The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

uh, imperial don't do only languages...u hae to do a subject with a year abroad to do a language here...i'm not sure how renouwned they are for their language courses either...
Reply 21
xx Rebecca
which do you think (in your opinion) are the most prestigious/well-respected unis (in order) out of durham, manchester, bath, sussex, sheffield, leeds, nottingham, liverpool, warwick and newcastle. (particularly for languages, but also just overall).

Warwick and Durham
Nottingham
Bath
Manchester
Sheffield
Leeds
Newcastle
Liverpool
Sussex

Looking over the thread I must just say I think Warwick is a very very good uni. I had an offer from them last year for International Business and I must say I was very impressed - they're facilities were top notch IMO and they're well known academically (however not so much for languages, they only have Italian, French and German departments). A lot of people dismiss it because it's relatively new and not near a major city, but I would have gone there in a heart beat if I hadn't decided that Business was not for me.
discombobulation
I'd put Liverpool above Manchester - the departments for French & Italian are about 80000 times better, I can't be sure about other languages though

what's it like at manchester? are the lectures all taught in the target language? i didn't realise i thought manchester was meant to be really good for languages :rolleyes: ... although i guess liverpool is too!
I heard sussex was ok at languages but they have loads of problems atm.
Reply 24
My friend is at Liverpool doing languages and when she didin't get into Oxford she chose Liverpool over all her others.. She went to the Sorbonne on her semester in France :biggrin:
Reply 25
cookiejest
I heard sussex was ok at languages but they have loads of problems atm.

What sort of problems?
debt and management issues i think.
lucho22
Warwick and I think also Bath have next to no literature in their courses..

Actually Warwick does have quite a lot of literature! I'm in my first year and so far have had to study 4 French books (in 10 weeks!)... and most of the options for the 2nd and 4th years are literature ones. Personally I would order them:

Warwick/Durham
Nottingham
Bath
Manchester
Sheffield
Leeds
Sussex
Liverpool
Newcastle
I don't know about for languages specifically, but overall, I'd say:

Durham
Warwick
Nottingham
Bath
Manchester
Leeds
Sheffield
Newcastle
Liverpool
Sussex

That's only my opinion though, and I think there are far more important things to consider than reputation, such as how the course is taught and assessed, how many contact hours you get, what other modules are offered apart from language, what the accommodation is like, what the social life is like and what the general area is like.
musical_moose
Actually Warwick does have quite a lot of literature! I'm in my first year and so far have had to study 4 French books (in 10 weeks!)... and most of the options for the 2nd and 4th years are literature ones. Personally I would order them:

Warwick/Durham
Nottingham
Bath
Manchester
Sheffield
Leeds
Sussex
Liverpool
Newcastle

this might sound weird but i'm really looking forward to doing all the literature! i know a lot of people try and avoid it though... which french books have you had to study? or do you choose which ones you read? what's your course like at warwick? is the italian fun? (going slightly off topic here lol :rolleyes: )
Reply 30
Actually, Warwick doesn't always brag about its league table position

Seriously it does! Well this was all that they practically talked about in their open day (by the staff).

RAEs

Yes it did very well, but what about universities like Birmingham and Sheffield whom beat Warick? They don't get mentioned, while UCL and Oxbridge are the top 3 universities and they don't talk about RAE scores.
Reply 31
Durham
Wawrick
Bath
Nottingham
Sheffield
Leeds
Newcastle
Manchester
Sussex

Is my opinion of the order. Though in NO WAY does it represent personal taste. The obvious clue to this is that I HATE Nottingham. Sorry to those of you who go there but it just did not at all appeal to me.
xx Rebecca
this might sound weird but i'm really looking forward to doing all the literature! i know a lot of people try and avoid it though... which french books have you had to study? or do you choose which ones you read? what's your course like at warwick? is the italian fun? (going slightly off topic here lol :rolleyes: )

Yeah, I don't mind literature but going from A level, where we spent a whole term on one book, to uni where you do 1 every 2 weeks is quite a big step up! So far we have done:

'La Place' -Annie Ernaux
'Le coeur a rire et pleurer' - Maryse Condé
'Mateo Falcone' and 'Tamango' (2 short stories) by Merimée
'Phedre' - Racine

I've found them fairly easy to read, apart from Phedre (it's written like Shakespeare plays.. but in French! I had to get an English translation to help me with that!)
I'm really enjoying the course.. I have 4 hours of French language each week. That consists of 1 grammar and translation lesson (which I've found very useful), a French essay class, a grammar lecture and 1 speaking lesson. I then have 2 hours of literature each week (1 seminar and 1 lecture) and 2.5 hours of French history/politics/culture (again 1 lecture and 1 seminar). Italian's great!!! I started it from scratch... The pace hasn't been too bad though- we've only just got on to talking about the past. It's such a fun langauge to speak and is definitely made easier if you already know French! It's been cool going from French lessons where we've been doing complicated grammatical stuff to Italian, where we've been learning how to count to 100, colours, describing people and labelling diagrams of the human body! hehe. Have you done Italian before or will you be starting it from scratch too? xx
Luce you beat me to it!

And I cannot believe you didn't like Phedre, best book of the lot!
Warwick does have a lot of literature but coming from someone who usually hates it I'm really enjoying the French side of things.

I'm studying German too if you need any info on that? Otherwise you've got pretty much everything in Lucinda's post...

And Warwick mentioned league tables once in my open day talk - to say how stupid they are...
musical_moose
The pace hasn't been too bad though- we've only just got on to talking about the past. It's such a fun langauge to speak and is definitely made easier if you already know French! It's been cool going from French lessons where we've been doing complicated grammatical stuff to Italian, where we've been learning how to count to 100, colours, describing people and labelling diagrams of the human body!

Lol that's exactly how it is for me, but I do French and ab initio Spanish at Exeter. It feels like going from first year degree level right back to Year 7 again! :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending