The Student Room Group

TargetJobs Undergraduate of the Year Award Assessment Centre (Languages)

Hi everyone. I'm through to the undergraduate of the year awards assessment centre tomorrow. Has anybody been or know anyone who's been to one? I don't want to be told exactly what to say, I just want to have a rough idea what to expect for the oral and group presentations. Specifically the languages one if possible.
Reply 1
Not really relevant to your question, but I think it's so cheap how they call this the "undergraduate of the year award". It's a shoddy piece of marketing for TargetJobs with a completely misleading title.

That said, fair play to you for going for it, there's still prizes to be won I guess!
Reply 2
Original post by M1011
Not really relevant to your question, but I think it's so cheap how they call this the "undergraduate of the year award". It's a shoddy piece of marketing for TargetJobs with a completely misleading title.

That said, fair play to you for going for it, there's still prizes to be won I guess!

Not to disagree or agree with your point but can you elaborate on what you've said? What's wrong about it?
Reply 3
Original post by confusedaldi
Not to disagree or agree with your point but can you elaborate on what you've said? What's wrong about it?

Well it's just a marketing pitch to get their brand out amongst soon-to-be graduates. Who on earth gives TargetJobs of all people the right to name the "best undergraduate of the year"? Particularly given the vast majority of undergraduates have no interest in partaking.

That said, if you can win and get something out of it (placements or something right?), might as well take it. Just don't expect people to actually think you're the best undergraduate of the year based on it!
Original post by M1011
Well it's just a marketing pitch to get their brand out amongst soon-to-be graduates. Who on earth gives TargetJobs of all people the right to name the "best undergraduate of the year"? Particularly given the vast majority of undergraduates have no interest in partaking.

That said, if you can win and get something out of it (placements or something right?), might as well take it. Just don't expect people to actually think you're the best undergraduate of the year based on it!

They ran something called Future CFO of the Year this year with ACCA, nearly made the final, haha. The winner gets a free trip to Shanghai and a Finance Internship with TalkTalk. Just thought you'd be interested :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I've never done an assessment centre before and just went for this because it seemed like a challenge. I literally have no idea what to expect and hearing the sort of things that are asked, I'm starting to have a panic attack. Preparing some sort of a presentation based on documents or something. If it's all business related I'm screwed. I thought seeing the nature of the interviews thus far, that it would be about concepts or making an argument for something like staying in the EU. Anyone got any advice?
Reply 6
Original post by will2348
They ran something called Future CFO of the Year this year with ACCA, nearly made the final, haha. The winner gets a free trip to Shanghai and a Finance Internship with TalkTalk. Just thought you'd be interested :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice prize, worth going for. BUT doesn't change the fact that TargetJobs has absolutely no authority to name a "Future CFO of the Year". It's an empty title.
Original post by M1011
Nice prize, worth going for. BUT doesn't change the fact that TargetJobs has absolutely no authority to name a "Future CFO of the Year". It's an empty title.

Yeah, I agree. But let's face it, who cares if it looks good? Haha :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by confusedaldi
Hi everyone. I'm through to the undergraduate of the year awards assessment centre tomorrow. Has anybody been or know anyone who's been to one? I don't want to be told exactly what to say, I just want to have a rough idea what to expect for the oral and group presentations. Specifically the languages one if possible.

hey! how did ur assessment centre interview go? I have mine tomorrow! lol a year after yours what did they make you do?
Reply 9
Hi, you do exactly what the EU fast stream assessment centre is just in your foreign language. So you can search for practice papers. I can't remember it that well anymore but you will sit for about 30 mins and read a 20 page document in your foreign language and then give a presentation to someone about it and answer question. Then you'll do the same thing and have a 45 minute talk with the other competitors about another set of documents. All of which is done in your foreign language.

I didn't win last year and the girl who did, did it in English which she was basically fluent in because she lived in the UK. So just give it your best shot, have fun and make the most out of the event which you should all be invited to now you've reached this step. I say that just because as I didn't win I'm reluctant to give any advice seeing as it didn't work for me and I wish I'd have made more of the finale event as no job offers came out of this for me. So make the most of the opportunity and get your name out there because if you don't win you can easily just blend in and leave having gained nothing but experience. Good luck!
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending