The Student Room Group

University is a really lonely/depressing experience- do you find the same?

As per title, there's just something about the way that University works that I find myself feeling very withdrawn and lonely.

At the start it was great. I got to meet so many people continuously. Going out all of the time and there was a really great vibe. Unfortunately though this has worn off over time. Friendship groups have solidified. Friendships within my own friendship group have become stale and some friends have either dropped out or fallen out with the group. My course is very intensive so people go out less and less as the year has progressed into the second semester. Even in lectures/tutorials people's attendance has dropped so you end up seeing people less and less. My flatmates and I don't get on at all which has been really miserable - it's extremely isolating to be stuck here in this room all by myself every night.

I find that university has become a thoroughly lonely experience despite the fact that I have a fairly solid group of friends here. Social groups become very peculiar after a certain point in semester 1. It's almost as if you can only mix with the people in your group. It's all very cliquey. People are far less receptive to being approached or meeting new people. Unfortunately my uni is AWFUL for societies etc, literally dead.

It's just gone so stale and it's affecting my confidence/state of mind. I really have been quite down at times because of certain social ways of Uni. I lack the sense of happiness/confidence I had at the start of the year. I find myself struggling psychologically.

It was exciting to begin with but then it became stale, and tough mentally? Why has the excitement gone? Is that normal for everyone else? Are there others finding it the same?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by le_darkhorse
As per title, there's just something about the way that University works that I find myself feeling very withdrawn and lonely.

At the start it was great. I got to meet so many people continuously. Going out all of the time and there was a really great vibe. Unfortunately though this has worn off over time. Friendship groups have solidified. Friendships within my own friendship group have become stale and some friends have either dropped out or fallen out with the group. My course is very intensive so people go out less and less as the year has progressed into the second semester. Even in lectures/tutorials people's attendance has dropped so you end up seeing people less and less. My flatmates and I don't get on at all which has been really miserable - it's extremely isolating to be stuck here in this room all by myself every night.

I find that university has become a thoroughly lonely experience despite the fact that I have a fairly solid group of friends here. Social groups become very peculiar after a certain point in semester 1. It's almost as if you can only mix with the people in your group. It's all very cliquey. People are far less receptive to being approached or meeting new people. Unfortunately my uni is AWFUL for societies etc, literally dead.

It's just gone so stale and it's affecting my confidence/state of mind. I really have been quite down at times because of certain social ways of Uni. I lack the sense of happiness/confidence I had at the start of the year. I find myself struggling psychologically.

It was exciting to begin with but then it became stale, and tough mentally? Why has the excitement gone? Is that normal for everyone else? Are there others finding it the same?

Tbh, I found it like this from start...

People at university are very very cliquey. I feel I have a lot of acquaintances but not any real close friends. I went on this trip and had this amazing time - I met everyone on that day... It was still fun but that's how it was.

I feel most people stick to their flatmates like glue. Hardly anyone leaves them... Like everyone will always have that 1 flatmate...

People rarely turn up to tutorials and lectures so it's hard to make new friends... Even when you do speak it's still hard...

Yeah... I get what you mean...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by >Username<
Tbh, I found it like this from start...

People at university are very very cliquey. I feel I have a lot of acquaintances but not any real close friends. I went on this trip and had this amazing time - I met everyone on that day... It was still fun but that's how it was.

I feel most people stick to their flatmates like glue. Hardly anyone leaves them... Like everyone will always have that 1 flatmate...

People rarely turn up to tutorials and lectures so it's hard to make new friends... Even when you do speak it's still hard...

Yeah... I get what you mean...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ye people stick to their people (and even I am guilty of it!). It's like a systematic disorder at uni. I guess it's because actually there is great FEAR of not belonging to a group of people and the associated negative perception of such person who doesn't have any friends that drives the need to behave in such a way whereby you cling onto the people you have, sort of thing.

It's very much you are in or out. Sometimes they will ignore you for no obvious reason or weird things like that. Uni just is weird socially arghhh.
I've only met a few people I can actually have decent conversations with at Uni. A lot of the people stick to their own, especially Asians.

I'm quite social, so I tend to start conversations with almost everyone I meet, but with Asians there is no chance.

Quick Reply

Latest