The Student Room Group

Queen mary or city (computer science)

So which one and why ?
CompSci people will be better placed to argue for each place - so this thread is on a train journey over there. :h:

I must tell you that the decision is better from research and going to the institution. Speak to their students and sit in on lectures - nobody on TSR has got undergrad experiences of both institutions! :smile:
I had an offer from both. I chose to QMUL. From open days at QMUL I enjoyed the atmosphere. Plus it is in a good location for me.
The departments have some similarities (e.g. they are both in a School of Engineering...), but there are marked differences in the emphasis of each course. The feeling of the two locations is also somewhat chalk and cheese too...

Queen Mary is in Mile End right on a main road, and the campus tends to feel pretty busy. CS itself is in a fairly modern annexe, and has good strengths on theoretical computer science (i.e. a more Mathematical end of CS), cognitivie science (a more mathematical take on the way people think), networks and, finally, multimedia and music in different guises.

City, on the other hand, is mostly away from thoroughfares, and the main site is near a lot of restaurants and cafes (rather more upscale than Mile End); the CS department has strong suites in Machine Learning, Software Engineering (so more the engineering side of CS), human-computer interaction (a cross between psychology and CS), and various aspects of business computing.

I lecture in HCI at City, but I have close connections with QMUL, particularly with Paul Curzon and the Cog Sci group there. Other than different styles, there isn't such a clear gap - QMUL are ahead of us on 'pure' research (being more mathematical), but we've much stronger links with industrial research, and again that's a chalk-and-cheese take on things. Depending on what sort of CS role you want to take, one or other should be a good fit: us for business and software engineering; Queen Mary for maths and networks.

I hope that helps...

George

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending