The Student Room Group

UK Student

If I am studying in Scotland but I live in England how many years of funding do I get?

I Have recently been to look at the University of Edinburgh ( I have applied to study maths and stats) and I loved the uni and the place, but my parents said they heard that you only get 3 years of student finance in Scotland and not the full degree because the degrees are a year longer in Scotland. Is this true? I desperately hope not as I really want to put it as my first choice which I dont think i'd be able to do if it was.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by StudentPupil123
If I am studying in Scotland but I live in England how many years of funding do I get?

I Have recently been to look at the University of Edinburgh ( I have applied to study maths and stats) and I loved the uni and the place, but my parents said they heard that you only get 3 years of student finance in Scotland and not the full degree because the degrees are a year longer in Scotland. Is this true? I desperately hope not as I really want to put it as my first choice which I dont think i'd be able to do if it was.

no it is not true there are thousands of English students at Edinburgh who are funded for the 4 year course.
Reply 2

Your parents have heard wrong.

As long as you haven't been to uni before, wherever you study in the UK you will get Length of course + 1 year.

So if you're doing a 4 year degree, you will get 4 years of Student Finance automatically, with a "grace" year in case you pick the wrong course and need to start again, or you need to retake a year for any reason.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Klix88
Your parents have heard wrong.

As long as you haven't been to uni before, wherever you study in the UK you will get Length of course + 1 year.

So if you're doing a 4 year degree, you will get 4 years of Student Finance automatically, with a "grace" year in case you pick the wrong course and need to start again, or you need to retake a year for any reason.

Thankyou, brilliant news!! I was so scared hahha so thankful it's not true. Does this mean If I decided to take up a masters and do the 5th year I would also get funding for that?
Reply 4
Thankyou, brilliant news!! I was so scared hahha so thankful it's not true. Does this mean If I decided to take up a masters and do the 5th year I would also get funding for that?

You can only currently get Student Finance for a Masters if it was integral to your current degree. If it's a separate follow-on year, then at present there's no Student Finance for it.

However there are plans to introduce a Masters student loan of £10,000 from Sep 2016. This will be a separate loan and is very unlikely to be limited by how many years of undergrad funding you've had (although you won't be able to get it if you're over 30). £10,000 probably wouldn't cover all of your costs, but it will be a major contribution.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending