instead of 249.4 and it's made a massive difference because you've squared it and multiplied by 100. Always use the ans button on your calculator. :colondollar:

Fair enough, but now i'm a tad confused, it says in the mark scheme you would get marked down for writing 249.4 as the mean as it is deemed as "over-specifying", so if they want 249 as the answer, why then use 249.4 in their next calculation? :s-smilie::colondollar:
Original post by Danny.L
Fair enough, but now i'm a tad confused, it says in the mark scheme you would get marked down for writing 249.4 as the mean as it is deemed as "over-specifying", so if they want 249 as the answer, why then use 249.4 in their next calculation? :s-smilie::colondollar:

You have a point there, that is really weird, and I don't know.

I just use the ans button between questions.
Original post by Danny.L

Frequently they will ask for an answer to be rounded when asking for a specific value (eg give the mean) but for you to keep the "working value" for future parts of the question.

Common rule: don't round to the end and use as many digits as possible ti ensure accuracy. Only round when giving final answers!
Reply 5
Original post by somegirlcalledea
Frequently they will ask for an answer to be rounded when asking for a specific value (eg give the mean) but for you to keep the "working value" for future parts of the question.

Common rule: don't round to the end and use as many digits as possible ti ensure accuracy. Only round when giving final answers!

That's kind of stupid, but okay!
Thank you!
Original post by Danny.L
That's kind of stupid, but okay!

It's definitley not stupid.

Consider y=x^2, and x= 10.06 What's y to 1 dec.pl?.

If you round the x, you get 10.1, and squaring gives 102.01, which is 102.0 to 1dec.pl.

If you use the exact value, squaring gives 101.2036, which is 101.2 to 1dec.pl.

So, rounding the number initally has resulted in an error of approximately 0.8, considerably greater than the accuracy requested.

In general, if you round a number you are effectively introducing an error. If you now work with that number you will almost invariably magnify that error.

Quick Reply

Latest