The Student Room Group

Should Alex Salmond (SNP) be allowed to stand as an MP?

Alex Salmond while Scottish Leader, wrote on the official Scottish parliament note paper, encouraging Fred The Shred (Chairman of RBS) to buy arn amro bank which turned into a £77,000,000,000 lose for the tax payer (£77 billion is bigger then the entire UK education budget).
As a direct result of this debt there are more and more food banks and soup kitchens up and down the entire UK...

Should a man like that be allowed to continue in public office?

Although labour got us into this mess I do not think any of them actually went as far as writing to RBS encouraging them to buy this debt mountain.

The only encouragment, as far as I know, comes directly from Alex Salmond, who I might add was a professional economist and an ex-employee of RBS...

He should have known better.
I think he should be barred from office.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2760109/How-Alex-Salmond-cheed-pal-Fred-Shred-ruined-Royal-Bank-Scotland.html

Whats more many SNP supporters blame the LIB DEMS for education cut backs - it beggers belief!!!
(edited 9 years ago)
-Labour didn't cause the banking collapse
-Alex Salmond recommended a bank bailout, not surprising since if you didn't bail them out you'd have a minor economic collapse.

So in short, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Fanatical Geek
-Labour didn't cause the banking collapse
-Alex Salmond recommended a bank bailout, not surprising since if you didn't bail them out you'd have a minor economic collapse.

So in short, yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, you have written 100% the reverse of the truth - your words are so bad it reads like a paragraph from 1984.

Read my link provided :

"
Freshly installed as First Minister of Scotland in May 2007, he wrote to Goodwin. ‘Dear Fred,’ he began, on Government-headed paper. ‘I want you to know I am watching events on the ABN front closely. It is in Scottish interests for RBS to be successful and I would like to offer any assistance my office can provide. Good luck with the bid.’
Salmond signed off with a flourish: ‘Yours for Scotland, Alex.’
The absurdly over-valued £55 billion ABN Amro takeover, which would double the size of RBS and thus make it vulnerable to potential market shocks, turned out to be a disaster, the worst deal in banking history.
Yet even as Salmond put pen to paper, it was clear to most experts that a financial storm was gathering

So, he's a politician that made a mistake so he shouldn't become an MP?

What about Ed Balls? Or all the ex MP's in the Lords?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Fanatical Geek
So, he's a politician that made a mistake so he shouldn't become an MP?

What about Ed Balls? Or all the ex MP's in the Lords?

Posted from TSR Mobile

They never lied about having legal advice and then spent tax payers money hiding that lie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10367759/Alex-Salmond-spent-20000-keeping-secret-non-existent-EU-legal-advice.html
Reply 6
Original post by MatureStudent36
They never lied about having legal advice and then spent tax payers money hiding that lie.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/scotland/10367759/Alex-Salmond-spent-20000-keeping-secret-non-existent-EU-legal-advice.html

Thanks - I've added that to my list.

Looking at the current Sturgeon "smear" it makes sense to me that the SNP fabricated the letter (at least its possible).

1) Sending to TORYgraph smears the Conservatives.
2) It smears Labour by making them look like they are working together with the Torys.
3) statistically speaking the SNP have the most young volenteers who might go off script from time to time (eg say referendum was fixed).
4) The SNP have a history of being rash (salmond letters).
5) The big gainer out of this has been the SNP.
Original post by FredOrJohn
Thanks - I've added that to my list.

Looking at the current Sturgeon "smear" it makes sense to me that the SNP fabricated the letter (at least its possible).

1) Sending to TORYgraph smears the Conservatives.
2) It smears Labour by making them look like they are working together with the Torys.
3) statistically speaking the SNP have the most young volenteers who might go off script from time to time (eg say referendum was fixed).
4) The SNP have a history of being rash (salmond letters).
5) The big gainer out of this has been the SNP.

Fabricated what letter. There was no letter.

When you say it smears labour, you should have a look at this and read up on the SNPs support for in 79 for getting Thatcher voted in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11514933/Nicola-Sturgeon-secretly-backs-David-Cameron.html

Be wary though. Over criticism of the snp makes you a target of their on line supporters. Given enough time they'll **** things up. Or more realistically, given more time they'll find it even harder to hide their **** ups.
Reply 8
Original post by MatureStudent36
Fabricated what letter. There was no letter.

When you say it smears labour, you should have a look at this and read up on the SNPs support for in 79 for getting Thatcher voted in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/SNP/11514933/Nicola-Sturgeon-secretly-backs-David-Cameron.html

Be wary though. Over criticism of the snp makes you a target of their on line supporters. Given enough time they'll **** things up. Or more realistically, given more time they'll find it even harder to hide their **** ups.

Yeah, I guess you are right.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending