The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Despite being medic at kings, queen mary may look like a rubbish dump, however, the BL campuses, are refurbished, and especially the new builidng in whitechapel looks liek its from the futures, with the sliding doors and funky shaped labs...realy cool. and the teaching method is great and more vocational and applied, on the other hand, UCL has a great assesment in my prospective, however they do concentrate 3 years on pure pre-clinical sciences, which you may not want, and they have a compulsary interaclated BSc, to summerises really academically focused. And the capus it self its in a better loaction, and has a greater hertage then BL, however from the inside, its fully hitech

IF you looking for a good mixture of academic brilliance, with clinical excellence, then kings is the place for you, loaction wise its not that posh, however its not that trashy either, GKT we have hardcore pre clinical science with an optional intercalation (when ever during the five year prgramme), then 3 years hardcore clinical skills in Londons to major hospital, Guy's and St thomas's. also, just wanted to add, BL works with London hospital, the only hospital that has a helicopter, and the hospital itself, yuo will gain alto of clinical know how as it is in east london, where you'll come accross everything, similarly in GKT were in south, which also has alot.

rest is upto u to decide. but open days, are the best, its gives you ideas regarding travel, if you see yourself studying there etc...
Reply 21
^^ BL has more heritage than UCL! Barts is the oldest med sch in england!

we have all our lectures in a nice new lecture theatre, get early patient contact- GP placements from the first term. There's science, but it's generally pretty relevant. BL have their own union + events, as does QMUL = twice the fun :biggrin: *runs from fluffy*

BL has the advantage of being pretty damn close to central but it's slightly cheaper round here.

lalalaaaa but you can't go round calling us QMUL ^o)
Reply 22
^^^The London was the oldest med school in England and Wales. Barts is the Oldest hospital in the UK, having been on the same site since 1123! There is some talk that it is the oldest hospital in Europe...

Barts is also as 'central' as things get. Believe it or not, 'central' is not 'west' and Barts is not in the 'East End' :wink:

I refer to the words of the great Adam and Suman...
The student office are dicks, and they send you to zone 6,
For communication skills and PBL
The prospectus was all lies, you've forgotten to revise,
But at least you didn't go to UCL...

They went to Gimpers, so they must be right :wink:
angry barts students,

i agree you are the oldest, but many things have changed since, whereas principles of teaching at other schools, have stuck throughout the years.
barts have an amazingly cool helicopter pad thing on the roof 2
anyway i know that they start intervioewing in jan bt ds any1 no if theyve started giving out intervoews 4 jan?
n btw r any of u barts medics on the interview/selection panel :smile:?
Reply 25
The London has the helipad and HEMS, not Barts :wink:

The student body will find out on Wednesday when interviews start.

Yes, hopefully.
k, kl let us no wen u guys no
or if u cant put it up on a public place like TSR plz PM me!
Reply 27
No problem.

What I can say without giving too much away, is that:
Out of all BL applicants, 50% will be interviewed and 50% rejected without interview
Of all those interviewed, 50% will be made an offer and 50% will be rejected.

Good luck guys...
S_1988
Anyone studying Medicine in QMUL? what is it like? is it as good as KCL and UCL?

Just wondering, why havnt u mentioned imperial?
Reply 29
What makes the BL students even more pompous is the fact they joined the Barts knowing that it was part of QMUL. It was QMUL who proposed the new buildings, and it is QMUL you are merged with, and every BL student knows this prior to having joined, unless of course, they're stupid.

So claiming their own identity is laughable. I understand pre-1995, but now is nothing short of snobbery. So chill out medics, and stop the pretentious attitudes, whom all seemingly have in abundance.
Reply 30
walshie
What makes the BL students even more pompous is the fact they joined the Barts knowing that it was part of QMUL. It was QMUL who proposed the new buildings, and it is QMUL you are merged with, and every BL student knows this prior to having joined, unless of course, they're stupid.

So claiming their own identity is laughable. I understand pre-1995, but now is nothing short of snobbery. So chill out medics, and stop the pretentious attitudes, whom all seemingly have in abundance.

Hell no! I am a medic, I have worked hard to get here, and get QMers judging me because of it...

The new buildings were proposed long before the merger, and yes, Adrian Smith is an OK principle, but it is Nick Wright who fights for our autonomy. I guess Adrian Smith goes along with it as the research portfolio of BL bankroles A LOT of other QM stuff (as do the alumni assoc), otherwise I'm sure we would have been debranded and fecked over in much the same way as Westfield...

I joined BL inspite of QM, not because of it... As I've saif before, when it comes to a subject as highly regualted as medicine it is a sad arse who puts the parental institution above the actual medical school...
Reply 31
although the royal free has **** all compared to that.
Reply 32
j00ni
That is true of most med schools though
I disagree.

With the notable exception of georges, and the partial exception of the other london schools, most don't (the honourable exception being sports).

Can you name more than one or two medical schools outside of london that have their own bar? Their own Sab? Their own welfare apparatus? Their own RAG? Even within London GKT barely have the bars remaining (sadly minus Tommies) - they lost their Sab, they lost their RAG and, in my understanding, they're losing control of the bars too. In comparrison, BL has two bars on two different sites, two medical libraries, a sabatical, the most successful RAG per head in the country, and a large redevelopment plan that should be providing the medical school student body with more sports and leisure facilities than they've had since QMUL had the old gym & squash courts knocked down and sold off our playing fields & anchor cottage.
Reply 33
Who said anything about the royal free?
Reply 34
me hehe

put ya specs on macca. i may be smal, but i aint that smal.
Reply 35
On a more important note...

Are you a guy or a girl Renal?

I'm genuinely not sure... You could be a typical cynical male medic or a fiesty female... It's so hard to tell...
Reply 36
i'm not renal macca.

put ya specs on, i say.
Reply 37
such a spammer
Reply 38
...ah but...betta a spammer than an abject spanner...?

or perhaps i also could ask you somefing 'ighly relevant to the topic, like.... are you a gurl or a guy, Renal-macca?

its so ard to tell....urrr....
Reply 39
Revenged
On a more important note...

Are you a guy or a girl Renal?

I'm genuinely not sure... You could be a typical cynical male medic or a fiesty female... It's so hard to tell...
renal is male, hardly a "typical" med student though!!

Latest

Trending

Trending