The Student Room Group

thermal physics question

im not sure if I understand the concept.. the change in temperature of the cup of water from 15 to 100 degress celcius meant a certain amount of energy was transferred (89250). Because energy from the steam is transferred to the water in the cup does does that mean the steam condenses into water droplets? If so is that why the mark scheme equates the energy gained by the cup of water to Q=ml because the steam is changing phase and loses energy because its going back to water droplets?

sorry for this word vomit but this question confuses me :P thankyou for any help in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
Original post by MSB47
im not sure if I understand the concept.. the change in temperature of the cup of water from 15 to 100 degress celcius meant a certain amount of energy was transferred (89250). Because energy from the steam is transferred to the water in the cup does does that mean the steam condenses into water droplets? If so is that why the mark scheme equates the energy gained by the cup of water to Q=ml because the steam is changing phase and loses energy because its going back to water droplets?

sorry for this word vomit but this question confuses me :P thankyou for any help in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

So we are assuming a constant stream of steam, which will immediately change into water the second it's cooled, so we're purely working out the amount of steam that has condensed while heating the water up to its boiling point. The question doesn't specify that it wants any more information about the condensed water (would be hard to work out temp etc anyway), purely how much has condensed as the water reaches 100 deg c.
Reply 2
Original post by Phichi
So we are assuming a constant stream of steam, which will immediately change into water the second it's cooled, so we're purely working out the amount of steam that has condensed while heating the water up to its boiling point. The question doesn't specify that it wants any more information about the condensed water (would be hard to work out temp etc anyway), purely how much has condensed as the water reaches 100 deg c.

so you would calculate mass of steam condensed by using the energy transferred as the energy taken out of the steam and hence changing its state to liquid to calculate its mass?
Reply 3
Original post by MSB47
so you would calculate mass of steam condensed by using the energy transferred as the energy taken out of the steam and hence changing its state to liquid to calculate its mass?

Until all the water is at boiling point yes
Reply 4
Original post by Phichi
Until all the water is at boiling point yes

ok thanks a lot :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest