The Student Room Group

Majority of Brits think Islam is incompatible with the UK

Only 22% said Islam was compatible with the UK, majorities of Labour, Tory & UKIP supporters all said Islam was incompatible with the UK

Do you think it is compatible with the UK? is is time to ban Islam?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11503493/The-majority-of-voters-doubt-that-Islam-is-compatible-with-British-values.html

Scroll to see replies

Depends what you mean really. muslims can be compatible of course so long as they only pay lip service to their religion.

However, if they truly want to live their life to the letter of their holy book, they shouldnt live here.
What are British values though?
No we shouldn't ban Islam, people are free to believe what they want even if it is crazy.
Original post by German123

It is more a question of what are Islamic values, isn't it? Islam requires punishments for behaviours that are well within British norms and holds its adherents to be on a higher level than non-adherents, who are described in very insulting terms. This is not the stuff of integration if Islam is followed rigorously.
Original post by Ace123
Only 22% said Islam was compatible with the UK, majorities of Labour, Tory & UKIP supporters all said Islam was incompatible with the UK

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/general-election-2015/politics-blog/11503493/The-majority-of-voters-doubt-that-Islam-is-compatible-with-British-values.html

No it's not compatible with ANY modern country

No it not time to ban but it is time to fight any attempts at normalisation of Islam in the UK

That's irrelevant

your better asking yourself what do I need to change about islam to make it acceptable in the UK
Reply 7
chodaboy hitting the nail on the head ITT

Common Law is probably the most British of values.

"One third of the world's population (approximately 2.3 billion people) live in common law jurisdictions or in systems mixed with civil law. Common law originated during the Middle Ages in England,[6] and from there was propagated to the colonies of the British Empire"

Constitutional Monarchy with a parliamentary system is also a cornerstone of Britishness and the values the nation holds.

What sort of question is that?
(edited 9 years ago)
If you aren't devoutly religious then it's fine. If you are and refuse to look a girl in the eye or have conversations with females, demand to pray 5 times a day at unflexible times with no compromise then yeah probably incompatible.
Reply 10
If by Islam you're talking about sharia law then obviously it is incompatible with the current values of the UK that should go without saying.
Original post by PopaPork
That's irrelevant

your better asking yourself what do I need to change about islam to make it acceptable in the UK
cool.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
Common Law is probably the most British of values.

"One third of the world's population (approximately 2.3 billion people) live in common law jurisdictions or in systems mixed with civil law. Common law originated during the Middle Ages in England,[6] and from there was propagated to the colonies of the British Empire"

Constitutional Monarchy with a parliamentary system is also a cornerstone of Britishness and the values the nation holds.

What sort of question is that?

Cool.
Original post by al_94
If by Islam you're talking about sharia law then obviously it is incompatible with the current values of the UK that should go without saying.

And you told us yesterday that if you don't follow sharia then you aren't a Moslem.

Sharia law is in the Qur'an if you reject that then you are rejecting the Qur'an which makes you a non Muslim

So you believe, as a Moslem, that being a Moslem is incompatible with living in Britain.
Reply 14
Original post by Good bloke
And you told us yesterday that if you don't follow sharia then you aren't a Moslem.

So you believe, as a Moslem, that being a Moslem is incompatible with living in Britain.

Let me clarify. I mean if Sharia law was implemented in Britain it would go against the so-called British values.
Original post by Ace123

Can't blame them really, i don't think it's compatible either.

That being said i think that banning Islam is taking things a bit far. Instead, we should prevent a single other Muslim immigrating to the UK and possibly prevent more Mosques being built. If they are still a problem in 50 years, we could consider financial incentives for the males to leave.
Islam shouldn't be banned and muslims can be part of British society.
Islam however as what it preaches cannot be It goes against so much of what britian is.
Original post by al_94
Let me clarify. I mean if Sharia law was implemented in Britain it would go against the so-called British values.

Sorry but you did say yesterday that if you don't follow sharia then you aren't a Moslem.

So do you believe, as a Moslem, that being a Moslem is incompatible with living in Britain
Reply 18
Original post by PopaPork
Sorry but you did say yesterday that if you don't follow sharia then you aren't a Moslem.

So do you believe, as a Moslem, that being a Moslem is incompatible with living in Britain

I think you are getting confused about what I said. You have to believe in sharia because it is in the Qur'an. You can't follow all the sharia in the UK because there is no sharia law in the UK.
Original post by al_94
I think you are getting confused about what I said. You have to believe in sharia because it is in the Qur'an. You can't follow all the sharia in the UK because there is no sharia law in the UK.

But you said to be a muslim you have to follow sharia

You said if the UK law contradicts Sharia you have to still follow sharia regardless of what UK law says

seems you're changing your tune now
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending