The Student Room Group

Firming Leeds or BSMS? Any current students?

I'm in a very fortunate position where I have offers from both unis, and will most likely firm Leeds in the upcoming weeks. However I am still not fully decided and if any current students could give my their thoughts on their med school it would be very helpful! :smile:
Reply 1
What would you like to know?
Leeds is amazing, the city and the course are perfect for me!
1st & 2nd year are lecture based which means you have all the materials you need when revision season comes along. There are only 3 exams in these 2 years, 2 anatomy spot tests throughout the year and 1 big integrated at the end of the year. No exams after christmas which is a big bonus.
You still learn anatomy through dissection which people usually prefer.
clinical years are probably similar to most other schools; 3rd year is 4 days a week placement with 2 days a week lectures, we still get a good long summer which many unis dont.
Cant speak too much about 4th & 5th years as i haven't done them yet
Original post by LCM2
What would you like to know?
Leeds is amazing, the city and the course are perfect for me!
1st & 2nd year are lecture based which means you have all the materials you need when revision season comes along. There are only 3 exams in these 2 years, 2 anatomy spot tests throughout the year and 1 big integrated at the end of the year. No exams after christmas which is a big bonus.
You still learn anatomy through dissection which people usually prefer.
clinical years are probably similar to most other schools; 3rd year is 4 days a week placement with 2 days a week lectures, we still get a good long summer which many unis dont.
Cant speak too much about 4th & 5th years as i haven't done them yet

Thank you for that! :smile: I was wondering if you had some small group teaching/learning as well as lectures, and if you were in small groups for dissection? Also would you say the course has a community feel? I know Leeds has quite a big year group, and I don't know if I'd prefer BSMS as there is a much smaller year group of 130 people! On the otherhand it might actually be nicer to have a larger year group... I know Leeds has so many societies as well!
Reply 3
Original post by Komodo dragon
Thank you for that! :smile: I was wondering if you had some small group teaching/learning as well as lectures, and if you were in small groups for dissection? Also would you say the course has a community feel? I know Leeds has quite a big year group, and I don't know if I'd prefer BSMS as there is a much smaller year group of 130 people! On the otherhand it might actually be nicer to have a larger year group... I know Leeds has so many societies as well!

Yep every week you have group tutorials of about ~15 people where you go over the weeks lectures with a tutor and have more time to ask questions and go over difficult topics etc.

In anatomy you have a group of about 5 per body which gives you plenty of opportunity to dissect etc without feeling overwhelmed

I can definitely talk to most people in my year and dont feel like the big year group is a disadvantage, medicos put on many events throughout the year which brings everyone together but you'll obviously have people in the year you hang out with more than others, thats inevitable in all class sizes.
Original post by LCM2
Yep every week you have group tutorials of about ~15 people where you go over the weeks lectures with a tutor and have more time to ask questions and go over difficult topics etc.

In anatomy you have a group of about 5 per body which gives you plenty of opportunity to dissect etc without feeling overwhelmed

I can definitely talk to most people in my year and dont feel like the big year group is a disadvantage, medicos put on many events throughout the year which brings everyone together but you'll obviously have people in the year you hang out with more than others, thats inevitable in all class sizes.

Thank you for all that info! I've decided I'll be firming Leeds and I can't wait!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending