The Student Room Group

OCR Psychology G543

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Claros
2014psyc.png

I've attached all the options for the 2014 G453 paper, I'll try and get the ones for research methods too.

thank you so much!
Original post by lilygreen1
thank you so much!

Here's section B of G544, in section A the design was an independent measures experiment that collects data which measures observable behaviour.

june2014.png
Original post by Claros
Here's section B of G544, in section A the design was an independent measures experiment that collects data which measures observable behaviour.

june2014.png

Hey, do you have any predictions for this section of G544 it would be really useful!
Thanks
Oh okay, thanks! would you also talk about the dam/icd - how disorders are diagnosed. The fact that the symptoms may be consistent , but not valid?
Original post by totoro1997
Hi, i've got some resources that my be useful. If I find any more then I will upload it as soon as possible

Hey, these have been so useful!. I was wondering do you have anything on answering section b question, but more specifically about reliability or determinism?

Thank you!!
b)Evaluate difficulties when identifying characteristics ofpsychological disorders.

For this type of question would I only give difficulties of identifying characteristics (issues such as validity etc) or would I talk about strengths also to give a more balanced argument?
for example talk about validity issues - but then say however it identifying characteristics are valid in this sense.....
Guyss can anyone helpp pleaseeee!!!! i dont know how to answer this section b question- Discuss whether individuals have free will when turning to crime?
Original post by Ashdaw21
Guyss can anyone helpp pleaseeee!!!! i dont know how to answer this section b question- Discuss whether individuals have free will when turning to crime?

That sounds pretty vague considering 'turning to crime' includes upbringing, cognition and biology. If you can include studies from all three areas, the sort of points I would make are:

One factor that suggests that people do not have free will when turning to crime is their biology, more specifically the structure of their brain. For example, the study by Raine showed that those found guilty of murder/manslaughter had reduced glucose metabolism in their pre-frontal cortex and abnormalities in the amygdala which accounts for their lack of self control and aggressive behaviour. As this was caused by the structure of their brain, which is out of their control, this is suggests that it is more determined (not free will).

However, a factor that does suggest people can have free will when turning to crime concerns other people's perceptions of them. The study by Jahoda established that boys born on a Wednesday (Kwaku) were considered to be violent and aggressive in the Ashanti tribe, and could become more aggressive due to the self-fulfilling prophecy. However, over a 5 year period only 22% of violent crimes were committed by Wednesdays boys, indicating that they had the choice to defy people's preconceptions of them, indicating more freewill is involved.

Another factor which indicates that turning to crime may be both free will and determined concerns the environment that someone grew up in. For example, the study by Wikstrom established that people's exposure to criminogenic environments with low social cohesion and low informal social control influences their morality and self-control, which influences if they turn to crime. While someone cannot help the area they live in, and in this sense it could be determined, they can make efforts to stay away from these criminogenic elements as much as possible by joining clubs at school, for example.

These are the sorts of things I would put.
Original post by Claros
That sounds pretty vague considering 'turning to crime' includes upbringing, cognition and biology. If you can include studies from all three areas, the sort of points I would make are:

One factor that suggests that people do not have free will when turning to crime is their biology, more specifically the structure of their brain. For example, the study by Raine showed that those found guilty of murder/manslaughter had reduced glucose metabolism in their pre-frontal cortex and abnormalities in the amygdala which accounts for their lack of self control and aggressive behaviour. As this was caused by the structure of their brain, which is out of their control, this is suggests that it is more determined (not free will).

However, a factor that does suggest people can have free will when turning to crime concerns other people's perceptions of them. The study by Jahoda established that boys born on a Wednesday (Kwaku) were considered to be violent and aggressive in the Ashanti tribe, and could become more aggressive due to the self-fulfilling prophecy. However, over a 5 year period only 22% of violent crimes were committed by Wednesdays boys, indicating that they had the choice to defy people's preconceptions of them, indicating more freewill is involved.

Another factor which indicates that turning to crime may be both free will and determined concerns the environment that someone grew up in. For example, the study by Wikstrom established that people's exposure to criminogenic environments with low social cohesion and low informal social control influences their morality and self-control, which influences if they turn to crime. While someone cannot help the area they live in, and in this sense it could be determined, they can make efforts to stay away from these criminogenic elements as much as possible by joining clubs at school, for example.

Would i get marks if i put something like this or is this completely irrelevant?

In psychological studies, the term free will refers to one's own choice and there are studies which enable free will to be part of findings in turning to crime.

A strength of psychological studies of turning to crime is that the studies use longitudinal methods. In Farrington et al study, he conducted a prospective longitudinal study of 411 boys ages between 8 and 9 during a specific time period. This is seen as a strength because it enables psychologist to see the effects of free will over a longer period of time and examine changes in behaviour and enables whether the boys in Farrington study turned to crime on their own accord (free will) or was it determined through their upbringing.
Would i get marks if i put something like this or is this completely irrelevant?

In psychological studies, the term free will refers to one's own choice and there are studies which enable free will to be part of findings in turning to crime.

A strength of psychological studies of turning to crime is that the studies use longitudinal methods. In Farrington et al study, he conducted a prospective longitudinal study of 411 boys ages between 8 and 9 during a specific time period. This is seen as a strength because it enables psychologist to see the effects of free will over a longer period of time and examine changes in behaviour and enables whether the boys in Farrington study turned to crime on their own accord (free will) or was it determined through their upbringing.

The fact that you are wanting to define the term free will is good, though I'd expand on it a little by saying that free will suggests that our behaviour is result of our own choice and volition.

For the question you gave me it doesn't seem as if it's asking you to evaluate strengths and weaknesses of studies/theories that can be considered free will/determinism, but rather to what extent they can support the free will side of this debate. I wouldn't consider talking about the research methods to be completely relevant to this.
Original post by Claros
The fact that you are wanting to define the term free will is good, though I'd expand on it a little by saying that free will suggests that our behaviour is result of our own choice and volition.

For the question you gave me it doesn't seem as if it's asking you to evaluate strengths and weaknesses of studies/theories that can be considered free will/determinism, but rather to what extent they can support the free will side of this debate. I wouldn't consider talking about the research methods to be completely relevant to this.

Oh right. But if the question was asking to evaluate free will, then my answer would be in the correct format?
Reply 52
Oh right. But if the question was asking to evaluate free will, then my answer would be in the correct format?

'Discuss' means the same thing as evaluate. So if you gave an answer like the example you have, you're not going to get full marks.. You need to argue both sides of the argument.
You need to give strengths/weaknesses of the debate & use the studies as your evidence, then expand the point a little bit more

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not entirely sure that you would be asked such a question in this paper, perhaps in the section B of the G544 paper you might be asked to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the freewill explanation of behaviour using psychological research to back up your answer. You could probably use that study to back up this point, but you didn't really explain how the study supported free will, so you'd need a specific example from the study that indicates that it supports free will explanations.
Original post by Cpie21
'Discuss' means the same thing as evaluate. So if you gave an answer like the example you have, you're not going to get full marks.. You need to argue both sides of the argument.
You need to give strengths/weaknesses of the debate & use the studies as your evidence, then expand the point a little bit more

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, i wrote about a weakness too, but i don't know how i could expand on my strength?

this would have been my weakness,

Nonetheless, a psychological study of turning to crime is that it suggests free will. In Gudjohnnson and Bowns study, on external attribution the findings showed that criminals who had committed sexual acts showed less external attribution than property or theft acting criminals. This allowed psychologists to find out that free will wasn't a reason for why these sexual acting criminals had committed a crime and shows to be more on determinism i.e.. due to circumstances at the time than due to one's own choice.
Original post by Claros

Thanks! I completely forgot how to answer Section B questions.. Have you guys like looked at predictions or anything like that? I know its a bit risky to do it, but however.. Johansson and Juby and farrington came up on last year's paper am I right? So They aren't likely to come up this year?
Yeah, i wrote about a weakness too, but i don't know how i could expand on my strength?

this would have been my weakness,

Nonetheless, a psychological study of turning to crime is that it suggests free will. In Gudjohnnson and Bowns study, on external attribution the findings showed that criminals who had committed sexual acts showed less external attribution than property or theft acting criminals. This allowed psychologists to find out that free will wasn't a reason for why these sexual acting criminals had committed a crime and shows to be more on determinism i.e.. due to circumstances at the time than due to one's own choice.

I'm not really understanding the first sentence, and when saying that a study supports a certain side of the argument explain more. I haven't actually done this study, but to me having less external attribution indicates more on the side of free will because they are attributing it more to themselves and not the situation they were in?
Original post by AyeshaAK
Thanks! I completely forgot how to answer Section B questions.. Have you guys like looked at predictions or anything like that? I know its a bit risky to do it, but however.. Johansson and Juby and farrington came up on last year's paper am I right? So They aren't likely to come up this year?

Yes Johansson did appear last year (outline how work can be a cause of stress) however I'm not familiar with Juby and Farrington, but you can see earlier on in the thread that I posted all of last year's questions.

My teacher gave me a list of topics that he thinks are likely to appear due to them either not appearing at all before or appearing a long time ago.

Health and Clinical:
Causes of stress- Lack of Control (Geer and Maisel)
Methods of measuring stress- the combined approach (so Johansson could appear again this year, but in a slightly different question)
Behavioural techniques for managing stress- systematic desensitisation (Wolpe/McGrath)
Explanations of dysfunctional behaviour- behaviourist (Watson and Rayner) and cognitive (Dinardo)
Treatments of dysfunctional behaviour- cognitive (Rational Emotive Therapy by Ellis)

Forensic:
Biological explanations for turning to crime- Gender (Dabbs)
Interviewing suspects- False confessions (Kassin and Wrightsman)
Creating a profile- Bottom-up approach (Canter)
Evidence being ruled inadmissible (Broeder)
Minority influence (Nemeth and Wachtler)

Hope this is helpful
Is it possible to predict which topic/studies needed for this exam?
Wasn't false confessions Gudjohnsson's study about the 17 year old boy named FC?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending