The Student Room Group

I need some help with my transition into uk education..

So, I have a few questions if anyone would like to help.
First off, I was wondering how I would get into a uni in England, as a student already enrolled in community college here. I'm in my second year, and I don't think my credits can be transferred over (not sure) since it's an entirely different process, but how would I get into these schools as someone who isn't straight out of high school?
Original post by Andrea.naranjo
First off, I was wondering how I would get into a uni in England, as a student already enrolled in community college here. I'm in my second year, and I don't think my credits can be transferred over (not sure) since it's an entirely different process, but how would I get into these schools as someone who isn't straight out of high school?

You'll need to apply via UCAS, just as you would if you'd just left school.

However, you've missed the deadline for equal consideration for 2015 entry, which means that your choices will be more limited, though depending on what subject you want to do at which uni and how flexible you're willing to be, it's entirely feasible to still get a place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Starting in first year at a UK university would probably be a good idea- especially if English isn't your first language. It's a great way to meet people too, and means you wouldn't have to hit the ground running in terms of producing really good assignments- at most UK universities, first year doesn't count towards your degree classification, or only counts for a nominal amount (say 5%).

However, if you really wanted to enter into second year this might be possible depending on the course and your previous study. To start with, it's a good idea to email unis you're interested in and see if there is any chance they'd accept you into second year or not. Entry into 3rd year is pretty much impossible at all UK universities unless you've done a related foundation degree at a partner college.

If you wanted to apply for first year entry, you'd need to do this via UCAS. You'd need an academic referee- ideally one of your current teachers/lecturers and to write a personal statement (which can be hard for non-uk applicants but there is a lot of good advice on TSR).

I'm assuming you are American? You would have to either take the SAT Reasoning + Subject tests or enquire into whether you can use your GPA from your community college to apply.

Basically, it all depends on the course and the uni you want to go to. University is quite different in the UK, in that, you would have to apply to a specific course rather than to the university as a whole, there usually aren't any electives or general education classes. It is a focused 3-4 years of study into a specific field. So, look into what course you want to do first, then the uni.

As for applying, the other posters are spot on. You'd need to apply via UCAS - it's all central - using your details, a personal statement and a reference. You get 5 choices of courses/universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Princepieman
I'm assuming you are American? You would have to either take the SAT Reasoning + Subject tests or enquire into whether you can use your GPA from your community college to apply.

Basically, it all depends on the course and the uni you want to go to. University is quite different in the UK, in that, you would have to apply to a specific course rather than to the university as a whole, there usually aren't any electives or general education classes. It is a focused 3-4 years of study into a specific field. So, look into what course you want to do first, then the uni.

As for applying, the other posters are spot on. You'd need to apply via UCAS - it's all central - using your details, a personal statement and a reference. You get 5 choices of courses/universities.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I want to be a secondary teacher/Uni lecturer, and I've been looking into courses for things like "Secondary Education (Physics)". However,
I'm confused about different qualifications? What's the difference between courses that have a qual. called Bcs(hons) versus PCGE? Don't you need a PCGE to teach? or would it come with your degree if its like "Secondary Education (Physics)/Bcs" ? I'm sorry if I'm being confusing... I'm just trying to understand... :tongue:
Could you get a Bcs/and/or Masters in your field of study then take a PCGE course after? Or is it better to just take the "Secondary Education" one?

-Andrea
I want to be a secondary teacher/Uni lecturer, and I've been looking into courses for things like "Secondary Education (Physics)". However,
I'm confused about different qualifications? What's the difference between courses that have a qual. called Bcs(hons) versus PCGE? Don't you need a PCGE to teach? or would it come with your degree if its like "Secondary Education (Physics)/Bcs" ? I'm sorry if I'm being confusing... I'm just trying to understand... :tongue:
Could you get a Bcs/and/or Masters in your field of study then take a PCGE course after? Or is it better to just take the "Secondary Education" one?

-Andrea

If you wanted to be uni lecturer in physics, you would need to do an actual degree in physics rather than Secondary Education (Physics). If you're wanting to do a masters degree in physics, then you should do a degree in physics.

PGCE is what you do after your degree to become a teacher. I'm not 100% sure about secondary education degrees and if you become a teacher straight away after doing them.
Original post by rayquaza17
If you wanted to be uni lecturer in physics, you would need to do an actual degree in physics rather than Secondary Education (Physics). If you're wanting to do a masters degree in physics, then you should do a degree in physics.

PGCE is what you do after your degree to become a teacher. I'm not 100% sure about secondary education degrees and if you become a teacher straight away after doing them.

So I should just take a course in physics then do the PGCE course after?

If you were possibly going to do a masters afterwards then yes.

Yes. Best course of action for teaching.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending