The Student Room Group

Gender Identity: What now?

I won't go into any hard-core details in this thread, since I know this isn't particularly aimed towards transgenders, non-binarys, ect, but I need some guidance.

I'm seventeen, and think that I am transgender. I've talked to counselors online about this, but they never seem to give me any useful suggestions or support on the matter.
I have tried Childline - several times - but feel as though they're trying to advertise their message boards rather than giving me real-world advice.

Inside, I'm pretty certain that I am meant to be the opposite sex, but I'm confused, and don't know where to go from this. My relationship with my family is terrible, and have no actual friends. It seems I'm completely alone.

What now?

You need to go talk to your GP about it. I'm not 100% sure of the process but I'm pretty sure they can then refer you to some counselling, there you can talk about everything and they can assess you and help you figure out/understand why you feel that way, and help you decide if it's something you definitely want to go through with. Once you're assessed and if it's decided you want to carry on with the process I think you can be referred to a Gender Identity clinic where you possible have some talking therapy? (Not sure). And go through it again, then go further if you still want to.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure on this and there are probably people on here who can give you a more accurate better idea than me as I just know from what I've heard. I hope you get your answers, and get where you want to be in life :biggrin:!
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

I won't go into any hard-core details in this thread, since I know this isn't particularly aimed towards transgenders, non-binarys, ect, but I need some guidance.

I'm seventeen, and think that I am transgender. I've talked to counselors online about this, but they never seem to give me any useful suggestions or support on the matter.
I have tried Childline - several times - but feel as though they're trying to advertise their message boards rather than giving me real-world advice.

Inside, I'm pretty certain that I am meant to be the opposite sex, but I'm confused, and don't know where to go from this. My relationship with my family is terrible, and have no actual friends. It seems I'm completely alone.

What now?

I am sorry that you are feeling a bit lost at the moment and unsupported. I personally haven't gone through this myself so don't have any advice from experience but I know that there are support groups out there where you can talk to people who are going through or have gone through the same things.

I hope that someone comes along soon who can help but just wanted to direct you to the LGBT+ thread that we have on TSR if you haven't seen it before. Hopefully someone there can also help you :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2529505
Reply 3
Original post by rachaelftw
You need to go talk to your GP about it. I'm not 100% sure of the process but I'm pretty sure they can then refer you to some counselling, there you can talk about everything and they can assess you and help you figure out/understand why you feel that way, and help you decide if it's something you definitely want to go through with. Once you're assessed and if it's decided you want to carry on with the process I think you can be referred to a Gender Identity clinic where you possible have some talking therapy? (Not sure). And go through it again, then go further if you still want to.

Like I said, I'm not 100% sure on this and there are probably people on here who can give you a more accurate better idea than me as I just know from what I've heard. I hope you get your answers, and get where you want to be in life :biggrin:!

Original post by randdom
I am sorry that you are feeling a bit lost at the moment and unsupported. I personally haven't gone through this myself so don't have any advice from experience but I know that there are support groups out there where you can talk to people who are going through or have gone through the same things.

I hope that someone comes along soon who can help but just wanted to direct you to the LGBT+ thread that we have on TSR if you haven't seen it before. Hopefully someone there can also help you :smile: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2529505

Thanks for the replies, guys. I booked an appointment with my GP this morning and have an appointment in two weeks. It's a long way to go, but I feel a little more positive towards the situation. Thanks, again, and I'll be sure to check out the LGTB+ thread too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending