The Student Room Group

How are people finding the graduate life?

I dunno what to think about this.

Spent a year basically living off parents, now have a job that's put me in very good stead for the future but I miss university. Think I really have to start my life now.

Hard to make new friends too after graduation.
(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I haven't graduated yet but some of my friends have, and from them I gather the new friends they make are colleagues at work and people they meet at college (ACA/LPC courses).
Reply 2
Original post by sr90
Work = brilliant

Everything else = ****

Most people from uni made no effort to keep in touch and it's hard to make new friends. I'm pretty much coming home from work and sitting in bed on my laptop for the evening, barely interact with another person outside of the office. Can't help but think is this my life for the next 40 years?

Guess your problem is that you don't live in a major city which really doesn't help.

Think it's hard for people around their 20s to get in social groups. Think that troll had a point. You working with recent grads(i.e. 21-25)? Everybody on my assessment day were 21-24 so I'm with people my age.
Reply 3
Postgraduate studies?

:colone:
Reply 4
Original post by VannR
Postgraduate studies?

:colone:

Can't deal with that(unless it's on the job post grad) :colonhash:

There's a Grad discussion thread but I think this is a better thread wrt how people feel about life after graduation. That's more a helpful guide.
Being a graduate is hard. When people told me that the rest of life was "****", I honestly just thought they were just being dramatic.

For those of you still at university, wondering what it's like... well, it's basically your summer holidays, but forever. There's nobody to tell you when your lecture is, no exam schedule. There's just 'life'. It's up to you. It's akin to jumping into a pool for the first time.
Still on here, still no girlfriend and still have not met a white girl who likes Oriental guys so my job is irrelevant.
Reply 7
Original post by Mr Smurf
Still on here, still no girlfriend and still have not met a white girl who likes Oriental guys so my job is irrelevant.

What's your job mate?

You lift and that? Guarantee you start lifting and improve confidence in speaking to girls you'll get one cos of law of averages.
Original post by sr90
Yeh everyone there is my age pretty much. Even half the managers are mid to late 20s.

I suspect in a few years i'll gravitate back to Manchester or somewhere else. I don't want to live in London :tongue:

Yeah that's cool. Interesting.

Yeah I wouldn't be able to deal living out of a major city like that. I'm an urban guy. Try and see it as a journey, a new part of your life. Surely people older than us have found ways to make this part of their life more enjoyable.

It's kinda feeling like the first day of the rest of my life. Don't want that. Hopefully it doesn't occur like that.
Original post by jam277
What's your job mate?

You lift and that? Guarantee you start lifting and improve confidence in speaking to girls you'll get one cos of law of averages.

Don't want to reveal on here but it's nothing special. Far from a wasteman on benefits though.

I stopped because it made zero difference in attracting girls.
Pretty good, detective stuff going well, managed to pass my stuff and my social life stabilised more than it was during uni or even the past 4-5 months tbh. As for socially when you're at uni you think friends are for life but the majority of my close friends are pre uni. Now that uni has finished can hang with them more since we're not 50 miles apart or studying for exams which is pretty great.

I know what you mean though, uni was pretty carefree- though I was a little disillusioned with it. That and I've never like education much. There's more pressure and seriousness post graduation, it's now time to 'get things done' so to speak. I personally like that though.

I think the not making new friends thing just depends on the type of friends you have, I meet new people fairly often through friends, even today. I can empathise though, life gets a little stale when you're not meeting new people.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by wanderlust.xx
Being a graduate is hard. When people told me that the rest of life was "****", I honestly just thought they were just being dramatic.

For those of you still at university, wondering what it's like... well, it's basically your summer holidays, but forever. There's nobody to tell you when your lecture is, no exam schedule. There's just 'life'. It's up to you. It's akin to jumping into a pool for the first time.

Yeah pretty much this. I think during university people were less conservative and you could interact with people from various backgrounds and have fun with them.

I dunno now. Bored as hell.
Original post by So Instinct
Pretty good, detective stuff going well, managed to pass my stuff and my social life stabilised more than it was during uni or even the past 4-5 months tbh. As for socially when you're at uni you think friends are for life but the majority of my close friends are pre uni. Now that uni has finished can hang with them more since we're not 50 miles apart or studying for exams which is pretty great.

I know what you mean though, uni was pretty carefree- though I was a little disillusioned with it. That and I've never like education much. There's more pressure and seriousness post graduation, it's now time to 'get things done' so to speak. I personally like that though.

I think the not making new friends thing just depends on the type of friends you have, I meet new people fairly often through friends, even today. I can empathise though, life gets a little stale when you're not meeting new people.

I do think I've made new friends with old friends, we been talking more and I'm noticed more by people who didn't talk with me before university. Mixture of new found confidence/need to talk to people and build rapport.

Good the detective stuff is going well though.

I guess friends of friends means you can make new friends that way. May try that.
Original post by Mr Smurf
Don't want to reveal on here but it's nothing special. Far from a wasteman on benefits though.

I stopped because it made zero difference in attracting girls.

Does this make you hella mad?

Spoiler

(edited 9 years ago)
It's alright.

Did some self-employed labouring for a while which was good fun and a new challenge. But now unemployed now and struggling to find anything. Don't really have much hope where I live and I can't afford to relocate.

Socially it is better than university, being with all my old mates again. But again financial situation means that I can't do as much as I would like.
Reply 13
Original post by Swanbow
It's alright.

Did some self-employed labouring for a while which was good fun and a new challenge. But now unemployed now and struggling to find anything. Don't really have much hope where I live and I can't afford to relocate.

Socially it is better than university, being with all my old mates again. But again financial situation means that I can't do as much as I would like.

Yeah the problem is when financially you aren't sound you can't really experience the freedom you'd expect to have as a post graduate.
Original post by jam277
I do think I've made new friends with old friends, we been talking more and I'm noticed more by people who didn't talk with me before university. Mixture of new found confidence/need to talk to people and build rapport.

Good the detective stuff is going well though.

I guess friends of friends means you can make new friends that way. May try that.

Yeah depends on your friends, some guys prefer to keep others to themselves which I find to be pretty weak. We like to invite everyone and mingle, more fun that way- especially when you're meeting girls.

Actually taking a trip with them to Amsterdam in September, then hopefully Bora Bora in winter with Sarah. Live, who needs the Spanish islands. You should try organise some holidays if you can, it's refreshing.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jam277
Yeah the problem is when financially you aren't sound you can't really experience the freedom you'd expect to have as a post graduate.

Exactly. When I was putting the hours in labouring I was quite well off, paid off my overdraft pretty quickly. Could afford to go to a festival, went on nights, did stuff with my mates. But unfortunately the money has run out now, even with careful budgeting, and I'm so limited in what I can do. Living at home, relying on parents, doesn't look or feel good.
Reply 16
Yeah depends on your friends, some guys prefer to keep others to themselves which I find to be pretty weak. We like to invite everyone and mingle, more fun that way- especially when you're meeting girls.

Actually taking a trip with them to Amsterdam in September, then hopefully Bora Bora in winter with Sarah. Live, who needs the Spanish islands. You should try organise some holidays if you can, it's refreshing.

Nice one. I like to do that as well but I do separate some groups of friends from my other group. Not to say I wouldn't invite them but just that I'm different in different groups.

I may be going cyprus in the summer. I can't message you on VM but I'll PM you in the morning.

Original post by Swanbow
Exactly. When I was putting the hours in labouring I was quite well off, paid off my overdraft pretty quickly. Could afford to go to a festival, went on nights, did stuff with my mates. But unfortunately the money has run out now, even with careful budgeting, and I'm so limited in what I can do. Living at home, relying on parents, doesn't look or feel good.

I can't handle relying on my mother, her smug face and **** chatting constantly this past year over me not having a proper job took the piss, being her dog just for a bit of money. Oh well will not have to rely on this for much longer so I can live my life :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Does this make you hella mad?

Spoiler

Do you believe in unicorns now that I have posted a picture?

unicorn-vulnerability.jpg
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 18
It is surprising how quickly some friendships that seemed invaluable at university can fizzle out when people go their separate ways in life. I think of all the people I met through student politics not in touch with a single one these days. The year after graduation wasn’t a great time for me as I felt I wasn’t all that close to my friends from my sixth form days anymore either. Socially it felt like starting over again after a period of being (in my view) pretty popular.

Then there is the transition from study to ‘real life’ where I learnt that my degree which I’d busted a gut for wasn’t worth quite as much as I thought. The struggles of starting a career. It is a time of great change.

That said I was happy to leave the lecture theatre behind. I was a uni drop out so it took me 4 years in total to get my degree rater than 3 . I was pretty jaded by academic life by the end and was more than happy to move on.
Reply 19
Original post by sr90
I'm pretty much coming home from work and sitting in bed on my laptop for the evening, barely interact with another person outside of the office. Can't help but think is this my life for the next 40 years?

I interact with people in the office but because of my workload and commute, I hardly can do that any more : (

Aren't you just tired after a long day of work? : /

Original post by Swanbow

TBH, this is why I keep on working really : (

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending