The Student Room Group

Is there actually any point trying to get great GCSE results?

Just feels like they barely matter. I have high target grades, but it just feels pointless trying, because I keep being told that all we need are grades good enough to get onto the courses we want for a-level.

My friends think that there's no point revising so early, even though our exams are in 5 weeks, and I don't know if any of them care...

How much do you guys think GCSE grades effect your quality of life in the future? Because right now I just feel like some kind of 'saddo' for putting so much effort in. Am I wasting my time?

Scroll to see replies

Looool.
They matter. Carry on.
Reply 2
Original post by seizetoday
Looool.
They matter. Carry on.

Yeah, but how much? Looool.
I'd much rather put the effort in and get good grades then think: 'I could have done better if I tried.'
Original post by Abeh
Yeah, but how much? Looool.

By a lot. Could impact your University choices which then could have an effect on your job/career. Also, could affect your mental health e.g. not getting as many A*s as your friend etc
If you get good grades it'll give you confidence and you'll know you can do well, which is good in preparation for A levels :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by turn-to-page394
I'd much rather put the effort in and get good grades then think: 'I could have done better if I tried.'

I suppose. I know I'll get good enough grades, I just wonder how important it really is that we get that A grade rather than a B, or an A* grade over a A...
Reply 7
YES they matter, keep studying :smile: I was definitely revising hard by this point when I was doing GCSEs and it paid off. You will have to put those grades on your job applications, and also some unis will look at GCSE grades and you don't want to rule out applying to the top unis because your GCSEs weren't good enough.
if you want to go to a good university, I'd say definitely. A*s and As look better then Cs and Bs. Although, obviously your A levels are much more important but it's best to be on the safe side.
Not very.

Depends though, on how well you can do without doing much work.

If you can get A*s and As no point working for straight A*s imo
Original post by Abeh
Just feels like they barely matter. I have high target grades, but it just feels pointless trying, because I keep being told that all we need are grades good enough to get onto the courses we want for a-level.

My friends think that there's no point revising so early, even though our exams are in 5 weeks, and I don't know if any of them care...

How much do you guys think GCSE grades effect your quality of life in the future? Because right now I just feel like some kind of 'saddo' for putting so much effort in. Am I wasting my time?

A year ago? Not that much tbh.

Now? Tons.
Because of the A level reform, it means uni's will be largely basing applications off of GCSE grades and A level predictions (which I believe come from GCSEs anyway)
Reply 11
Original post by seizetoday
By a lot. Could impact your University choices which then could have an effect on your job/career. Also, could affect your mental health e.g. not getting as many A*s as your friend etc

Yeah, I see what you're saying. Still can't find a point to putting hours and hours of work into, for example, me getting an A in Eng lit to an A*... I suppose it's all about personal targets and expectations.
Original post by Abeh

Try your very best to get as good grades as you can because GCSEs do matter! Most courses at uni will require certain GCSEs to be a certain grade or better or else they won't consider you! Your best bet is to work as hard as you can so you can keep your options open. You may decide in a few years time that you want to apply to a uni that focuses heavily on GCSEs so you don't want to limit your chances!

Don't have any regrets! :smile:
Original post by Abeh
I suppose. I know I'll get good enough grades, I just wonder how important it really is that we get that A grade rather than a B, or an A* grade over a A...

I guess you could say that but say if I had got an A in maths instead of an A*, I'd feel guilty and annoyed at myself you know? Because I know I'm capable of getting the A* and it would undermine my confidence if I hadn't.

I'd much rather work ridiculously hard and get an A and feel happy that I got what I deserved than laze around and get the same grade and wonder: 'if only I had revised!'
Reply 14
Original post by Serena898
YES they matter, keep studying :smile: I was definitely revising hard by this point when I was doing GCSEs and it paid off. You will have to put those grades on your job applications, and also some unis will look at GCSE grades and you don't want to rule out applying to the top unis because your GCSEs weren't good enough.

Thanks, I hope I get satisfaction of some kind from achieving good results. I'll try to aim for the best I can do:P
Reply 15
I guess you could say that but say if I had got an A in maths instead of an A*, I'd feel guilty and annoyed at myself you know? Because I know I'm capable of getting the A* and it would undermine my confidence if I hadn't.

I'd much rather work ridiculously hard and get an A and feel happy that I got what I deserved than laze around and get the same grade and wonder: 'if only I had revised!'

Yeah I know what you mean there, but I actually like maths, so I want to do well in it. It's more of a struggle when it's English or R.E and I cant help but think 'Why the hell am I even bothering?'. Thanks for the answer!

That feeling didn't linger for a bit :tongue: BUT it wears off when you're going into a new year. Might tinker during applications but you'll be more focused on AS exams (even thought they won't count be qualifications they'll still be important I think)
They didn't used to matter as much more many courses but if you see the UCAS website now, GCSE grades are incorperated in the entry requirements for almost all the courses now.

They do matter.
Unless you want to go to Oxbridge or UCL or Warwick somewhere like that it doesn't matter at all as long as you get good enough grades to do the A levels you want, once you have A levels no one cares about GCSEs
Reply 19
Original post by AdamCee
A year ago? Not that much tbh.

Now? Tons.
Because of the A level reform, it means uni's will be largely basing applications off of GCSE grades and A level predictions (which I believe come from GCSEs anyway)

Really? Wow that's the motivation I need :O But, I've read a number of articles where it's been suggested that GCSEs can barely be classed as qualifications they're so easy. That was not helpful for my revision...

Quick Reply

Latest