The Student Room Group

Female interviewing attire...less formal these days?

I've spent a few years working in marketing so I've been away from the legal industry for a while, but since starting my LPC and going for TC interviews/assessment days I've noticed that many of the female interviewees seem to be dressing far less formally than they used to? I've always taken a cautious approach and gone for a black suit, white shirt, dark bag and neat hair but lots of the girls at my last assessment day had a mixture of formal dresses with a blazer or cardigan, coloured tops and black skirts with a blazer or even body con skirts with a blazer or dark cardigan? They all had their hair loose as well (all had long hair). Have law firms become less conservative these days or are they just pushing the boundaries a bit?
Reply 1
I would err on the side of caution for an assessment day and wear a suit. However once you actually start work no one wears them and most women will dress as you describe in your OP.
Yes, I also agree - I would go black suit and white shirt, conservative heels, dark bag, neat jewellery, if any and neat hair, myself. Then figure out the real dress code when (if) you get the job.

There is no advantage that I can see in arriving dressed rather casually at a job IV in a law office!

Original post by MediterraneanX
I've spent a few years working in marketing so I've been away from the legal industry for a while, but since starting my LPC and going for TC interviews/assessment days I've noticed that many of the female interviewees seem to be dressing far less formally than they used to? I've always taken a cautious approach and gone for a black suit, white shirt, dark bag and neat hair but lots of the girls at my last assessment day had a mixture of formal dresses with a blazer or cardigan, coloured tops and black skirts with a blazer or even body con skirts with a blazer or dark cardigan? They all had their hair loose as well (all had long hair). Have law firms become less conservative these days or are they just pushing the boundaries a bit?
Original post by J-SP
I think your approach is the right one. Law firms are getting less conservative, but I've lost count in recent years of interviewers thinking less of their candidates where their dress sense is a little too informal (too tight dresses, scruffy hair, too short dresses, cardigan instead of a blazer, no tie, clearly never ironed, too much make up and the like).

Loose hair is fine, as long as it is tidy. So is colour - nothing wrong with wearing a brightly coloured top with dark skirt/trousers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No tie?! What on Earth were they thinking?
Reply 4
Original post by Le Nombre
No tie?! What on Earth were they thinking?

My summer internship is jeans and tshirt :biggrin:
Reply 5
Original post by samba
My summer internship is jeans and tshirt :biggrin:

Sports Direct shift manager?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

Banking sorta stuff.
I never understood the clothes women wear. It seems as though they wear anything they want to, imo.
Reply 8
Always better to be over-dressed for interviews.
Reply 9
Original post by Abdul-Karim
I never understood the clothes women wear. It seems as though they wear anything they want to, imo.

Well, I don't see the problem with that...?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ElChapo

Posted from TSR Mobile

kek
Reply 11
Original post by MediterraneanX

No not at all, today also black & white combination is going in the law field and I don't think this gonna change in future also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending