The Student Room Group

Appropriate Social Media Usage - Please Read

Hello everyone,

This is a polite note to all prospective nursing students. Many nursing cohorts have Facebook groups and use other social media to share ideas and network, as well as for their own personal use.

When you begin your nursing degree, you immediately become bound by the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC) Code of Conduct 2015:

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Documents/NMC-Publications/revised-new-NMC-Code.pdf

The NMC have also recently published guidance on use of social media too:

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Documents/NMC-Publications/Social%20media%20guidance%20%5b30%20March%202015%5d%20FINAL.pdf

Both apply to your professional and personal lives, including social media. Your universities will go through them with you when you begin, although my advice would be to get familiar with them now.

Although I am sure you will all use Social Media appropriately, and professionally, believe it or not I have seen numerous unprofessional comments and activities on social networking sites from student colleagues of my own.

Worst case scenario, unprofessional usage could lead you to go to a legal hearing, and be suspended from nursing either temporarily or permanently.

I am a huge advocate for using social media - that's why I'm a TSR user! However I wish to encourage you to do so professionally and responsibly at all times.

If you are concerned about this at all, or want to know more about how you can remain professional on social media, please feel free to DM me.

Best Wishes
Joel
(edited 9 years ago)
I m starting mh nursing in september and have currently made a new extra secure twitter and toughened up my facebook security however as my surname is one i made up myself that makes it incredibly easy to find, would you suggest me opting to just use my first/middle name on social media instead making it harder to find me?
Original post by claireestelle
I m starting mh nursing in september and have currently made a new extra secure twitter and toughened up my facebook security however as my surname is one i made up myself that makes it incredibly easy to find, would you suggest me opting to just use my first/middle name on social media instead making it harder to find me?

You've done the right thing by increasing your social media security, well done :smile:

Your own online privacy is your choice though. I go by only my first name or a username because I have a very distinctive surname and being a male paeds nurse, I'm quite rare, which would make me really easy to find.

If you would feel safer, then remove your surname :smile: If it were me, I would.

Hope that helps!
Thank you for the advice:smile: I think I shall remove my surname come september and hopefully apart from interacting with useful nurse related things on twitter I can keep my social media to people i know and trust:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending