The Student Room Group
Ravensbourne University London
London

A Day in the Life of a Design Product Student

6 inspiration points to keep in mind as a Design Products student:

Now the post says it all but it’s just things we like to keep in mind as we do our projects.

Try and get experience in other fields beside your own. Experience plays an important part and it influences the things that you do.

Constantly learn to continue developing yourself.

Be open to who you meet and keep in touch, this will expand your connections and may possibly help you in the near future to secure employment.

Learning from your classmates is essential for group projects.

Don’t be afraid to make mistakes!

Practice sketching and model-making as this will be your way to communicate your design.

What do you think about our points? And which do you like best? Let us know! :h:

Ahlia and Kay :cute:

(edited 9 years ago)
Well if you’re a Product Design student, most of us would not survive without these equipment so if you’re interested these are our top 7 things

A Laptop: Why? Well you got to make and finalise your project somehow right? we use programmes like Solidworks to finalise our models. it’s useful when you can’t model it by hand

A mouse: believe me! when you’re using programmes like solidworks, having a mouse is a tool you’ll need to help you design

Sketch book: design design ! xD let your ideas flow

Vernier caliper scale: (maybe)

Measuring tape: this will be your best friend

Blue foam: Great for prototype modelling

Sand and wet and dry paper.

What else do you think you need?

Hope this helps,

Kay and Ahlia :biggrin:
(edited 9 years ago)
London
6 points to keep you going as a Design Product student:

If you’re feeling discouraged about being on the course, you might wanna look at this :wink:

Follow your curiosity and remember it's worth to take risks

Be patient on your work as in can take a lot of your time and effort

Learning from your classmates is essential for group projects

Develop your skills in adobe software (photoshop, illustrator, indesign, etc)

Be confident and stay positive on what you do.

Use your time well when in prototyping room as most machines are easily taken so be mindful.

What points do you have? What keeps you going? Any suggestions?

Ahlia :h:

(edited 9 years ago)
As a first year Design Product student, I’ve manage to touch on new machineries such as 3D printers, laser cutters and many more which enhanced my skills. Getting the hang of Adobe softwares and Solidworks took time as we had project units that comes one after another.

Last term, one of my projects was to make a 1:1 cash-point model. Our aim is to redesign a cash-point and from our research we’ve encountered many issues that makes the users uncomfortable. One of the issues that we’ve looked on are the safety of the user and from this we’ve manage to improve by adding other features for instance the egg shape cut in the wall and retina/fingerprint scanner to activate accounts.

I’ve recently finished my remote control project and the aim is to redesign Nintendo’s Wii remote. Targeting teens and adults. rather than the traditional joystick to deliver a wider range of force. A track pad is included rather than the traditional joystick to deliver a wider range of force. The material for the Joy pad’s body and Wii remote will be ABS and silicone rubber for the buttons.

Any questions about our course units?

What are your thoughts about my projects?

Thanks for reading,

Ahlia
:biggrin:
Hey I'm a Product design student in second year. In my first year we got given a brief called measuring time. I had to design a product that could measure time in different ways.

I decided to focus around children toys and create something they can play with but also measure and time how long it they have to play. So in short it's like a timer.

How it works:
You winded up the music box at the bottom of the timer (Each full turn is 5 minutes.) and the top of the timer spins down, which takes 5 mins and back up 5 mins. When the timer is done, it stops playing music.

I made this out of origami and thought it would be fun for children to piece it together and possibility re-create it.

This piece was inspired by a turtle swing fair ride.

Hope you were inspired! What did you think of my project?

Check out more of my projects https://nkle.carbonmade.com/

Kay :biggrin:
Hey Guys!

Its Kay again, This is a recent project I've worked on. My brief was to design a waterproof Object.

In this project, I decided to make a waterproof arm cast.
These are my sketches

I Focused on keep the wrist area stable and designed around the problem of finger movements.

This is my cardboard model. I test it to see if it was stable and how much finger movement it has.

This is the final

My final is not complete and it still needs further development but that is the joy of being a product design. You can improve the areas which has problems and solve them regardless.

It's not much but I hoped you enjoyed it :biggrin:

Kay :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending