The Student Room Group

What should I firm?

Hey guys! Have two offers to study sociology at University of Leeds and University of Glasgow - which one should I be firming (in your opinion), and why? I'd love to get some different opinions, since I'm very much in doubt myself :-)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UCASnoob
Hey guys! Have two offers to study sociology at University of Leeds and University of Glasgow - which one should I be firming (in your opinion), and why? I'd love to get some different opinions, since I'm very much in doubt myself :-)

What's important to you in a uni?

Which set of modules do you prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you Scottish (free uni ftw)? Do prefer the city of Glasgow or Leeds? :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Origami Bullets
What's important to you in a uni?

Which set of modules do you prefer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Socializing and having classmates who are serious about their education. It's also really important to live in a nice campus area, and having possibilities to travel abroad to places in Asia/Africa :-)
Reply 4
Original post by Wahrheit
Are you Scottish (free uni ftw)? Do prefer the city of Glasgow or Leeds? :smile:

No, but I'm German - so it's still free for me! I've only ever been to Leeds, and I loved the city! Just so in doubt....
No, but I'm German - so it's still free for me! I've only ever been to Leeds, and I loved the city! Just so in doubt....

Why is it free??
Reply 6
Original post by scrunkie
Why is it free??

The Scottish government covers your fees if you're a student from the EU :smile:

Ah ok cool!

Glasgow, generally, had a worse reputation as a city than Leeds. They are quite a similar size, but Glasgow is quite notorious for crime and stuff...I've never been there myself, though. I'd say Leeds probably has a better reputation as a university in England and Glasgow has a better reputation in Scotland but to be honest it really does just depend who you ask :smile:
The Scottish government covers your fees if you're a student from the EU :smile:

But it doesn't cover fees for students from England/Wales/Northern Ireland?
Reply 9
Original post by Wahrheit
Ah ok cool!

Glasgow, generally, had a worse reputation as a city than Leeds. They are quite a similar size, but Glasgow is quite notorious for crime and stuff...I've never been there myself, though. I'd say Leeds probably has a better reputation as a university in England and Glasgow has a better reputation in Scotland but to be honest it really does just depend who you ask :smile:

Ok! My gut feeling says Leeds, so I think I'm going to go with that. Their sociology department is also in the top 10 in the UK, which is quite impressive! But thank you for your view on things- it's hard to judge when you're from a different country

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
But it doesn't cover fees for students from England/Wales/Northern Ireland?

Unfortunately it doesn't ....:/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately it doesn't ....:/

Posted from TSR Mobile

See that's ridiculous. Are the rest of the UK students not EU members too? Nothing to do with you, I hope you figure out where you want to go, I just think it's ridiculous how everyone else (practically) gets free education but we don't ;/
Ok! My gut feeling says Leeds, so I think I'm going to go with that. Their sociology department is also in the top 10 in the UK, which is quite impressive! But thank you for your view on things- it's hard to judge when you're from a different country

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah definitely! I know loads of guys who went to Leeds and they all LOVED it so I'm sure you'll have an awesome time!!
Reply 13
See that's ridiculous. Are the rest of the UK students not EU members too? Nothing to do with you, I hope you figure out where you want to go, I just think it's ridiculous how everyone else (practically) gets free education but we don't ;/

I think it has something to do with Scotland being so close to England that all the English students would just go there, if it was free. But I'm not quite sure, it seems a bit unfair :/ And thank you! Good luck to you too!
I think it has something to do with Scotland being so close to England that all the English students would just go there, if it was free. But I'm not quite sure, it seems a bit unfair :/ And thank you! Good luck to you too!

No, it's a reciprocal agreement between the EU and Scotland. It works both ways:

A Scottish resident going to uni in an EU country has to be treated like a local, likewise an EU country resident coming to Scotland has to be treated equally. (Most times this means no tuition fees)

In the case of England, Scottish residents have to pay tuition fees when going to England, so therefore English students coming here have to pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Princepieman
No, it's a reciprocal agreement between the EU and Scotland. It works both ways:

A Scottish resident going to uni in an EU country has to be treated like a local, likewise an EU country resident coming to Scotland has to be treated equally. (Most times this means no tuition fees)

In the case of England, Scottish residents have to pay tuition fees when going to England, so therefore English students coming here have to pay.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aaahh, makes sense! Thanks for clearing it up :smile:

I get what you mean but like UCASnoob said would anyone even bother applying for unis in england if there were no tuition fees in Scotland because I certainly wouldn't. I don't think the unis would survive with EU students, Scottish students and English students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a fellow German - if you consider both cities, why the hell would you go for a place where you pay 9000 pounds A YEAR while the other one is completely free?! I personally didn't even apply for Unis in England (just Wales and Scotland) simply because of that.
Reply 18
Original post by Ann-Sophie
As a fellow German - if you consider both cities, why the hell would you go for a place where you pay 9000 pounds A YEAR while the other one is completely free?! I personally didn't even apply for Unis in England (just Wales and Scotland) simply because of that.

Well, in my opinion money shouldn't determine your choice of uni. If you like some place that costs 9000 pounds better than a free one, you should still choose the one that costs money in my opinion (unless it bankrupts you of course). Money is just money, and you should be more focussed on where you want to spend 3 years of your life - because those 3 years, on the other hand, are priceless! :wink: But I see your point.

*addition: Leeds is also quite cheaper to live in than Glasgow :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Well I'm glad you don't mind a loan of 21,000 pounds at the end of your studies that you ought to work off afterwards :smile:
And if you can, why don't you fly over and visit both cities (and Unis) to get a feel of them? Maybe during term time so you see how many students there are?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending