The Student Room Group

Feel bad about relaxing

I'm in Year 13 and currently studying A Levels.
I've been doing revision since February half term, 2/3 hours every school day, about 6 a day at weekends, alongside writing practice essays. I have an A*AA offer, so the pressure I'm feeling is pretty intense. I'm currently getting full marks in essays and I feel pretty confident in my exam technique. I've now ramped revision up to 8 hours a day, which I feel I'll be able to maintain till my exams in June.

However, my problem is that I have an incredibly pushy mother, who wants me doing 10 hours a day, which I think is unreasonable. My current plan is 9am-7pm revision (with breaks), then spend a couple of hours with my boyfriend in the evening. He's currently home from uni, I only get to see him every 6 weeks or so, so I want to spend time with him. However my mum is unhappy with this, what can I do to get her to stop being unreasonable? And how can I stop being crippled with worry and anxiety everytime I try to relax? :confused:
Reply 1
Original post by ShonaM6920
I'm in Year 13 and currently studying A Levels.
I've been doing revision since February half term, 2/3 hours every school day, about 6 a day at weekends, alongside writing practice essays. I have an A*AA offer, so the pressure I'm feeling is pretty intense. I'm currently getting full marks in essays and I feel pretty confident in my exam technique. I've now ramped revision up to 8 hours a day, which I feel I'll be able to maintain till my exams in June.

However, my problem is that I have an incredibly pushy mother, who wants me doing 10 hours a day, which I think is unreasonable. My current plan is 9am-7pm revision (with breaks), then spend a couple of hours with my boyfriend in the evening. He's currently home from uni, I only get to see him every 6 weeks or so, so I want to spend time with him. However my mum is unhappy with this, what can I do to get her to stop being unreasonable? And how can I stop being crippled with worry and anxiety everytime I try to relax? :confused:

You jst made me realise that i have so much to go through because i havent started my revision! However im gonna say you straight away, dont listen to your mamma. Because if you have planned out your revision time and revise within those time frame, that means thats it! Your brain cannot take in so much like 8 hours isnt enough. Jst remove the thought of your mother's expectation because that is probably one of the reason why you are anxious while relaxing. Whats the whole point of relaxing? I would suggest you to talk to her about it, tell her how anxious you gst because of the pressure from everywhere. Talking can help alot. And while you relax, distract yourself, indulge yourself into something away from the thought of revising. It helps alot. Probably one of the reason why i still havent thought of revising. GOODLUCK. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pagorai
You jst made me realise that i have so much to go through because i havent started my revision! However im gonna say you straight away, dont listen to your mamma. Because if you have planned out your revision time and revise within those time frame, that means thats it! Your brain cannot take in so much like 8 hours isnt enough. Jst remove the thought of your mother's expectation because that is probably one of the reason why you are anxious while relaxing. Whats the whole point of relaxing? I would suggest you to talk to her about it, tell her how anxious you gst because of the pressure from everywhere. Talking can help alot. And while you relax, distract yourself, indulge yourself into something away from the thought of revising. It helps alot. Probably one of the reason why i still havent thought of revising. GOODLUCK. :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just because she's doing nine hours doesn't mean you should, people need/do different amount which works for them, I only did about 5/6 hours before exams and started May and I did just fine.
Each to his own. I have only ever done last minute revision because of sport, so I got a B in English Language (unfairly due to coursework moderation which took me down from 90 or something). I reckon my sweet-spot would still be a lot less than 90% of people. At uni i have got 2:1s with not a great deal of revision, but most of my subjects are essay based so writing style is vital. That already seems like a lot of revision and I don't think you'd gain anything with doing what your mum suggests, so keep at it. Your mum is way too pushy!
Reply 4
Original post by Dilzo999
Just because she's doing nine hours doesn't mean you should, people need/do different amount which works for them, I only did about 5/6 hours before exams and started May and I did just fine.

Haha no no i am not saying i should do the same amount of revision as her, if you read it properly, i havent started at all!!!! I procrastinate like anything therefore i guess it about time i start as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest