The Student Room Group

Photosynthesis

Im a GCSE student which a tendency towards physics, so my knowledge of biology isn't brilliant, but this has been bugging me.

Photosynthesis requires light for energy. This surely means photons are 'used'. But these are present in all types of electromagnetic radiation. Why don't plants utilise the infrared radiation wasted from respiration? Is it just chance that they haven't evolved a suitable pigment?

Thanks,

Gabby. Xx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by GabbyJ
Im a GCSE student which a tendency towards physics, so my knowledge of biology isn't brilliant, but this has been bugging me.

Photosynthesis requires light for energy. This surely means photons are 'used'. But these are present in all types of electromagnetic radiation. Why don't plants utilise the infrared radiation wasted from respiration? Is it just chance that they haven't evolved a suitable pigment?

Thanks,

Gabby. Xx

Hello!

The Photosynthesis of plants consists of a pigment system. Within this system the plants are able to absorb light between 390 nm and 720 nm, so light radiation between blue and red. Infrared radiation is over 770 nm, it can't be absorbed by plants.
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest