The Student Room Group

I need motivation...

I have a HUGE issue at the moment, and this issue is motivation. There are two reasons for this - my mock grades and my 'future'.

You're probably thinking just because you got bad mock grades doesn't mean you will get them in the real thing. The thing is that's not the problem. I did really well in my mocks (7A*s, 3As and 1B) and now you're probably really confused why I'm moaning. These results have de-motivated me because I feel like I won't get those grades in the real things and if I don't do as well (get mainly As) I will feel really disappointed - even though they are great grades.

The other issue is my lack of 'vision' for my future. I have no idea what I'm working for and it's really hard to put 100% of effort into this revision when I don't know what my end goal is. If I was like "I want to get into Cambridge to study Medicine" - I would be motivated because I can see where I want to get to. But right now I have no idea and it almost feels like I'm walking in a pitch-black tunnel...

I'm putting in so much effort during the holidays but I'm feeling extremely demotivated to begin the revision and 'install' it into my mind.

So how can I motivate myself? I've got music I like playing each day and have food that is rewarding - but I really need a boost. I watch videos and read posts about people's GCSE results and they help, but I still feel extremely demotivated!

Hopefully you can see where I am coming from?!
Original post by jamestg
I have a HUGE issue at the moment, and this issue is motivation. There are two reasons for this - my mock grades and my 'future'.

You're probably thinking just because you got bad mock grades doesn't mean you will get them in the real thing. The thing is that's not the problem. I did really well in my mocks (7A*s, 3As and 1B) and now you're probably really confused why I'm moaning. These results have de-motivated me because I feel like I won't get those grades in the real things and if I don't do as well (get mainly As) I will feel really disappointed - even though they are great grades.

The other issue is my lack of 'vision' for my future. I have no idea what I'm working for and it's really hard to put 100% of effort into this revision when I don't know what my end goal is. If I was like "I want to get into Cambridge to study Medicine" - I would be motivated because I can see where I want to get to. But right now I have no idea and it almost feels like I'm walking in a pitch-black tunnel...

I'm putting in so much effort during the holidays but I'm feeling extremely demotivated to begin the revision and 'install' it into my mind.

So how can I motivate myself? I've got music I like playing each day and have food that is rewarding - but I really need a boost. I watch videos and read posts about people's GCSE results and they help, but I still feel extremely demotivated!

Hopefully you can see where I am coming from?!

Hi mate :smile:
I know exactly where you're coming from... I regularly have that sort of crisis. I'm doing my A Levels at the moment and aiming for 3A*s (just for my benefit really, my uni wants AAA) and I want it so bad but sometimes I just wake up and think 'and what am I doing all this work for? where is it leading?

That got especially bad in November when I went on a visit to Auschwitz with my school and I got back and just thought for 2 solid weeks: 'What is the point of all this UCAS stuff? Why am i getting so stressed? Why do I care so much, when less than 100 years ago there were people dying for their religion? It really helped me put stuff into perspective..

Anyway BACK TO YOU. What I'd suggest is sit down and think about your life. Have a long hard think. What do you want to achieve? And why do you want it? Are you doing it for you? Your parents? Your school? Your university? Or maybe a career you're seeking? I personally think that the best revision is done when it's done for YOU - some of my mates who have uni offers of like A*A*A or something ridiculous have started to see revision as a chore. They aren't motivated for themselves, they just want to get the grades for the university. But if you realise that you're just doing it for you-- think of how satisfying it'll be on results day when you get like AAAA or some other amazing grades, and you sit back and you think to yourself: 'I did that for ME. No one else forced me to.' and that is what A levels are all about really. Self motivation. You're right, there really is no one forcing you, and that's why so many students with a load of GCSE A*s struggle.

And after you've had your long hard think about life - accompanied by your choice of hot beverage, of course (I'd recommend tea) - make a revision timetable which is ACHIEVABLE. Don't set impossible goals. Start with the stuff you know you can do, to improve your motivation. Set yourself aside time to meet friends, be with family, enjoy a cup of tea, play a video game. Because, after all, you are human, not a machine who can just sit and plough through hours of revision.

The only way you can motivate yourself is to make yourself want something. So - start looking at the grades as the path to your future. Think about UNi. Think about what subjects you're passionate about. And if you can form a clear path in your mind... your motivation should just creep up on you.

Sorry for the long message, hope this helps somewhat :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest