The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Probably doesn't happen often, if at all. I can't imagine it'd be much fun going somewhere that has said they don't want you.
Reply 2
well i was rejected but had extenuating circumstances...
if plain you have no exten. circumstances it is unlikely...actually saying that i know a guy who did beg and they let him in...so yes you can do it, but you have to know the right times to get in contact and how often.you dont wanna bell them off too much.
I doubt it, unless you made a mistake/they misinterpreted something on your UCAS form or there was something you forgot to tell them.
From what I've seen, unis have 'complaints' procedures for undergraduate applications, but not 'appeal' procedures.

This basically means that you can complain about a rejection if you believe you have been treated unfairly compared to others who also receieved a rejection (i.e. misled by uni prospectus, application not dealt with in time, application lost, uni guidelines not followed). I imagine that this is rare though.

Similiarly, you can complain to UCAS if they messed things up for you.

If you simply don't agree with their decision on your application, I suppose you can telephone/write/email asking for feedback. This may help if you choose to reapply in a gap year.
Reply 5
My friend was rejection from all the unis he applied to for medicine, despite his 5 A grades. He appealed against Manchester's decision and they offered him a place! He is in his first year now :smile:
Reply 6
I am sure someone on this forum got a rejection from Durham, asked why and got told they had made an error and they offered him a place.
I had a friend who was rejected without interview for Vet Med at Bristol. She had perfect grades, played musical instruments, more work experience than you would have thought possible and went to an under-performing school (my one). She wrote a letter elaborating on all this and they changed their mind and gave her interview. However, they then rejected her after interview, but at least that seemed a bit fairer.
It doesn't happen often. And if you complain and win, you know they're only doing it out of pity. I'd rather go to a crappy uni that wants me than a good uni that resents my presence :p:.
hmmm...ru sure about that? some things r easier said than done! 3 or more yrs of ur life spent somewhere u didnt really wna go as opposed to somewhere that u really wanted to go???
best way to fight the rejection is to question why you got rejected. ie write a letter asking why!! if you was not to ask formally with a letter you would never know why you did get rejected...but if you do then you will know!!!
Reply 11
This one girl in my school got rejected for Law at a Uni and phoned up herself to ask why and they changed their mind.
Reply 12
I don't get why people complain if they get rejected? I got rejected from all my offers but I never once questioned it. They rejected you for a reason...you just have to accept it.
DebraN9
I don't get why people complain if they get rejected? I got rejected from all my offers but I never once questioned it. They rejected you for a reason...you just have to accept it.

no thats ridiculous you have a right know why.
Being accepted isn't a right, so I don't see why you would question it. I just assumed there were other candidates more suitable than me. I wouldn't want to go somewhere that rejected me anyway, and I certainly wouldn't be begging for them to let me in.
lyrical_maze
no thats ridiculous you have a right know why.

Well really, if you get rejected, you know why already:

either 1) you're not good enough, or 2) the course is oversubscribed.

So a rejection is always for a reason.
Reply 16
I asked the univeristy why I was rejected and they made a very big mistake, because they intrepreted wrong my TOEFL score. As the rejection was only because of my English they gave me an offer. I didn`t beg for it or something. I just asked them for the reason. If you see that they made a mistake (i.e.expect 500 TOEFL points if there are only 120), you can say it to them.

DebraN9
I don't get why people complain if they get rejected?

I think, everyone can ask why he was rejected. You don´t have to complain, but why don`t ask them? LSE , for example, has an extra online formular for that.
Reply 17
I think there is a difference in fighting a rejection or asking unis for which reasons you got rejected. If I got rejected I'd like to hear for which reasons so I can do better next time. I'd ask the uni for the reasons, even if it is a simple "the course is oversuscribed but there was nothing wrong with your application".
IzzyWizzy
Being accepted isn't a right, so I don't see why you would question it. I just assumed there were other candidates more suitable than me. I wouldn't want to go somewhere that rejected me anyway, and I certainly wouldn't be begging for them to let me in.

:ditto: Durham rejected me last year and of course I was disappointed, but I didn't think 'how dare they reject me!' and go on a rampage demanding to know why. To be honest, I think that would come across as really arrogant, as though they couldn't possibly have meant to reject you because you're far too good. That's only my opinion though.
Reply 19
kellywood_5
:ditto: Durham rejected me last year and of course I was disappointed, but I didn't think 'how dare they reject me!' and go on a rampage demanding to know why. To be honest, I think that would come across as really arrogant, as though they couldn't possibly have meant to reject you because you're far too good. That's only my opinion though.

:ditto: It's fine to ask and see if there's anything you could have improved on, but anything else just comes across as desperate (e.g. going on an arrogant rampage at Oxford saying 'how dare you, I've been reading Freud since I was six!'). In most cases you should just accept it and move on - everything in life usually happens for a reason.

Latest

Trending

Trending