The Student Room Group
University of York
York

York or Leeds for History?

Sadly got rejected from Edinburgh yesterday so need to make a decision about where to go next year.

Predicted AAA and have offers from York, Leeds and Sheffield (Also SOAS but meh). Where do I go? I'm pretty interested in both York and Leeds.

I like York because it's got a better reputation than Leeds but it's also so boring and I want somewhere with a good nightlife.

Help?!
As a History student at York from Manchester (on par of better nightlife than Leeds imo), it really doesn't matter. For a start there's a good range of clubs, a bar for every day of the year, and Willow for your end of the night tequila. If you want a bigger night out then you can get the train down to Leeds which takes 30 minutes tops and is dirt cheap. The two are that close that you should really just pick based on the course and worry about nightlife later.
University of York
York
Original post by Bc99
Sadly got rejected from Edinburgh yesterday so need to make a decision about where to go next year.

Predicted AAA and have offers from York, Leeds and Sheffield (Also SOAS but meh). Where do I go? I'm pretty interested in both York and Leeds.

I like York because it's got a better reputation than Leeds but it's also so boring and I want somewhere with a good nightlife.

Help?!

I think the course offers from York and Leeds can allow you to follow different paths in your interests so I'd say use the courses as your guide. After all, you're spending 3 years doing this! :smile:
I agree with both of the above - pick primarily based on the course, but if it's a great course in an environment you can't stand, go with where you think you'll be happiest in the long run. As for the nightlife, I'm at York and there's really nothing to complain about, the clubs and bars are good and varied and Willow is an experience everyone needs to have (don't use the toilets there though). And yeah, Leeds is really close by train, so you can either go on your own time or with your college - I know my college organised at least one night out to Leeds this year.

Quick Reply