The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial Chemistry vs US colleges

Hi,

I just got an offer to study Chemistry (4yr + 1yr) at Imperial College and offers from New York University, Georgia Tech, Boston College (not from the ivies though). I'm currently at a US high school.

Imperial is a high ranking but the US system allows more flexibility to take different courses from different departments and it's easy to double major, even change major in Year 2.

I like Chemistry but would really like to explore other areas such as ComSci and Economics. From what I heard, that is not possible at all at Imperial, I go in as Chemistry and I come out with a M chem in 4 years and Chem is the only subject I will study there. Is this true?

Any comments/advice would be greatly appreciated! : )
Tough choice, if you're really set on doing a range of courses you should go to the US.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
At Imperial, can a student take any classes other than that in their own major? For example, being a Chemistry major, will I be able to take any class from the Business school? Input from current student or alumni would be most appreciated! : )
Reply 3
Original post by mw101
At Imperial, can a student take any classes other than that in their own major? For example, being a Chemistry major, will I be able to take any class from the Business school? Input from current student or alumni would be most appreciated! : )

Hi you will basically be doing a chemistry degree and in the uk on the whole it means you only learn in the chemistry department. At imperial if you want to do other things as well you can do imperial horizon courses alongside your degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
that's really helpful, thank you! : )

will these classes at horizon yield any credit toward my chem degree or maybe any "minor" or secondary degree?

or are they more like extra-curriculars, for interest only?

Thanks so much!
Reply 5
Original post by mw101
that's really helpful, thank you! : )

will these classes at horizon yield any credit toward my chem degree or maybe any "minor" or secondary degree?

or are they more like extra-curriculars, for interest only?

Thanks so much!

You don't do them for a long time each week but I think some departments let them be seen on your final transcript but I'm not entirely sure. However I would say it probably nothing like a minor time commitment wise and more like an extra curricular. If you want to know more about what's on offer id look here:
http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/horizons

I think they're more popular if you say want to learn a language but there seems to be a few with business links. It's hardly the same as doing an economics degree though. So if you're not sure you want to spend 4 years of your life doing chemistry perhaps you should look at staying in the US so you have more time to decide on a major

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending