The Student Room Group

Philosophy A Level VS. History A Level

Hey guys! so basically, I have sent an application off to two colleges and I'm torn between the two! one college does history a level whereas the other college doesn't, but the other college does philosophy a level and the college that does history doesn't do philosophy.
I've tried to look for information on the internet between the two subjects and what I have gathered is that their both equally as hard and I'm so torn between the two :frown: I really don't know what to choose so if you could give me advice or you're a student who is in year 11 considering these subjects or you're currently studying one of the subjects for a levels or you already have let me know what its like and help me come to a decision!
REMEBER: I can only choose one of the subjects there isn't an option as to choosing both of them
get back asap please
I'm doing both at A2 and history is, for me, significantly more challenging because there is more to learn (and my memory is not great). Having said that, I enjoy history more because I find what I'm studying to be really interesting.

See what you'll be studying in each course and pick whichever seems more interesting to you. I find philosophy to be much less interesting than I anticipated but you might enjoy it more.

Also, which college do you prefer? Does one have better teachers? Maybe list pros and cons of each one because at the end of the day you'll be there for two years so you don't want to regret your choice.
Reply 2
I do history as and it really depends on your topics. Philosophy looks pretty interesting too. History is about remember the info but more so having a good essay technique

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
I do both at AS at the moment, and I'm planning on carrying both on at A2 alongside English Literature. History is defiatly the hardest out of all of my subjects, and it was the biggest jump from GCSE. It's still enjoyable, but each school chooses what topics they want to teach you. We do Gladstone and Disraeli and Cold War, which isn't really to my taste but it could be worse. I've found that I also need to go over my notes a lot as there is so much content for it. Philosophy wasn't a very big jump from GCSE in comparison. There were quite a few people in the class who hadn't studied it before and they didn't take long to catch up. It's very interesting, and personally it has made me consider things in a different light. Some of the theories can be quite difficult to get your head around at first, but once you get used to them it becomes easier. Both are completely essay based, and I've found that they intertwine as well. Feel free to ask if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by edgarcats
I'm doing both at A2 and history is, for me, significantly more challenging because there is more to learn (and my memory is not great). Having said that, I enjoy history more because I find what I'm studying to be really interesting.

See what you'll be studying in each course and pick whichever seems more interesting to you. I find philosophy to be much less interesting than I anticipated but you might enjoy it more.

Also, which college do you prefer? Does one have better teachers? Maybe list pros and cons of each one because at the end of the day you'll be there for two years so you don't want to regret your choice.

I've tried to do a pros and cons list and they both have the same amount of advantages and disadvantages and the fact is that both the subject content is so interesting so im so torn
Original post by oswalds
I do both at AS at the moment, and I'm planning on carrying both on at A2 alongside English Literature. History is defiatly the hardest out of all of my subjects, and it was the biggest jump from GCSE. It's still enjoyable, but each school chooses what topics they want to teach you. We do Gladstone and Disraeli and Cold War, which isn't really to my taste but it could be worse. I've found that I also need to go over my notes a lot as there is so much content for it. Philosophy wasn't a very big jump from GCSE in comparison. There were quite a few people in the class who hadn't studied it before and they didn't take long to catch up. It's very interesting, and personally it has made me consider things in a different light. Some of the theories can be quite difficult to get your head around at first, but once you get used to them it becomes easier. Both are completely essay based, and I've found that they intertwine as well. Feel free to ask if you have any questions :smile:

They both look really good I know for a fact that if I choose history i'll regret not doing philosophy and the same goes for philosophy and their both equally hard so im really torn :frown:
Original post by Fay17
I do history as and it really depends on your topics. Philosophy looks pretty interesting too. History is about remember the info but more so having a good essay technique

Posted from TSR Mobile

i'm not the best at essays but I don't want that to determine my choice
Reply 7
Original post by mosca.osmani
Hey guys! so basically, I have sent an application off to two colleges and I'm torn between the two! one college does history a level whereas the other college doesn't, but the other college does philosophy a level and the college that does history doesn't do philosophy.
I've tried to look for information on the internet between the two subjects and what I have gathered is that their both equally as hard and I'm so torn between the two :frown: I really don't know what to choose so if you could give me advice or you're a student who is in year 11 considering these subjects or you're currently studying one of the subjects for a levels or you already have let me know what its like and help me come to a decision!
REMEBER: I can only choose one of the subjects there isn't an option as to choosing both of them
get back asap please

I am currently studying AS history and AS RE in which there is an exam on philosophy of religion. They are both essay based but history you have to remember dates and info in chronological order, philosophy is remembering people, quotes and arguments. But both are hard.
Personally I really enjoy History and I recommend it,
But the choice is yours :smile:
Original post by J_1234
I am currently studying AS history and AS RE in which there is an exam on philosophy of religion. They are both essay based but history you have to remember dates and info in chronological order, philosophy is remembering people, quotes and arguments. But both are hard.
Personally I really enjoy History and I recommend it,
But the choice is yours :smile:

thank you im still so torned tho!
I do both at AS. The new philosophy exam doesn't require a great deal of essay skill, while the history exam does. I'd also say history had more content to learn e.g dates, names, places, statistics. But they're both extremely enjoyable and I'd stress that both would be VERY hard with a bad teacher, so go for the one with the best teaching.
Original post by antisansculotte
I do both at AS. The new philosophy exam doesn't require a great deal of essay skill, while the history exam does. I'd also say history had more content to learn e.g dates, names, places, statistics. But they're both extremely enjoyable and I'd stress that both would be VERY hard with a bad teacher, so go for the one with the best teaching.

That's very sad to hear. I did read an article saying they had dumbed down Philosophy which is immensely saddening as I am hoping to redo it this year :frown:
--
OP - Someone made a similar thread a month back or so, I'll just quote myself (they were philosophy or physics)

Philosophy is an immensely difficult subject in terms of essays (much like English Literature at A Level), if you can actually achieve an A in A Level Philosophy you are extremely competent and bright. However, do not let that discourage you.

IMO the struggle with Philosophy is writing the essays. I only did college for 1 year, but all of my subjects were essay based and philosophy required radically more thought to go into it and you needed to structure your arguments very well. IIRC You actually lose marks in philosophy (have them deducted) for poor structure as opposed to simply not gaining a mark like other subjects.

I am going back to coll. this year to study philosophy again. It's an incredibly thoughtful subject and there were many fun debates in class etc. you should really consider philosophy, it's unfortunate how little people seem to care about it.

--
Most of that might not apply now if they really have made it easier though... how unfortunate. Once again the government ruins the education system.
Original post by antisansculotte

thank you for replying! sorry I haven't been on for awhile, the thing about your advice is this is for my future education at a college as I wont be going to my school's sixth form therefore I don't know what the teaching is like#;// I don't know anyone from the college I want to go nor do they do taster sessions
Original post by Inexorably
That's very sad to hear. I did read an article saying they had dumbed down Philosophy which is immensely saddening as I am hoping to redo it this year :frown:
--
OP - Someone made a similar thread a month back or so, I'll just quote myself (they were philosophy or physics)

Philosophy is an immensely difficult subject in terms of essays (much like English Literature at A Level), if you can actually achieve an A in A Level Philosophy you are extremely competent and bright. However, do not let that discourage you.

IMO the struggle with Philosophy is writing the essays. I only did college for 1 year, but all of my subjects were essay based and philosophy required radically more thought to go into it and you needed to structure your arguments very well. IIRC You actually lose marks in philosophy (have them deducted) for poor structure as opposed to simply not gaining a mark like other subjects.

I am going back to coll. this year to study philosophy again. It's an incredibly thoughtful subject and there were many fun debates in class etc. you should really consider philosophy, it's unfortunate how little people seem to care about it.

--
Most of that might not apply now if they really have made it easier though... how unfortunate. Once again the government ruins the education system.

haha thank you for replying! sorry, I haven't been on for awhile and yes the government are going to change things://but I still think that difficulty in subjects will remain the same. whilst looking at the issue of essays I am not the best! however it is between history an philosophy because I so want to do it! at the moment I think I'm going to go for philosophy but my choices can change.
Original post by oswalds

could you please elaborate wen you say they intertwine xxx
I do both and while they're both academically rigorous, its in different ways. I've never sat in a history lesson and not grasped the concepts but there's been a few philosophy lessons where I've had to ask the teacher/re-read the textbook/ watch some youtube videos to fully appreciate an idea. The other point which depends what syllabus you do but for me on AQA: history is all essays in the exam whereas philosophy has a mixture of short and long answer so it depends where your strengths lie. Again syllabus dependant but for Philosophy there's no element of choice (on AQA at least) whereas your teacher/school picks which topics you cover in History so check the modules your college covers (no point doing wars of the roses or vikings for two years if you prefer modern history). But overall, you'll enjoy whichever because they're both great subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest