The Student Room Group

Bad GCSEs but really good A levels?!

I did really badly at my GCSE (predominantly due to lack of work).
English lit - B
Maths (iGCSE) - B
English lang - A
RS -A*
Chemistry - A
Psychology - C
Geography - A
Physics - B
Core science - A
Biology - B
However I have 4 A*s at A2 (Drama, English Lit, Philosophy and Chemistry) . Would my GCSEs rule out a lot of top unis e.g. Oxbridge and the Ivies?
(I also have a A in the EPQ, and other extra activities)
Thanks x
Reply 1
Oxford base on GCSEs, Cambridge on AS/A2s if you've already taken them (as you have)
Ivies are a completely different Ilk where SAT/ACT performance as well as essays will play a far larger role in deciding your outcome- it would also be notable that your GPA (average of all grades accumulated including GCSE and AS/2) would be much lower than the normal American applicant. Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Dartmouth MIT and Stanford (not Ivies but still amazing colleges) are the only ones who provide financial aid fully for international students

Best of luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I did no work for GCSEs apart from night before stuff. Got 2 A*s, 3 As and 4 Bs and then was predicted 3 As at A level with a great reference and outstanding extracurriculars (sport). I know you can't just suddenly do a Harry Kane, but try and find something special to do other than the DoE stuff. Got an offer from Durham... didn't apply to Oxbridge, but my school wanted me to as they'd thought I'd interview well. Ended up doing even less work for my A levels and playing just as much sport.

It will probably be a disadvantage compared to the straight A/A* students, but if you have a great application elsewhere and a great interview, along with 4A*s at A level then you'll still have a solid chance worth pursuing. After all, I know straight A students who would have done better than those who got in, but didn't due to bad luck. They usually ended up at places like at other top 10 unis.

Just apply and hope for the best. It's not the end of the world. if you go to one slightly lesser down, you'll still have great credentials and a better time as a student, which is very important (think social life and skills learnt that will help you as you go on). Plus you can get a first.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by -maddy-
I did really badly at my GCSE (predominantly due to lack of work).
English lit - B
Maths (iGCSE) - B
English lang - A
RS -A*
Chemistry - A
Psychology - C
Geography - A
Physics - B
Core science - A
Biology - B
However I have 4 A*s at A2 (Drama, English Lit, Philosophy and Chemistry) . Would my GCSEs rule out a lot of top unis e.g. Oxbridge and the Ivies?
(I also have a A in the EPQ, and other extra activities)
Thanks x

Just remember it's not all about the grades... I'd say the GCSE grades you have are still pretty solid even though they aren't what you think of as the 'standard Oxbridge candidate'. I can't say for Ivies as I can only speak on experience ...

Cambridge take the specific module marks into consideration whilst Oxford don't care too much and base theirs more on the interview and the apt test (if applicable for your subject) so I guess that's a good thing to bear in mind.... though I'd say look at the courses they offer, and base it on that more.

Anyhow, at the end of the day if you don't apply because you "think you're not good enough" then you'll never get in. What's the worse that can happen? A rejection letter? But if you apply, you might get an acceptance letter too!! It's a definite 'no' if you don't apply :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest