The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

22nd April Architecture open day at Sheffield

Hi guys, just want to know if anyone from the student room is going to Sheffield to study architecture, I made it my firm choice. Would be awesome to hear from anyone. I'll also be there on the upcoming open day.
Reply 1
Hey, I think I'm making it my firm too! What unis have you chosen it over? I'm still considering Nottingham but not sure.
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by Ellie.97
Hey, I think I'm making it my firm too! What unis have you chosen it over? I'm still considering Nottingham but not sure.

Kent (they offered me a scholarship), Liverpool, de Montfort and Huddersfield. I wish i applied to better unis. Where do you really want to go?
Reply 3

Hey, I can see why you are struggling. Both are very similar! I hope you do know the differences between B.Arch (Nottingham) and BA (Sheffield) in architecture? Both different style of studying Ellie.
Reply 4
Original post by M.Joshi:p
Kent (they offered me a scholarship), Liverpool, de Montfort and Huddersfield. I wish i applied to better unis. Where do you really want to go?

Wow well done for the scholarship! I regret some of my decisions too but tbh Sheffield is one of the best architecture schools. I loved it, but I really wanted to go to Edinburgh, but they rejected me :frown:
Reply 5
Hey, I can see why you are struggling. Both are very similar! I hope you do know the differences between B.Arch (Nottingham) and BA (Sheffield) in architecture? Both different style of studying Ellie.

It's so tough to decide! But actually I am still a bit confused about why Nottingham is a B.Arch...how does the studying differ from Sheffield? Which do you think is the more arty course?
Reply 6
It's so tough to decide! But actually I am still a bit confused about why Nottingham is a B.Arch...how does the studying differ from Sheffield? Which do you think is the more arty course?

You had no idea :eek:. I was about to apply to Nottingham but since I've found out it's B.Arch it's a lot more academic and a lot more written work. It's a bachelor of architecture. Work like this is done when you or I are about to do the M.Arch. B.Arch is a degree where we have to put 24/7 constant attention to be fully committed to architecture. Where as Bachelor of Arts degree is more architectural design studies.

B.Arch degree includes a lot more written assessments over the 3 years of study, it's also a bit sciencey. I've just looked at Nottingham study assessement. 1st year is 100% coursework that includes 2/7 of design work. 2nd year is 92% coursework with 8% written exam that includes again 2/7 of design work and the rest to with tectonics, science and humanities. 3rd year 89% coursework and about the same ratio of studies but 8% written exam and 3% practical exam.

1st year of Sheffield study assessment includes 100% coursework. There is 120 credits each year of study.. Communication adds to 20 credits, architecture design studies 60 credits, humanities 20 credits and environment and technology 20 credits in the 1st year.

120 credits each year

2nd year, communication 10 credits, architectural design studies 60 credits, computer aided design studies 10 credits, humanities 20 credits, environment and technology 20 credits.

3rd year, humanities 10 credits, science and technology 10 credits, advanced structures 10 credits, management practice and law 10 credits, architectural studies 60 credits, special study 20 credits and thesis 40 credits.

Overal credit score of degree is 360 credits.

communication - 30 credits
architectural design studies - 180 credits
Humanities - 50 credits
enviornment and technology - 40 credits
cad designs - 10 credits
Science and technology - 10 credits
advanced structures - 10 credits
Management practice and law - 10 credits
special study - 20 credits
thesis - 40 credits

my fingers/hand hurt now, typing on an iPad isn't comfortable lol.

:colondollar:
Reply 7

Hahahahahaha so my answer to your question is Sheffield. I have a tendency to fully explain myself and I love helping :biggrin:
Reply 8
Hahahahahaha so my answer to your question is Sheffield. I have a tendency to fully explain myself and I love helping :biggrin:

Wow you've been super helpful thank you so much! I hadn't realised that about Nottingham, but it all makes sense now:biggrin:
Definitely wanting an arty course, so pretty sure Sheffield's going to be my firm!
Reply 9
Wow you've been super helpful thank you so much! I hadn't realised that about Nottingham, but it all makes sense now:biggrin:
Definitely wanting an arty course, so pretty sure Sheffield's going to be my firm!

Thats alright! I'll see you at Sheffield! :cool:
Hello there! I got an unconditional offer from Sheffield, so I might be coming as well :wink: But the truth is, I'm still trying to get a place at the Technical University of Warsaw, Poland, where I'm from, and if I get it, I will have quite a tough decision to make.

So is there anyone who could tell me if studying architeture at Sheffield is indeed an opportunity that should not to be missed? I'd really appreciate that!

Quick Reply

Latest