The Student Room Group

Bullied due to my name

So I'm 17, soon to be 18 and all my life I've been laughed at and made fun of because of my name.
My name is Winner. Silly, stupid and ridiculous. And on top of it all I do not have a middle name, so when people ask I make a fake name up and say it but I'm took of using fake names. I want to have a normal name!! This makes me isolate myself from others.
Winner is a cool name, be grateful you don't have a foreign name that no one can pronounce :ashamed2:
What jokes do they make?

It's an unusual name but I can't see how I would make fun of it
Reply 3
You can change your name via deed poll (you don't need parental permission after 16) if it bothers you that much :smile:
Original post by Mindsoodeep
So I'm 17, soon to be 18 and all my life I've been laughed at and made fun of because of my name.
My name is Winner. Silly, stupid and ridiculous. And on top of it all I do not have a middle name, so when people ask I make a fake name up and say it but I'm took of using fake names. I want to have a normal name!! This makes me isolate myself from others.

Live up to your name! Act like a winner and be a winner :wink:
Isolate yourself from the 'losers' :smile: (hope you see what I did there XD)
If it really bothers you that much you can change it legally once you're 16 as someone above said.

However it's probably best to rise above it, find a reason to be proud of your name and take no notice of anyone genuinely making fun of you. I'd take banter on the chin though, that's often not meant in a malicious way.

My situation is a bit different, I was bullied for being very short for most of my life. But eventually I just decided sod it, it doesn't matter what anyone thinks of my height. It's who I am, I've accepted it and I'm proud of it. Now I use small as a nickname, I took the power of that word back and now I use it in a positive way, in a way I decided to because I like it not because of someone's silly opinions. Perhaps you could do something similar, and like someone above said be a winner.
Reply 6
Have you ever asked your parents wtf they were thinking? Who the hell names their kid winner?
Reply 7
Original post by Mindsoodeep

Winner is actually the name of my favourite south korean group. However i dont really love this name on anyone but confidence!!! Have that. Just be like "Yo wassup, im winna"! Idk. But dont worry because there are people with names which half of the world cant pronounce so, i guess you are better off. I have a friend whose mother's name is Simple and her sister's name is Dimple!
I know a family who named their sons "Moonrise" and "Sunrise". Haha wtf right. Im not even lying.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Ignore them- your name isn't bad so don't be ashamed of it!
I've been made fun of my whole life for my name, I'll tell you it if you'd really like to know, but eventually there comes a point where the apathy sets in. I used to give false names at Starbucks and also researched changing my name legally, but it costs a lot of money to replace the documents that need to be changed. Eventually I got over it, there's only so many jokes that can be made. It gets old soon, the same jokes repeated over and over again. I guess you can take something from this, as do I, to NOT name our children names like the ones we endured.
No one really cares, other than idiots. At some point you have to learn to let go, because there's a **** load of stupid people, who only gain any experience when they're too old to make amends.

Your name is odd, embrace it. Make jokes, go with it. You've heard the same lines on it for years, you make them your jokes. You laugh about it, everyone is cool. There's nothing better than when someone tries to attack someone regarding their perceived oddity, of which they're comfortable with. Then they joke about it. It's like holding a gun at Magneto.
Reply 11
At least it wasn't weiner. That would be 100x worse.
(edited 9 years ago)
Dude, my name is Sacha (middle name Edmond) so you're not alone. It kinda gets funny after a while and having a recognizable, memorable name is not always a bad thing.
Don't worry, the childish jokes will stop as you get into the real world
Original post by daisychain_
Don't worry, the childish jokes will stop as you get into the real world

If only this were actually true in life....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending