The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Location

Basically I hope to study Biological Sciences at University next year and most likely will be putting Warwick as my firm.

However when I visited I disliked the location, as it was rather far out from other places. Everyone said that Birmingham was only a train ride away but I don't really like Birmingham (no offence) so is there anywhere else?

Some have said about Coventry if so whats that like?
Reply 1
Original post by Kat135
Basically I hope to study Biological Sciences at University next year and most likely will be putting Warwick as my firm.

However when I visited I disliked the location, as it was rather far out from other places. Everyone said that Birmingham was only a train ride away but I don't really like Birmingham (no offence) so is there anywhere else?

Some have said about Coventry if so whats that like?

I'm an applicant as well and to be fair warwicks location is just poor. Theres no escaping it. If you don't like birmingham then you'll hate Cov. However, I've been told leamington spa is quite nice so I'm going to have a visit up there next week or so.

I guess the megabus stops right outside the campus which goes to London in under 2 hours.
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by Age
I'm an applicant as well and to be fair warwicks location is just poor. Theres no escaping it. If you don't like birmingham then you'll hate Cov. However, I've been told leamington spa is quite nice so I'm going to have a visit up there next week or so.

I guess the megabus stops right outside the campus which goes to London in under 2 hours.

Hey to both posters,

I am a second year and have been living at Warwick for two years now. There is pretty much no escaping Warwick as a campus, they call it 'the bubble' and that's how it feels; sometimes it is like you can't get away from anything/to anything else and I come from a big city so that was hard to get used to. Coventry, without being rude, is grim. Not a nice place really and the people aren't that friendly. Kasbah is reportedly the best club though and that's in Coventry!

I now live in Leamington, where lots of us live, and it's lovely! Couldn't fault it, nice place to live, full of students and old, rich people, and even south of the river, where I live, it is not considered that nice, and yet is still pretty nice!

Hope that's helpful!
Reply 3
Original post by dmrich
Hey to both posters,

I am a second year and have been living at Warwick for two years now. There is pretty much no escaping Warwick as a campus, they call it 'the bubble' and that's how it feels; sometimes it is like you can't get away from anything/to anything else and I come from a big city so that was hard to get used to. Coventry, without being rude, is grim. Not a nice place really and the people aren't that friendly. Kasbah is reportedly the best club though and that's in Coventry!

I now live in Leamington, where lots of us live, and it's lovely! Couldn't fault it, nice place to live, full of students and old, rich people, and even south of the river, where I live, it is not considered that nice, and yet is still pretty nice!

Hope that's helpful!

Thanks for this! :smile:
I'm choosing between Warwick and Bristol and the Clifton area of Bristol is just amazing. Coming from London I'm kind of used to nice and rough areas but I just hope leamington can beat Clifton. I heard some stuff about crime in Leam which kind of made me anxious but I guess this just happens anywhere! How is the commute to the uni? Are the buses super packed?
Reply 4
Original post by Age
Thanks for this! :smile:
I'm choosing between Warwick and Bristol and the Clifton area of Bristol is just amazing. Coming from London I'm kind of used to nice and rough areas but I just hope leamington can beat Clifton. I heard some stuff about crime in Leam which kind of made me anxious but I guess this just happens anywhere! How is the commute to the uni? Are the buses super packed?

Never been to Bristol but have heard it's a beautiful place! Nothing to worry about regarding crime in Leamington: some dodgy and regretful stuff happens but definitely not more than what you might expect anywhere.

The commute to uni is very hit and miss. The SU is currently petitioning for reform of the bus services though so hopefully it'll change soon. At the minute, the buses are very packed, and though they are regular, they sometimes are late or don't come. However, the service has been forced to be this way because of the roadworks that currently block the main road to the university. Without these roadworks, the service would be fine! With them, it can be a nightmare sadly. :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by dmrich
Hey to both posters,

Hope that's helpful!

See I already come from a "bubble" where buses are rare and it takes half an hour to get anywhere remotely town like, sure its nice but I don't want to sign up for another 4 years of it.

Aww now I'm unsure what to do because Warwick looks amazing for the course, reputation and everything it offers just the location is such a downfall.
Reply 6
Original post by Kat135
See I already come from a "bubble" where buses are rare and it takes half an hour to get anywhere remotely town like, sure its nice but I don't want to sign up for another 4 years of it.

Aww now I'm unsure what to do because Warwick looks amazing for the course, reputation and everything it offers just the location is such a downfall.

When you're on-campus, you really won't need to go anywhere else. Everything's around you, and the people you will meet and friends you'll make will also rarely venture off-campus except for the occasional night out in Coventry or Leamington. During 2nd year, when you move off-campus, it's much better, so it's really only 1 year of the bubble and if you really like the university, I wouldn't let it put you off. :smile:
I live in Coventry and I'm going to Warwick to study MA in Social Work in September. I know the campus well and it's definitely a bubble, you'd probably never need to leave tbh! However, it's definitely not remote, it on the edge of Coventry, which is a city - it's not the liveliest or best for nights out, but there are few decent pubs, shops etc.

Birmingham is about 20 mins on train and is great for shopping, theatre etc. not the most attractive place, but there is a lot going on, so worth a visit.

Leamington isn't far and a lot of students live there. There is also other towns nearby such as Warwick, Kenilworth and Stratford. So Warwick Uni isn't 'in the middle of nowhere' by any means, but I'd imagine it's very different from somewhere like Bristol or some other much larger cities....

Quick Reply

Latest