The Student Room Group

Am I the only one who does NOT ever want a pet??

I love animals, and I love it when I go to someone's house and if they have a dog or a cat I'll always play with them, they're adorable....However I never ever want a pet of my own. I'm 18 now and I know that in the future when I have my own home I will not be wanting a cat or a dog in the house, simply because:

1) they require commitment and a lot of care, if I had to look after something I'd want to do it properly, which can be a burden.
2) hygiene- i personally get so grossed out when people sleep with their dogs, but this is an extreme example. But people always say "oh my pet is clean" but still, its unnecessary germs, that could be avoided.
3) smell and the dirt that comes with pets, and cleaning that's required.
4) cost of having pets (food, vet visits etc)
5) I am very allergic to pet hair and dust mites. Worst combination.

I understand that some people do not see having pets as a burden, they enjoy it, which is fine, each to their own, whatever makes you happy. But what I don't get is when I tell people that I don't want to have pets, some people act so shocked and sometimes even think I'm a horrible person!!:// Like what is the obsession with having pets?? Am I the only one who doesn't want them??
I just think the negatives outweigh the positives.....

(If you're a giant pet lover please don't sh*tstorm, I'm just giving my personal view)

*I will also mention that I did used to have pets before in my family home, but i wasn't the primary carer, they were my dads. They all slowly died out, and I do not miss having any of them....

***when i say died out, I mean of old age by the way, not because of lack of care!!!:P
(edited 8 years ago)
I disagree, you're wrong.
Reply 2
There's nothing wrong with not wanting pets. As long as you never mistreat any animal in your presence, I don't see any problem and like you said, you love animals so there would be no worry or issue with that. I get the same "omg!" look and questions when I say I don't want kids. I am happy just sticking with pets all my life :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
I have a feeling that you're ridiculing the arguments used by those who don't want kids
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest