The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by enaayrah
Of course I'm mad, your statement is amazingly ignorant and unsympathetic

Your statement was somewhat slanted - somewhat biased as if it was completely the husbands fault.

She hardly knew the guy, unless she's a 5 year old girl it's her fault as well for rushing into it.
Original post by Anonymous
I agree with this, everything has two sides. I just don't know how to avoid this happening again in the future :frown:

You can start by accepting that you weren't to blame for any of this. After that, just try to build your confidence and make sure not to marry anyone without getting to know them first.
No choice, it's just the way you've been brought up and you accept it as the norm. There are plenty of arranged marriages that are successful, I just couldn't make mine a success unfortunately

Theres nothing you can do to avoid being paired with a nasty person if other people are choosing your husband for you.
Reply 23
Original post by HQazi
Men, generally have a big ego. Perhaps it was the way you said may have came across as pride/arrogance? And thus hurt his feelings? I'm just assuming, it may not be right.
And yes you are right, part of marriage and love in the relationship between husband and wife physically.

I am sorry about this, I pray that Allah SWT ease your affairs.
Try talking and see what is the underlying problem.
Posted from TSR Mobile

I can argue that women have equally if not bigger ego than men, hypergamy is very real May Allah SWT make it easy for both of them.
No choice, it's just the way you've been brought up and you accept it as the norm. There are plenty of arranged marriages that are successful, I just couldn't make mine a success unfortunately

I have a similar background too unfortunately. But I will do anything to make sure that I don't end up the way the 'norm' dictates. The only person who should have any control over your life is you :smile:

You do have a choice, it may not be a particularly easy one but it's there. The more people start rejecting marriage conventions like this, the more women can be spared experiences like yours.
Original post by ubi1
Your statement was somewhat slanted - somewhat biased as if it was completely the husbands fault.

She hardly knew the guy, unless she's a 5 year old girl it's her fault as well for rushing into it.

Again with the ignorance...

I'm not even going to argue anymore
Your husband sounds like a complete ****tard. You are right to leave him. Yes there are two sides to every story but based on what you said, especially the bit about being unsympathetic with your bad period, shows he's not a very good person.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Look at it rationally, it's not your fault.
Hence why i believe arranged marriages should be banned (in the UK) completely because it's always the women who suffer.
Quite frankly this is basically showing that he didn't love you one bit and if was your brother i would have rearranged his face permanently.
Original post by ImAHobbit
I think in a situation like this you need to not be timid and be more assertive and strong. Stand your ground and stick up for yourself, just the way he is. He obviously has no qualms in treating you like s**t and and if i was in a situation like that i would definitely give him a taste of his own medicine.

As for your own family blaming you thats obviously culture talking. It's uneducated ignorant talk and they don't know any better then blaming the failing of a marriage on the woman. You aren't to blame here. You haven't done anything wrong except trusting the man you agreed to be your husband to be an honest decent man.

Best of luck sister x

I do know that the rare times I tried to be assertive, he became more aggressive. So I realised in order to avoid a full blown argument, I would have to be the one apologising and keep the peace.

I agree that blaming the woman is a culture thing, both mine and his family made me apologise to him and ask for forgiveness. When I questioned why it had to only be me, they said everyone (including me) has to agree I'm bad so that the marriage could be saved
I do know that the rare times I tried to be assertive, he became more aggressive. So I realised in order to avoid a full blown argument, I would have to be the one apologising and keep the peace.

I agree that blaming the woman is a culture thing, both mine and his family made me apologise to him and ask for forgiveness. When I questioned why it had to only be me, they said everyone (including me) has to agree I'm bad so that the marriage could be saved

Really shows how pathetic some cultures are if anything he should be apologising to you.

I mean he made you suffer why would you need to apologise :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:
Honestly op just leave this guy and find someone who will actualy love you.
Original post by HandmadeTurnip
You can start by accepting that you weren't to blame for any of this. After that, just try to build your confidence and make sure not to marry anyone without getting to know them first.

I'll be honest and say I don't think this will happen. If anything, this experience has taught me I'm not strong enough to sustain a marriage. The next man I marry will most likely be arranged too. The thing is that no matter how many times I saw him or text him before marriage, he showed a different side of him after marriage. He kept a lot hidden and by then it was too late to do anything but put up with it.

I have resigned myself to the belief that I will marry again and be in a similar position. The difference will be that I will have to sleep with him quickly if I am to avoid the shame and embarrassment of having my problems told to anyone they can get a hold of. I never wanted the men in his family to know about it but he ended up telling them, which made the whole thing more crippling.
Reply 35
Not your fault, the man is a ****.
Original post by goobypls
Really shows how pathetic some cultures are if anything he should be apologising to you.

I mean he made you suffer why would you need to apologise :s-smilie::s-smilie::s-smilie:

Because it was seen as I was causing him pain by saying no on the first night therefore every other thing I had happen to me, I deserved.

I agree that perhaps they are right in a sense, it must be a huge blow to the ego if your wife is unable to be intimate with you. Everything else that followed were repercussions of that first night.
I'll be honest and say I don't think this will happen. If anything, this experience has taught me I'm not strong enough to sustain a marriage. The next man I marry will most likely be arranged too. The thing is that no matter how many times I saw him or text him before marriage, he showed a different side of him after marriage. He kept a lot hidden and by then it was too late to do anything but put up with it.

I have resigned myself to the belief that I will marry again and be in a similar position. The difference will be that I will have to sleep with him quickly if I am to avoid the shame and embarrassment of having my problems told to anyone they can get a hold of. I never wanted the men in his family to know about it but he ended up telling them, which made the whole thing more crippling.

That seems like a very unhealthy way to live your life.
If he refused to reconcile and try to understand this issue from your perspective, I'm afraid that this problem will be beyond repair. Your husband should've helped you go through these rather dire circumstances and be patient. Afterall, both of you are only at the early process of getting to know each other and deserve to be given time. His anger caused by your rejections only reflects his selfishness, he only cares about his sexual needs without considering your situation. Therefore, do not place the blame on yourself, I wish you be given the best guidance.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't want this to turn into a religion bashing thread, I genuinely want opinions on whether I made the right choice in leaving my husband and if the blame is mainly on me for the breakdown of the marriage. People of all religions are welcome to reply.

It was an arranged marriage, I only saw him a couple times for a few minutes before getting married however we were texting each other. When we got married, I told him I didn't want anything to happen between us on the first night as I was really scared, we were strangers and I wanted to know him better and he said ok.

i was planning on sleeping with him in the honeymoon, which was three days later anyway. But I started my time of the month on the first night we were there so it didn't happen.

There were things about his personality that made me feel uncomfortable, as time went on he would say more things that pushed me further away from him. The first night of the marriage when I told him how nervous I was during the wedding, he said he was fine, he felt like he was a guest in it instead of getting married. On the first night of the honeymoon, he told me I wasn't normal and when I asked why, he said if he asked a hundred women one thing, they would give the same answer but I wouldnt. I didn't know how to take it so I said nothing.

As time went by, he didn't like me texting my friends so I stopped. If I wanted to go to the shops, I had to ask for his permission and his mums too (she didn't live with us) and I kept getting confused on who I should ask when.

He kept wanting me to change my behaviour and be more talkative and I did. He would always tell me how he was perfect and I had to change (this is mainly due to the non-sex) but change my personality of being introverted too (he was a very confident, extroverted man).

When we argued, he would shout at me but I wouldn't raise my voice because I wanted to be diplomatic, I am really scared of confrontations. He would slam doors on the way out and rev the car engine when speeding away.

I get really bad periods some months and once I was downstairs helping his mum with cooking. I couldn't stand up anymore and crawled up the stairs trying to get to bed. I couldn't reach the bed so I just lay in a foetal position on the floor. He was sleeping at the time and when he woke up he just ignored me and walked past downstairs (this was the first time he ever saw me this bad). Later, that day he told my family (who came for a dinner party) that he wanted them to sort me out because I wouldnt sleep with him. That night, in bed, he told me when he saw me on the floor, he didn't care. His mum told him his wife was on the floor in pain and he shrugged his shoulders.

I did say I was ready twice but both times he rejected me saying I'm not normal to have waited so long (couple months) and I needed to be fully ready.

Anyway, I left him after he kept threatening me with divorce. My family and his family, including him, were saying he wouldn't have reacted like that if I didn't say no to him the first night. So ultimately, I am to blame. I am willing to accept that.

I just want to know if this is how men usually are? It's kind of scared me off men and marriage. Is it my fault for letting things get out of hand? I admit I feel awful that I must have hurt him too by being like this, I tried everything I could to change but kept being told it's not good enough.

I commend you if you've made it this far into reading this, I'm sorry it's so long.

I personally think hat the responsibility for the failure of the first marriage lies with everyone involved, you, your parents and your ex husband...

... assuming that the "couple of times" you saw him for a "few minutes" of meetings you had would be enough to make this decision, and that should have rang an alarm bell with somebody, anybody involved in the equation...

I am not saying love at first sight doesn't exist but I can only suggest that maximizing your exposure to potentials PRIOR to making any decisions is the key...

Plus there are some other considerations you will have to make, and MOSTLY if you DO want a pious religious man, then you cannot be surprised when he will enforce certain aspects of your religion such as 'not going to shops unaccompanied'...I mean you know the rules of Islam...so acting as if he's being out of order on SOME OF those things is a bit pointless...

Furthermore in every marriage(custom/law/religion) I am aware of, not consummating (no sex) is grounds not only for divorce but for Annulment, which means that sex IS a core component that gives validity to a marriage...both in secular and religious scenarios...so next time round be aware that WHOEVER you marry will eventually WANT SEX, or again they will start moaning and talking of divorce, unless you make it clear from the start that NO SEX will be involved for however long you think you will need to get comfortable...

There is of course another tough choice you could make, get a job, move out and live your life and make your own decisions, date, meet a guy, get to know him, the secular 'vetting process' per se...but of course the resolve and implications of that could range from upsetting your folks for a few months all the way to being cutoff for good...we lough at Americans when they say freedom isn't free...but its the truth...here in the west we are benefitting from the liberties brought about by young people wanting change through the last century, achieved by upsetting the status quo and making new rules...as life is too short to live it for somebody else's pleasure...

Latest

Trending

Trending