The Student Room Group

What is clearing?

The UCAS website is not really helping me with all of this clearing business. I'm not from here, but my question is can I accept an offer from a university and when clearing vacancies are released, am I able to guarantee a place at another university and then be released into clearing when that is done?
Original post by akj.latif
The UCAS website is not really helping me with all of this clearing business. I'm not from here, but my question is can I accept an offer from a university and when clearing vacancies are released, am I able to guarantee a place at another university and then be released into clearing when that is done?

You can only enter clearing if you have no offers. So, if you already have a place at a uni you'd have to reject that, be released into clearing and then find out if you could get a place elsewhere.

It's a risky strategy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Origami Bullets
You can only enter clearing if you have no offers. So, if you already have a place at a uni you'd have to reject that, be released into clearing and then find out if you could get a place elsewhere.

It's a risky strategy

Posted from TSR Mobile

I guess there is no way of avoiding the risk in it then. Thank you anyhow.
I guess there is no way of avoiding the risk in it then. Thank you anyhow.

If you exceed your offers you can enter adjustment, which does avoid a lot of the risks associated with clearing as you can hold your offer while investigating other options.

Clearing is really more suited to people who have missed their offers or decided at the last minute they want to go to uni this year.

Is there a particular reason you're interested in clearing?
Reply 4
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
If you exceed your offers you can enter adjustment, which does avoid a lot of the risks associated with clearing as you can hold your offer while investigating other options.

Clearing is really more suited to people who have missed their offers or decided at the last minute they want to go to uni this year.

Is there a particular reason you're interested in clearing?

I don't think adjustment will work for me, because none of my offers were conditional. I'd like to enter clearing because I applied to universities outside of London and realised after firming Durham for LLB that I'd really like to stay in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think adjustment will work for me, because none of my offers were conditional. I'd like to enter clearing because I applied to universities outside of London and realised after firming Durham for LLB that I'd really like to stay in London.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah I see. It's worth bearing in mind that the top London unis tend not to offer spaces in clearing at all- also LLB is a pretty competitive course, so their might not be many clearing spaces available that are suitable for you.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, sorry. If you've got your heart set on living in London, you might need to take a gap year and reapply.
Reply 6
Original post by SlowlorisIncognito
Ah I see. It's worth bearing in mind that the top London unis tend not to offer spaces in clearing at all- also LLB is a pretty competitive course, so their might not be many clearing spaces available that are suitable for you.

I know that's probably not what you want to hear, sorry. If you've got your heart set on living in London, you might need to take a gap year and reapply.

Thank you for letting me know 😊 I guess I'll have to wait it out and see, it's not that I'd be unhappy at Durham, it's just a preference. Thank you for your help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lots of info/advice here about Results Day and Clearing :

Results Day (and decisions) : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_A-Level_results_day

What is Clearing? : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had the exact same problem. I applied to pretty rubbish uni's in London as I just wanted to stay in London. Then I changed my mind and realised I could do better and then applied to Kent trough extra and for an offer for business management. I then firmed it but realised I wanted to stay in London again so I called them and they released me into extra so I applied to queen Mary for business. You could call Durham and see if they'll release you. Technically they don't have to but if you just explain your situation to them then there's no reason why they wouldn't release you. I suggest falling a few universities beforehand to see if they have places for law before you risk losing Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by r-t
I had the exact same problem. I applied to pretty rubbish uni's in London as I just wanted to stay in London. Then I changed my mind and realised I could do better and then applied to Kent trough extra and for an offer for business management. I then firmed it but realised I wanted to stay in London again so I called them and they released me into extra so I applied to queen Mary for business. You could call Durham and see if they'll release you. Technically they don't have to but if you just explain your situation to them then there's no reason why they wouldn't release you. I suggest falling a few universities beforehand to see if they have places for law before you risk losing Durham.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wish I could be able to get into Queen Mary. There are places in Extra for UK residents but none for overseas students. I wish I had applied to it in the first place, my grades were good enough. Now I guess I have to see if QMUL even goes into Clearing for overseas students.
Reply 10
I wish I could be able to get into Queen Mary. There are places in Extra for UK residents but none for overseas students. I wish I had applied to it in the first place, my grades were good enough. Now I guess I have to see if QMUL even goes into Clearing for overseas students.

Oh that's unlucky :/ hopefully they will be in clearing :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending