The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Hmmm, really not much: Only found this. Heimunterricht was from my perspective always only an issue for Christian fundamentalists (there was a school in Bavaria I think which quite often hit the headlines in the Spiegel). Sorry.
Reply 2
thanks very much. by saying from your perspective it was only an ussue for christian fundamentalists, do you mean homeschooling IS allowed, just not if it's for religious reasons, as i thought it was banned completely according to the law made in 1938?
Reply 3
hell_o
thanks very much. by saying from your perspective it was only an ussue for christian fundamentalists, do you mean homeschooling IS allowed, just not if it's for religious reasons, as i thought it was banned completely according to the law made in 1938?

As far as I know it's banned, which is basically why those religious fundamentalists made such a fuss some time ago.
Reply 4
hell_o
hi doea anyone know if there's a specific word/phrase for 'homeschooling' ...

homeschooling is generally called 'Nachhilfe'. I am pretty sure it's accurate as I have a german friend who teaches english through Nachhilfe.
Reply 5
what's Du machst auf Demi Moore mean?
Reply 6
cwhit123
homeschooling is generally called 'Nachhilfe'. I am pretty sure it's accurate as I have a german friend who teaches english through Nachhilfe.

No, "Nachhilfe" is the tuition you get when you're afraid/in danger of failing a course.

lorrybeep
what's Du machst auf Demi Moore mean?

Something along the lines of "You're acting like a wannabe Demi Moore."
Reply 7
cwhit123

It is NOT. Nachhilfe means that you take extra private lessons with a private tutor after "regular " schhool. I used to teach a couple of people in one or two subjects. In German you call it Nachhilfe geben.
Reply 8
EDIT: Beaten to it.... hobnob, are you sure that it is banned per se? I mean it is possible to be taught at home (e.g. Tokio Hotel) as long as it is up to the standards in normal schools, which wasn't the case in case of the Christain fundamentalists whose teaching wasn't approved since they didn't cover things like sexual education etc, hence an infringement of the Schulpflicht. There was something in the Spiegel a couple of months ago, I'll try to find out.
Reply 9
hobnob

Something along the lines of "You're acting like a wannabe Demi Moore."

:redface: must be an expression.... danke
Reply 10
Jammertal
EDIT: Beaten to it.... hobnob, are you sure that it is banned per se? I mean it is possible to be taught at home (e.g. Tokio Hotel) as long as it is up to the standards in normal schools, which wasn't the case in case of the Christain fundamentalists whose teaching wasn't approved since they didn't cover things like sexual education etc, hence an infringement of the Schulpflicht. There was something in the Spiegel a couple of months ago, I'll try to find out.

Ah, yes, you're right, there are exceptions in such cases, so it can't be banned outright... You probably still need somebody who is actually a trained teacher and who sticks to the general curriculum in what he teaches his pupil, though (and for those Christian fundamentalists neither was the case, I suppose). And Germany being Germany, I bet you need to fill in forms and get a special permission even then.:biggrin:
Reply 11
Yep, exactly. :biggrin:
Reply 12
because i've been doing my coursework on it, obviously i've researched it quite a lot and there is a total ban on homeschooling in Germany since Hitler banned it in 1938, however it would seem that it only affected Christian fundamentalists, as they are often the people who would prefer to homeschool as they believe state schooling is not very good, eg. sex ed/religion.

what do you reckon would be a better question to base my coursework around..

Is the ban on homeschooling a contradiction of human rights?

OR

Can the ban on homeschooling be justified?

I know they're similar but I can't decide which to pick.

Thanks
Reply 13
I'd say pick the one you happen to disagree with.:biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending