The Student Room Group

I feel uncomfortable missing lectures

So I've basically missed the last 5 in one module; 2 because I overslept like an idiot, 2 because I genuinely didn't think they'd be any use and 1 this morning because I didn't think they'd let me in because I was running REALLY late. Aside from that I've only missed 1 or 2 but it's really starting to bother me. Luckily they don't mark attendance but all the same, I feel like crap for doing it. I know it's wasting my money but the only reason I feel this bad is because this morning's is on half of my essay topic. However it's a topic I looked at in my seminar last week and already have a lot of references on. Should I really feel this bad? I'm resolving to attend all of next years especially since that's second year.
Reply 1
If you know you're missing out on notes/tips for assessed coursework, then yes, missing those is a pretty poor idea. You have no idea whether you're going in the right direction with your references and at my uni, seminars aren't permitted to directly address coursework topics although they can provide background info.

Try to find someone who was there and ask what you've missed.

If you aren't bothered about the quality of coursework marks, I'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 2
Original post by Klix88
If you know you're missing out on notes/tips for assessed coursework, then yes, missing those is a pretty poor idea. You have no idea whether you're going in the right direction with your references and at my uni, seminars aren't permitted to directly address coursework topics although they can provide background info.

Try to find someone who was there and ask what you've missed.

If you aren't bothered about the quality of coursework marks, I'm sure you'll be fine.

What subject do you do out of interest?
Original post by EllieC130
So I've basically missed the last 5 in one module; 2 because I overslept like an idiot, 2 because I genuinely didn't think they'd be any use and 1 this morning because I didn't think they'd let me in because I was running REALLY late. Aside from that I've only missed 1 or 2 but it's really starting to bother me. Luckily they don't mark attendance but all the same, I feel like crap for doing it. I know it's wasting my money but the only reason I feel this bad is because this morning's is on half of my essay topic. However it's a topic I looked at in my seminar last week and already have a lot of references on. Should I really feel this bad? I'm resolving to attend all of next years especially since that's second year.

Try and think of it as a continuation of school where you have to attend because i think the freedom of choice gets people more likely to find an excuse and it's easier to slip out of the habit of waking early etc.

Next year because my sister's still in high school and taxis are expensive i've got to stay at uni from 9 till 3ish so i guess it'll be easier to attend them because i'm already at uni all day - do you live at the uni rooms or home? If you live at home try this strategy

Plus, this might sound bad, but i think it's good that people miss them especially morning lectures because then that means it'll be less full and you'll be able to concentrate more with a lack of people in the room! Probably why morning lectures might be the best time to go :biggrin: And you may well get a nice seat too lol

Definitely think of the money thing though! And that you feel guilty is good it means you care, so start right now and get into the habit early, if you leave it till next year you still might not be used to it and you'll be less likely to go
Reply 4
Original post by EllieC130
What subject do you do out of interest?

I did archaeology.

Even if your seminar was on the precise coursework topic, you won't get great marks for just regurgitating stuff you've heard in a seminar - and referencing a class-based freeform discussion would be a nightmare.
Reply 5
Original post by Klix88
I did archaeology.

Even if your seminar was on the precise coursework topic, you won't get great marks for just regurgitating stuff you've heard in a seminar - and referencing a class-based freeform discussion would be a nightmare.

Oh I know but I've only missed the lecture on one of the books I'm looking at, plus my copy of the book has a bunch of critical texts in it.
My girlfriend uses the whole, "they won't let me in if I'm late" thing as an excuse when she can't be arsed to go in. Is this really a thing? I'd be telling them to go feck themselves if they think they can tell me I can't come in when I'm paying up to £9,000 a year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending