The Student Room Group

Majority of Brits think Islam is incompatible with the UK

Scroll to see replies

Original post by PowelliteScum :)
Why isn't it my place to "get rid of" Islam?

They can choose to be ignorant and bigoted if they so wish, but they should expect to be offended and insulted by those who believe that their choice of beliefs is utterly abhorrent. They should expect their opinions to be degraded, and factual evidence being brought against them.

Democracy isn't a perfect system? We should always critique things. It's how we improve as a species.

So no. I can't see where this is going.

Trying "to get rid of" it isn't the same as banning it. Nobody truly believes that the earth is flat anymore. But that viewpoint has not been banned. I wish to do the same with all religion, especially Islam.

What do you mean about "trying to get rid of it", then? It's literally disposing it's values etc.
Democracy was used as an example.
So Muslims should expect their opinions to be degraded? Why? Because they follow Islam and are Muslim?
Like I said everybody is entitled to their opinion. You can ridicule Islam all you like, it's your opinion. But don't be surprised when Muslims challenge it.
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
What do you mean about "trying to get rid of it", then? It's literally disposing it's values etc.
Democracy was used as an example.
So Muslims should expect their opinions to be degraded? Why? Because they follow Islam and are Muslim?
Like I said everybody is entitled to their opinion. You can ridicule Islam all you like, it's your opinion. But don't be surprised when Muslims challenge it.

Yes. Dispose of its values. Make Islam obsolete. It should become viewed the same way we see pagan Viking, Roman or Greek Gods.

Religion is a pernicious distraction from true education and it is an abhorrent thing to submit to.

What can Muslims challenge? Do you really believe that Muhammad split the moon in two and flew to heaven on a winged horse? How can that statement be rationally and logically challenged by any Muslim?
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Oppose: to disagree with and attempt to prevent
It's not the disagree part I have a problem with, of course we are all entitled to our own opinions provided that it does not discriminate.
Now, when you oppose something then you are practicality trying to get rid of it. Especially vigorously.
of course we should oppose Islam having any part in our social/political structure. It is in sharp contrast with our concepts of government by elective democratic representation, of separation between State and religion, of gender equality and relations between sexes, family law, freedom of press and speech, fiscal and financial organisation etc etc

Islam, as a personal religion, does not pose any problem
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Do realise that few Muslims in the UK would support Shariah in the UK... so your concern is unfounded. And the mere fact that Britain has been free from the shackles of foreign intervention has allowed it to develop. Britain itself has held back many countries in their development, explaining the lack of natural progress over time from primitivity.
you are there broaching a different subject

as to few Muslims supporting the introduction of Shariah in Britain, you should nuance your statement : with regard to family law, sexual segregation in public facilities, punishment of homosexuality, introduction of blasphemy laws etc I am sure that many Muslims would be in agreement
Original post by PowelliteScum :)
Why isn't it my place to "get rid of" Islam?

They can choose to be ignorant and bigoted if they so wish, but they should expect to be offended and insulted by those who believe that their choice of beliefs is utterly abhorrent. They should expect their opinions to be degraded, and factual evidence being brought against them.

Democracy isn't a perfect system? We should always critique things. It's how we improve as a species.

So no. I can't see where this is going.

Trying "to get rid of" it isn't the same as banning it. Nobody truly believes that the earth is flat anymore. But that viewpoint has not been banned. I wish to do the same with all religion, especially Islam.

Freedom to believe removed and discrimination defined. Pathetic and disgusting.

Don't care how ridiculous you think someones beliefs are, you do not harass and insult them. You also cannot choose between various views that you consider to be 'abhorrent'. If you critique one, you have to treat them as equals and critique the others.
Original post by mariachi
of course we should oppose Islam having any part in our social/political structure. It is in sharp contrast with our concepts of government by elective democratic representation, of separation between State and religion, of gender equality and relations between sexes, family law, freedom of press and speech, fiscal and financial organisation etc etc

Islam, as a personal religion, does not pose any problem

I do actually agree with this quite strongly.

Religion should be a private matter and out of the public place. This is currently the case and there is absolutely zero political appetite for this to change, despite the scaremongering.

That said, discriminating between religions as to which ones people choose to bash is terrible. People should also learn to be tolerant and accepting of other peoples views, no matter how silly they think they are. Even if you think they are deluded, religious people have lower rates of depression so it may not be as bad as they believe. A lot of what we do in life is shaped by our mindset and misguided notions.
How on earth does one 'Ban Islam' without becoming atrociously authoritarian?
Original post by ZolaCFC25
Freedom to believe removed and discrimination defined. Pathetic and disgusting.

Don't care how ridiculous you think someones beliefs are, you do not harass and insult them. You also cannot choose between various views that you consider to be 'abhorrent'. If you critique one, you have to treat them as equals and critique the others.

It's not discrimination since you can not discriminate against a being that is not real, or discriminate against an idea.

I think neo Nazis are ridiculous. Does that mean I can't harass and insult them too? Your just another authoritarian minded person who wishes to impose censorship and thought crime on other people. I have EVERY right to insult and offend Islam, and I will do so when I see fit. If I find something that is both a threat and utterly hideous, such as Islam, I will do everything I possibly can within the law to oppose it.

Islam is abhorrent. All religions are disgusting, but Islam especially so. It is a parasite to the mind and an equal risk to the stability of society as fascism was in the 1930s.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending