The Student Room Group

Would most young women be OK with being the provider?

Poll

Girls, would you be want to be the provider?

There are very few couples where the woman makes more or the man stays at home or works part-time and many of those are because of circumstances like the guy losing his job or the financial crisis hitting men's jobs harder. Millions of women can enjoy the choice of doing a hobby/freelance activity as a job while earning very little or simply be a stay at home mum (even after the children have started school) but very few men are lucky to be in that position. So I'm curious if the new generation will be any different, would today's young women be happy to be the main earner and work long hours, weekends, nights, days away while the man can enjoy his hobbies and spend a lot more time with his kids?

You only have to walk around any UK city at lunch hour and see who is shopping for fun or eating lunch with friends in a nice restaurant? It's not the men (the few men you see are usually retired ones).

Scroll to see replies

I'd have no issue with being the main bread winner. I know quite a few couples where that is the case.
I seem to go for guys who are less academically inclined or in manual labour jobs, so it's probably inevitable.

To be quite honest, I'd prefer to be the main provider as my boyfriend is crap with money compared to me, but I wouldn't want to be the sole provider.
They're going to have to be OK with it because that's the way things have been headed since the early nineties
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I seem to go for guys who are less academically inclined or in manual labour jobs, so it's probably inevitable.

To be quite honest, I'd prefer to be the main provider as my boyfriend is crap with money compared to me, but I wouldn't want to be the sole provider.

Manual labour jobs can pay a lot more than many other jobs you can get with a degree
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by onegeargo
Manual labour jobs can pay a lot more than many other jobs you can get with a degree

My boyfriend's a builder and has been on the same wage in the same company for 10 years, earning less than the job I've been guaranteed when I leave uni.
(edited 9 years ago)
If i was to have a husband and children I'd never be happy with not financially contributing. But I couldn't imagine myself in that situation any way. I could imagine myself in a relationship, but a career is important to me than having kids.
Reply 7
In my relationship, we are both aiming to be high earners... but my bf seems to feel threatened at the idea of me earning more than him? I honestly don't mind, so long as I don't feel he's leeching off of me (which I'm pretty certain he wouldn't) :smile:
I don't think I'd like to be the sole breadwinner but I also don't think I could be a completely stay at home mum; I've worked since I was about 12 so I would be lost without that outside activity. Ideally childcare would be split so my future kids get to spend time with both their mum and their dad, not just one.
Reply 9
My boyfriend's a builder and has been on the same wage in the same company for 10 years, earning less than the job I've been guaranteed when I leave uni.

Subject to rounding errors

Mickey Mouse

Veterinary Science
79.4% Female
20% Male

Agriculture and related subjects
63% Female
37% Male

History and Philosophy
54.4% Female
44.6% Male

Law
61.7% Female
38.3% Male

Business and Admin
51.4% Female
48.6% Male

Social Studies
64.5% Female
35.5% Male

Languages
68.9% Female
31.1% Male

Creative Arts
61.7% Female
38.3% Male

Education
80.4% Female
19.6% Male

Not Mickey Mouse

Medicine and Dentistry (Dentistry is MM)
57.6% Female
42.3% Male

Computer Science
17.4% Female
82.6 Male

Engineering and Tech
14.3% Female
85.7% Male

Physical Sciences
42.2% Female
57.4% Male

Mathematical Sciences
42.2% Female
57.8% Male

Economics
27% Female
73% Male
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd always rather we earned a similar amount but I would have no problem being the main provider if that was how things turned out

as it happens I have a social science degree so that's very unlikely to be the case!
Reply 11
Original post by doodle_333
I'd always rather we earned a similar amount but I would have no problem being the main provider if that was how things turned out

as it happens I have a social science degree so that's very unlikely to be the case!

Why did you get that degree when you knew how little money you would earn? You know you're contributing to the gender wage gap feminists always complain about, right?
Original post by PPF

Mickey Mouse

Veterinary Science
79.4% Female
20% Male

63% Female
37% Male

History and Philosophy
54.4% Female
44.6% Male

Law
61.7% Female
38.3% Male

Business and Admin
51.4% Female
48.6% Male

Social Studies
64.5% Female
35.5% Male

Languages
68.9% Female
31.1% Male

Creative Arts
61.7% Female
38.3% Male

Education
80.4% Female
19.6% Male

Not Mickey Mouse

57.6% Female
42.3% Male

Computer Science
17.4% Female
82.6 Male

Engineering and Tech
14.3% Female
85.7% Male

Physical Sciences
42.2% Female
57.4% Male

Mathematical Sciences
42.2% Female
57.8% Male

Economics
27% Female
73% Male

I'm sorry but vet science, dentistry and law are in no way easy/mickey mouse degrees. Have you any idea what a mickey mouse degree is?
Reply 13
Original post by Eveiebaby
I'm sorry but vet science, dentistry and law are in no way easy/mickey mouse degrees. Have you any idea what a mickey mouse degree is?

Lol. Yes I do have an idea.. They are all Minnie Mouse degrees and are incomparable in terms of difficulty to mathematics and physics for example..

Compare the likes of Grigori Perelman and Einstein to whoever you regard as the "top" lawyer, vet scientist or dentist...
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by PPF

Mickey Mouse

Veterinary Science
79.4% Female
20% Male

63% Female
37% Male

History and Philosophy
54.4% Female
44.6% Male

Law
61.7% Female
38.3% Male

Business and Admin
51.4% Female
48.6% Male

Social Studies
64.5% Female
35.5% Male

Languages
68.9% Female
31.1% Male

Creative Arts
61.7% Female
38.3% Male

Education
80.4% Female
19.6% Male

Not Mickey Mouse

57.6% Female
42.3% Male

Computer Science
17.4% Female
82.6 Male

Engineering and Tech
14.3% Female
85.7% Male

Physical Sciences
42.2% Female
57.4% Male

Mathematical Sciences
42.2% Female
57.8% Male

Economics
27% Female
73% Male

I agree with the poster above; you don't seem to have much of an idea of what Mickey Mouse degrees are. And for the record, Arts degrees do not necessarily mean Mickey Mouse degrees.
Original post by onegeargo
So why do you appreciate his rough, blue collar ''masculinity'' then? You know ''masculinity'' is socially constructed , right? You only like him because society has programed you that way.

Who said anything about masculinity? You're quite clearly not even reading my posts.
Original post by PPF
Lol. Yes I do have an idea.. They are all Minnie Mouse degrees and are incomparable in terms of difficulty to mathematics and physics for example..

Compare the likes of Grigori Perelman and Einstein to whoever you regard as the "top" lawyer, vet scientist or dentist...

Languages can be just as difficult as Maths, and Arts degrees require actual freedom of thought, not just remembering and regurgitating textbook information.
Reply 17
I agree with the poster above; you don't seem to have much of an idea of what Mickey Mouse degrees are. And for the record, Arts degrees do not necessarily mean Mickey Mouse degrees.

Ok. That's your opinion.

But please do tell me of one lawyer or artist etc who has gone mental due to the intricacies and difficulty of their subject.
Reply 18
Languages can be just as difficult as Maths, and Arts degrees require actual freedom of thought, not just remembering and regurgitating textbook information.

No they can't be. Its impossible.
I would humbly suggest you to research a bit into advanced mathematics and you will find out. By the way I am not studying maths or physics so this isn't a biased judgement.
Reply 19

And how can you claim that I have no idea of what Mickey Mouse degrees are?
I have a very good idea. I am not wasting my time by writing rubbish on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending