The Student Room Group

Computer animation- Ravensbourne, Teesside or Hertfordshire

Which university do you think is the strongest? anyone studied at ravensbourne on the animation course what's it like?
Original post by Hitsugaya_T
Which university do you think is the strongest? anyone studied at ravensbourne on the animation course what's it like?

Hey hitsugaya_T

From what we've heard from our friends, they are enjoying animation and if you haven't checked our animation page yet, Click here!
There's a video showing what sort of things our animation students do.

Our friends usually ask why we don't do animation since we draw quite a bit and they try to encourage us to do animation but we're on Design Product so we're in a complete different area.

Feel free to ask any more question and we'll get back to you ASAP :smile:
Hope this helps a bit

Kay and Ahlia :biggrin:
Reply 2
What softwares do you use at ravensbourne? i also heard that you do a 2 year fast track for animation, what is that like and what's the criteria for joining?
Thanks
What softwares do you use at ravensbourne? i also heard that you do a 2 year fast track for animation, what is that like and what's the criteria for joining?
Thanks

Hey there,

We don't do 2 years fast track anymore unfortunately but please click here to know more about it.

Hope this helps,

Kay and Ahlia :biggrin:
Reply 4
Okay great :smile:, also what softwares do you use at ravensbourne? and are the students signed up to something like digital tutors or gnomon workshop?
Thanks
I'm on the Computer Animation and VFX course at Teesside and we're all signed up for digital tutors :smile: It's a very friendly Uni and all of the tutors are approachable, you can book rooms/equipment out online for free e.g. the green screens/mo cap etc
Okay great :smile:, also what softwares do you use at ravensbourne? and are the students signed up to something like digital tutors or gnomon workshop?
Thanks

Hey there :smile:

Ravensbourne offer free software and our animation students use MAYA and Adobe After effects.

Every term, Ravensbourne has a Enhancement week which is the same as a reading week and during that week Ravensbourne has free software workshops for only Ravensbourne students.

If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask.

Hope this helps,
Ahlia :biggrin:
Reply 7
Fantastic thank you, how many days a week are students usually in for animation? Also what softwares would one have access to? like zbrush etc?
(edited 8 years ago)
Fantastic thank you, how many days a week are students usually in for animation? Also what softwares would one have access to? like zbrush etc?

Anytime :smile:

First year animation students goes 3-4 times a week.

Ravensbourne students get free softwares! So softwares like Maya, Adobe package, After effects, Zbrush, Mari and many more.

Hope this helps,
Ahlia :h:
Reply 9
great thank you! and how about second years?
Reply 10
Hi, I'm due to start Character Animation in September at Teesside. Although I've only had an interview with one member of staff and had a quick tour, I can vouch that the facilities are astounding: I was blown away. Their sound recording studio and Green Room were brilliant. The tutors I spoke to seem very friendly and willing, and Teesside is (I'm sure) one of the Top two best Universities for their School of Computing (Which includes animation.) and in the Top 40 of the world!
Original post by elleay
Hi, I'm due to start Character Animation in September at Teesside. Although I've only had an interview with one member of staff and had a quick tour, I can vouch that the facilities are astounding: I was blown away. Their sound recording studio and Green Room were brilliant. The tutors I spoke to seem very friendly and willing, and Teesside is (I'm sure) one of the Top two best Universities for their School of Computing (Which includes animation.) and in the Top 40 of the world!

3D World even ranked it top 20 in recent years :wink:
Original post by AlphaDog0127
3D World even ranked it top 20 in recent years :wink:

Nice i just wanted to know what's the art teaching like? in terms of drawing the human figure? for character artist
Nice i just wanted to know what's the art teaching like? in terms of drawing the human figure? for character artist

In first year all animation students are taught the same stuff, you'll be taught about the human figure in workshops etc and you have the option to attend 4hrs of free life drawing classes each week. Those on the character animation course are expected to be more able as far as drawing goes as the VFX lot are more technically based :biggrin: All the lecturers are awesome, if you have any issues with your work all you have to do is ask them for help. A lot of the drawing based work you do will be in the art and design building in their drawing rooms so you have the right equipment and what not.
great thank you! and how about second years?

In second year the programs used are still the same and the time schedules. You learn more and brush up on skill sets, more development and exploration in the industry etc. Also get to work with clients.

Hope this helps Kay :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Ravensbourne
In second year the programs used are still the same and the time schedules. You learn more and brush up on skill sets, more development and exploration in the industry etc. Also get to work with clients.

Hope this helps Kay :h:

Hello Kay does ravensbourne have the Mari texturing software?
Reply 16
Hi there, I'm one of the lecturers from Hertfordshire. In terms of software we teach Maya, Nuke, Mari, ZBrush, Photoshop and Premiere as the main software on the 3D course but also Houdini on the VFX degree. Here's an example of recent 3D / VFX collaboration work

[video="vimeo;128994764"]https://vimeo.com/128994764[/video]

Just as important as software, we also teach students to design characters and environments and understand colour and lighting.
Hello Kay does ravensbourne have the Mari texturing software?

Hello Hitsugaya_T

Yes, Mari texturing software is available to Ravensbourne students.

Thank you for your continued interest in our institution!
Reply 18
Hello AlphaDog,I was just wondering if you could give me a little heads-up about what to expect from a course interview at Teeside, for the Computer animation course. I’ll be attending my interview on the 17th and I was wondering what to expect, could you provide some insight into what I may get asked etc.?Kind reguards, Tom.
Reply 19
Hello elleay, I was just wondering if you could give me a little heads-up about what to expect from a course interview at Teeside, for the Computer animation course. I’ll be attending my interview on the 17th and I was wondering what to expect, could you provide some insight into what I may get asked etc.? Kind reguards, Tom.

Quick Reply

Latest