The Student Room Group

Girls, would you ever propose to the guy ?

Poll

Would you propose to a guy?

Or would you wait for him to do it..

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hoping I won't get inequality hate for this, but I'd much rather wait for the guy. My boyfriend is very traditional, and would probably therefore reject me if I asked. Also, being quite a 'girly' girl, I love the idea of him planning the perfect romantic evening etc :biggrin: good for the girls who do it though, if it's right for their relationship then why not?
Reply 2
Original post by Ezme39
Hoping I won't get inequality hate for this, but I'd much rather wait for the guy. My boyfriend is very traditional, and would probably therefore reject me if I asked. Also, being quite a 'girly' girl, I love the idea of him planning the perfect romantic evening etc :biggrin: good for the girls who do it though, if it's right for their relationship then why not?

Nothing wrong with tradition. So you agree that he is King of the castle and Lord of the manor?
Reply 3
Original post by onegeargo
Nothing wrong with tradition. So you agree that he is King of the castle and Lord of the manor?

Aha, hmm, not so sure about that :wink: but so long as I can be queen we'll go with it
Reply 4
I think being a guy if the prospect ever cropped up, a long way away now, I'd want them to propose, just because I'd know they wanted marriage.
Reply 5
Original post by Ezme39
Aha, hmm, not so sure about that :wink: but so long as I can be queen we'll go with it

Ah, yes, gender roles, the conundrum of the modern, liberated woman. When asked if they support equality or traditional roles, most will give you the same answer :

My mum did, but on 29 February, so make of that what you will.
Reply 7
Original post by rockrunride
My mum did, but on 29 February, so make of that what you will.

I read about that, it's basically a loophole. What kind of person is she? Does she respect the man as Lord of the manor or does she pick and choose her rights and responsibilities like today's girls?
I read about that, it's basically a loophole. What kind of person is she? Does she respect the man as Lord of the manor or does she pick and choose her rights and responsibilities like today's girls?

My old man is definitely not lord of the manor.
While I'd love a romantic traditional proposal from the guy of my dreams, I've nothing against asking him myself depending on the circumstances of course :smile:
If the guy is rich enough I'm sure she would :smile:
Reply 11
Ah, yes, gender roles, the conundrum of the modern, liberated woman. When asked if they support equality or traditional roles, most will give you the same answer :

Surely it is better to not have a fixed view on "gender roles"? I think it depends on circumstances, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Some things, human rights violations, we can say are wrong- but saying that a man should propose to a woman doesn't seem like a huge inequality problem. That's why you can't say yes or no :wink:
I would personally wait for the guy to do it. I wouldn't drop hints though, I would wait to see how long it took him and would be interested to see when he personally felt it was right. My bf waited 4 years to ask me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ezme39
Surely it is better to not have a fixed view on "gender roles"? I think it depends on circumstances, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. Some things, human rights violations, we can say are wrong- but saying that a man should propose to a woman doesn't seem like a huge inequality problem. That's why you can't say yes or no :wink:

still sort of seems like a contradiction of principles though, if we're talking about fair equality (which is "fixed" in terms of its logical suggestions) vs "equitable" inequality (for one gender over another; it used to be in favour of men but it now seems to be for women). kind of reminds me about how girls want equal pay/wages yet still expect the guy in the relationship to pay for most things
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by Ezme39

But you are still expecting him to be the initiator, the decision maker, the actor in your relationship. That is very much part of the traditional male gender role. What other aspects in your relationship do you see as being determined by gender?

Original post by Spock's Socks
I would personally wait for the guy to do it. I wouldn't drop hints though, I would wait to see how long it took him and would be interested to see when he personally felt it was right. My bf waited 4 years to ask me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What other aspects in your relationship do you see as being determined by gender?
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by zippity.doodah
still sort of seems like a contradiction of principles though, if we're talking about fair equality (which is "fixed" in terms of its logical suggestions) vs "equitable" inequality (for one gender over another; it used to be in favour of men but it now seems to be for women). kind of reminds me about how girls want equal pay/wages yet still expect the guy in the relationship to pay for most things

I don't expect the guy to pay for most things, just saying :smile: All I'm saying is you can't treat everything as the same. And "fair equality"- is that something you can really judge? I think that there should be financial equality, like you have suggested, but that is very difficult to measure (wages, paying on dates, buying a ring)- even within relationships, the way of achieving this 'equality' varies. I think it's just as closed-minded to say there is only one way of meeting equality, as it is to have the stereotypical 1950's mindset :smile: that's why I think it is up to the couple to choose whether to follow traditions, such as proposals
Reply 16
But you are still expecting him to be the initiator, the decision maker, the actor in your relationship. That is very much part of the traditional male gender role. What other aspects in your relationship do you see as being determined by gender?

We don't actively think about it, but as I said previously, he is very traditional. I wouldn't say that he is always the decision maker, and in fact we usually make decisions together :smile: so I don't know if "determined" is the right word really.
It isn't something I would do without having talked about it first. I would rather not receive or give any out out of the blue proposals. I'm not all that keen on getting married anyway. :dontknow: That's how I feel now anyway.

to all those talking about gender equality is it really that important in this situation?
(edited 9 years ago)
I don't know; maybe if it felt right. I'd have to be sure. Personally I would rather the guy proposed to me.
Reply 19
Original post by Ezme39
We don't actively think about it, but as I said previously, he is very traditional. I wouldn't say that he is always the decision maker, and in fact we usually make decisions together :smile: so I don't know if "determined" is the right word really.

If he's very traditional then he obviously expects certain things from you like being feminine, cooking, cleaning, eventually taking care of the kids etc. Do you agree with that? You seem like a modern independent woman who isn't very keen on gender roles so why are you with him when you know he will expect all these things from you?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending