The Student Room Group

Edinburgh Uni or Leeds Uni? Opinions please :)

I'm stuck between these two, the requirements are the same for both, I really like both but I like different things about them.

The thing that's bothering me a bit is that I feel as though if Leeds was as highly ranked as Edinburgh and had the same reputation, there would be no competition and I'd choose Leeds in a second.

BUT I did really like Edinburgh, and I like the course structure better there than Leeds, Leeds is just my preferred city.

What should I do?
Reply 1
Think about the travelling distance to get back home etc. The reason why I didn't choose any Scottish unis is because I'd be travelling 7+ hours to get back home!
Original post by ceb_96x
Think about the travelling distance to get back home etc. The reason why I didn't choose any Scottish unis is because I'd be travelling 7+ hours to get back home!

They're roughly the same distance :/
Reply 3
Go to the Ivy League school of course....
Reply 4
Original post by katbob
Go to the Ivy League school of course....

Soz wat
Reply 5
Original post by AdamCee
Soz wat

You don't know what an Ivy League school is lol.. We're talking about Princeton, Harvard, Glasgow, Oxford, Cambridge etc Edinburgh is one of them basically because its so old. You get me?
Depends on what you want to study, your interests, and general preferences. Edinburgh and Leeds are both brilliant university cities. Edinburgh has a moderately better academic reputation, but depending upon what you're studying, and what you hope to do in the future, that probably doesn't clutch it. If you would be happier in Leeds, go to Leeds.

Original post by katbob
You don't know what an Ivy League school is lol.. We're talking about Princeton, Harvard, Glasgow, Oxford, Cambridge etc Edinburgh is one of them basically because its so old. You get me?

That's not the Ivy League :tongue:
Reply 7
Original post by Zeno of Citium
Depends on what you want to study, your interests, and general preferences. Edinburgh and Leeds are both brilliant university cities. Edinburgh has a moderately better academic reputation, but depending upon what you're studying, and what you hope to do in the future, that probably doesn't clutch it. If you would be happier in Leeds, go to Leeds.

That's not the Ivy League :tongue:

Yes it is lol... http://www.oxbridgeapplications.com/blog/oxbridge-vs-the-ivy-league-whats-the-difference/

The Ivy League is an American sporting conference among eight universities. It doesn't include any UK universities. Sorry!
Reply 9
The Ivy League is an American sporting conference among eight universities. It doesn't include any UK universities. Sorry!

Yeah but Scotland's basically American so they decided to add three more universities that included Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews (Tabs, 2015. Revised Edition: Ivy League Definition, Oxford Dictionary, Vol 34, Issue 4, pp. 34 - 35)
Original post by katbob
Yeah but Scotland's basically American so they decided to add three more universities that included Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews (Tabs, 2015. Revised Edition: Ivy League Definition, Oxford Dictionary, Vol 34, Issue 4, pp. 34 - 35)

I can't tell if this is a bizarrely directed April Fools?

In any case, you're definitely wrong :s-smilie:
Reply 11
I can't tell if this is a bizarrely directed April Fools?

In any case, you're definitely wrong :s-smilie:

Just let me win?
Leeds; Edinburgh is full of the poshos who couldn't get into Ox/Cam or even Durham.
Think about where you want to spend the next 3 years of your degree. Where do you see yourself fitting in best? While ranking should be a factor it shouldn't be the determining factor. The determining factor should be your happiness
Original post by katbob

Assuming this is April Fools.
Original post by BaudelaireLucky
I'm stuck between these two, the requirements are the same for both, I really like both but I like different things about them.

The thing that's bothering me a bit is that I feel as though if Leeds was as highly ranked as Edinburgh and had the same reputation, there would be no competition and I'd choose Leeds in a second.

BUT I did really like Edinburgh, and I like the course structure better there than Leeds, Leeds is just my preferred city.

What should I do?

I know the requirements are similar for both, but it's not clear from your post whether you actually had offers from both? If not, just apply and they might make the choice for you.

Edinburgh has a better reputation but Leeds is not that far behind so I guess you should do what feels right to you - it sounds like you really want to go to Leeds anyway. Personally, I would choose the quality of the course over the city without a doubt, particularly as they are both quite interesting cities.
Original post by katbob
Just let me win?

Haha, it didn't take long before this argument disintegrated into desperation. Ivy League has nothing to do with UK universities, ffs, lol
(edited 9 years ago)
So...

If this is a serious thread, let's get it back on the rails! :wink:

OP - I'd really love to find out what subject you're applying for so that I can move this over to the correct course forum. Comparison threads in this forum are for asking about different uni life experiences.

Ultimately, nobody can make your choice for you and nobody here will have an undergrad experience of both. :smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
So...

If this is a serious thread, let's get it back on the rails! :wink:

OP - I'd really love to find out what subject you're applying for so that I can move this over to the correct course forum. Comparison threads in this forum are for asking about different uni life experiences.

Ultimately, nobody can make your choice for you and nobody here will have an undergrad experience of both. :smile:

I have an offer for English :smile:
I have the exact same problem as you...its so hard to choose!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending