The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

What is Lancaster like for mature students?

Are there many studying on undergraduate degrees?

I found this page http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sbs/mature/
However, I looked on the LUSU website and there doesn't appear to be a society for mature students any longer. Lancaster is also the only uni open day I attended this past summer that didn't offer any kind of talk specifically for mature students.

I'm in my mid 20s, currently live in a large city, and feel a little concerned that I'd be surrounded by 18-21-year-olds on campus and wouldn't be able to meet many people around my age in such a tiny town.

I feel torn because my Lancaster offer is for a combined honours degree that appeals to me a lot more than the single honours offers I have at larger city unis.
Reply 1
Original post by kathykathykathy
Are there many studying on undergraduate degrees?

I found this page http://www.lancaster.ac.uk/sbs/mature/
However, I looked on the LUSU website and there doesn't appear to be a society for mature students any longer. Lancaster is also the only uni open day I attended this past summer that didn't offer any kind of talk specifically for mature students.

I'm in my mid 20s, currently live in a large city, and feel a little concerned that I'd be surrounded by 18-21-year-olds on campus and wouldn't be able to meet many people around my age in such a tiny town.

I feel torn because my Lancaster offer is for a combined honours degree that appeals to me a lot more than the single honours offers I have at larger city unis.

Hi, I'm a mature student that has firmed Lancaster this year for 2015 undergraduate study.

I don't think being 'mid 20s' is such a big deal as about 10% of every years intake at Lancaster are mature students, aged 21+ according to unistats. Additionally, you'll find that there are "mature student societies" at most universities which would be useful to make older friend groups. However, if you're within the student accommodation I don't think you'll have trouble interacting with the 18 - 21 year-olds as they probably won't care how old everyone is for starters :wink:.

If you feel the course is right for you and you've liked the look of the campus and facilities, I don't think the age of other students should affect your decision. :smile:
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Jmce
Hi, I'm a mature student that has firmed Lancaster this year for 2015 undergraduate study.

I don't think being 'mid 20s' is such a big deal as about 10% of every years intake at Lancaster are mature students, aged 21+ according to unistats. Additionally, you'll find that there are "mature student societies" at most universities which would be useful to make older friend groups. However, if you're within the student accommodation I don't think you'll have trouble interacting with the 18 - 21 year-olds as they probably won't care how old everyone is for starters :wink:.

If you feel the course is right for you and you've liked the look of the campus and facilities, I don't think the age of other students should affect your decision. :smile:
Hey, I couldn't find anything about a society for mature students when I looked through all of the societies on LUSU (Lancaster University Students' Union). The link in my first post shows that they had one in the past and it's seemingly no longer in existence for whatever reason. I wasn't sure if the data on the percentage of mature students on sites like UCAS included postgraduate students as well.

What subject have you firmed, Jmce? :smile:

While I know I should probably focus much more on the course than the location and student life, I do really want the whole "uni experience" and am also very used to living in a big, lively city. My other offers also seem to be from unis that are more targeted for graduate employment etc.
Reply 3
Hey, I couldn't find anything about a society for mature students when I looked through all of the societies on LUSU (Lancaster University Students' Union). The link in my first post shows that they had one in the past and it's seemingly no longer in existence for whatever reason. I wasn't sure if the data on the percentage of mature students on sites like UCAS included postgraduate students as well.

What subject have you firmed, Jmce? :smile:

While I know I should probably focus much more on the course than the location and student life, I do really want the whole "uni experience" and am also very used to living in a big, lively city. My other offers also seem to be from unis that are more targeted for graduate employment etc.

Hmm, I'm not too sure whether or not there is one which is still active or not :frown:.

I've firmed Computer Science, what have you applied for? :smile:

Yeah of course, I think everyone attending does want the full experience, but will that not include integrating with the younger students as well? I mean I don't think attending and secluding yourself from a certain age group is going to full-fill the experience to it's fullest anyway. Additionally, the university itself is a campus university rather than the city universities so you get a community feel whilst being able to visit the town for nights out etc. So you'll probably integrate more with people within your accommodation/course very frequently anyway, rather than just an older age group of people.
Original post by Jmce
Hmm, I'm not too sure whether or not there is one which is still active or not :frown:.

I've firmed Computer Science, what have you applied for? :smile:

Yeah of course, I think everyone attending does want the full experience, but will that not include integrating with the younger students as well? I mean I don't think attending and secluding yourself from a certain age group is going to full-fill the experience to it's fullest anyway. Additionally, the university itself is a campus university rather than the city universities so you get a community feel whilst being able to visit the town for nights out etc. So you'll probably integrate more with people within your accommodation/course very frequently anyway, rather than just an older age group of people.
My offer is for Psychology and Linguistics. :smile:

It's more so that I don't want all of my future friends and the people around me to be 5+ years younger than I am. I have friends aged from 20 all the way to the mid 40s on my Access course and like knowing a mix of people like that.

Edit: I obviously know that the vast majority of people I get to know at any uni will generally be 18 or so. However, my fear is that I'd find it a bit isolating if they were the only people I knew if the uni doesn't seem to attract many mature students.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
My offer is for Psychology and Linguistics. :smile:

It's more so that I don't want all of my future friends and the people around me to be 5+ years younger than I am. I have friends aged from 20 all the way to the mid 40s on my Access course and like knowing a mix of people like that.

Edit: I obviously know that the vast majority of people I get to know at any uni will generally be 18 or so. However, my fear is that I'd find it a bit isolating if they were the only people I knew if the uni doesn't seem to attract many mature students.

Ah I see, it's a similar atmosphere on my Access course to be honest as we're all 21 - 29. I never really thought of it like that, your best bet is probably try to find a current mature student either on here or on a social media site to try ask them about their experience?

But with a figure of 10% mature students you will be bound to meet people in an older age range I would assume.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending