The Student Room Group

history at bangor starting 2015

hi!! just wondering how many people are doing plain history w/o archaeology or ancient anywhere in the title
also wondering if the start date on the confirmation letter was accurate??? the 1st of september is so much earlier than my friends going to other places start
ALSO please tell me someone else is planning on taking a mini fridge. don't think i could cope with people robbing my milk every morning i'd have to FIGHT THEM until the bitter end
okay this embarrassing first post is over and i'm out see you in september
Reply 1
Hi! I'm currently a first year psychology student at Bangor, however, I am defecting to history next year so will be starting in year 1 again! The course will not start on 1st September, freshers week is W/C 21 September, and lectures will begin W/C 28 September.
If you are planning on staying in the university halls, you are NOT allowed a fridge in your room, unless it is for storing medication - they are pretty strict with this. In my experience, I've never had any problems with people stealing any of my food!
If you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them! See you in September! :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by leehws
Hi! I'm currently a first year psychology student at Bangor, however, I am defecting to history next year so will be starting in year 1 again! The course will not start on 1st September, freshers week is W/C 21 September, and lectures will begin W/C 28 September.
If you are planning on staying in the university halls, you are NOT allowed a fridge in your room, unless it is for storing medication - they are pretty strict with this. In my experience, I've never had any problems with people stealing any of my food!
If you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them! See you in September! :smile:

aaaah thank you, i'm excited now see you then!!
Original post by kateitineris
hi!! just wondering how many people are doing plain history w/o archaeology or ancient anywhere in the title
also wondering if the start date on the confirmation letter was accurate??? the 1st of september is so much earlier than my friends going to other places start
ALSO please tell me someone else is planning on taking a mini fridge. don't think i could cope with people robbing my milk every morning i'd have to FIGHT THEM until the bitter end
okay this embarrassing first post is over and i'm out see you in september

Hey I do History at Bangor!

Start date is usually the last week in September!

Sorry, you won't be allowed a mini-fridge! That's only for those who need one for medication. Don't worry though, no one really steals food that much.
I'll be doing History at Bangor this year too. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me as I really don't know what to expect! Also is there anything I could read in order to prepare?
Reply 5
Original post by emilyr1439
I'll be doing History at Bangor this year too. I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice for me as I really don't know what to expect! Also is there anything I could read in order to prepare?

Hi! Assuming you're already studying History at A Level, there isn't really anything you need to read in advance :smile: In terms of advice, the history department at Bangor University is rather small compared to some of the other departments, so lectures will be more like lessons at school in classrooms as opposed to big lectures in a large lecture theatre, so really shouldn't be that different :smile: Just be prepared to do loads of your own reading/research!
Reply 6
Original post by MatthewCarter97
I am also starting history at Bangor (hopefully) in 2015. Does anyone know how strict they are on the UCAS points??

In my experience, not very :smile: As long as you get a decent History grade, you should be fine :smile:
Reply 7
Oh ok thanks, I will probably get a B/C in history
What points did you get?

I got 280 points from 3 A Levels, however a friend got in with 220 points (to study psychology which is a more competitive course at Bangor), and they are generally quite lenient with their offers. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by emilyr1439

Contact the history school administrator and she will provide you with a list. I did. It's not worth it though, wait until you start the course and pick your modules. When you pick your modules and start them you'll be able to focus your attention when reading. Plus, the library may have 5 copies of the book you have but only 1 copy of the book you don't. I'd seriously recommend just waiting it out. The module titles only give a brief over view. The lecturers themselves will be able to advise more accurately which books may be of benefit.

I am also starting history at Bangor (hopefully) in 2015. Does anyone know how strict they are on the UCAS points??

I went in 2013 and I hear from a few people that they are lenient. I think you'll have to make subject specific requirements though, for example if they ask for a B in history, you get a B in history. Unfortunately, the university will not divulge information on this as it really depends year on year and is at their discretion and your grades. Stalk the Bangor University forum for a more accurate idea!
Reply 9
Hey i will (hopefully) be doing history and archaeology in september, will anyone else be doing two subjects ?
Original post by leehws

I'm in the same boat, except i did zoology then starting history again this year
Original post by Rachmun17
Hey i will (hopefully) be doing history and archaeology in september, will anyone else be doing two subjects ?

Im a third year joint hons with history
Reply 12
Hey :biggrin:I'll be doing Modern History this year, would like to try archaeology as well :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending