The Student Room Group

Help me choose please!!

Hi everyone,
I have received 5 offers on UCAS, but then I excluded two and I have to decide between Politics,Philosophy and Economics at Goldsmiths and at University of Reading or Economics and Politics at Queen Mary! any advicee?
Reply 1
you need to think whether you'd prefer to stay in London or not because if you do then this excludes reading. have a look on league tables to see which is the highest one. although queen mary is a Russell group I believe reading has a better reputation. look on unistats to find out statistics about student satisfaction, salary after 6 months etc for each of your unis and make a comparison. maybe draw up a pros and cons list about all 3 universities aswell. I would suggest reading personally but if you want to live in London then queen mary. what are the entry requirements and do you think you will able to achieve all of them?
Reply 2
Original post by r-t
you need to think whether you'd prefer to stay in London or not because if you do then this excludes reading. have a look on league tables to see which is the highest one. although queen mary is a Russell group I believe reading has a better reputation. look on unistats to find out statistics about student satisfaction, salary after 6 months etc for each of your unis and make a comparison. maybe draw up a pros and cons list about all 3 universities aswell. I would suggest reading personally but if you want to live in London then queen mary. what are the entry requirements and do you think you will able to achieve all of them?

they are all very similar! I am an Italian student so my entry requirements are based on a different school system! I have done already all of this things! I think I would prefare to live in London! but if Reading is much better and the area is still nice I would go there! And what about goldsmiths, you didn't talk about it! is it much worse than the other two?
Reply 3
Original post by fran9
they are all very similar! I am an Italian student so my entry requirements are based on a different school system! I have done already all of this things! I think I would prefare to live in London! but if Reading is much better and the area is still nice I would go there! And what about goldsmiths, you didn't talk about it! is it much worse than the other two?

Goldsmith isn't bad but just not as good as the other 2. I just had a look at the complete university guide league tables and for both economics and politics queen Mary is higher. I would therefore suggest going for this one instead of reading as it is also a Russell group. This is basically a group of the best universities in the UK. I have also applied to queen Mary but for a different course.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by r-t
Goldsmith isn't bad but just not as good as the other 2. I just had a look at the complete university guide league tables and for both economics and politics queen Mary is higher. I would therefore suggest going for this one instead of reading as it is also a Russell group. This is basically a group of the best universities in the UK. I have also applied to queen Mary but for a different course.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think I will go to Queen Mary, but I still have to think about it, because I wanted to do philosophy also. For which course did you apply? and are you firming QM?:smile:
Reply 5
Original post by fran9
I think I will go to Queen Mary, but I still have to think about it, because I wanted to do philosophy also. For which course did you apply? and are you firming QM?:smile:

Oh ok. The complete university guide doesn't show queen Mary for philosophy which so I don't know about this one. I applied for business management but i applied late only 3 days ago so I haven't received a response yet but if I do get an offer then I will probably firm them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by r-t
Oh ok. The complete university guide doesn't show queen Mary for philosophy which so I don't know about this one. I applied for business management but i applied late only 3 days ago so I haven't received a response yet but if I do get an offer then I will probably firm them :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

nono, that's the problem! QM doesn't have philosophy in addition to Economics and Politics, as the other ones do!! Oh bad you have applied so late:frown: I hope they accept your offer anyways! who know, maybe we will be university mates shah
Reply 7
Original post by fran9
nono, that's the problem! QM doesn't have philosophy in addition to Economics and Politics, as the other ones do!! Oh bad you have applied so late:frown: I hope they accept your offer anyways! who know, maybe we will be university mates shah

I applied through extra. My first uni said no to me but I changed my mind and applied to queen Mary instead. If philosophy is very important then I suggest to go reading then. But yep hopefully we can be mates haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by r-t
I applied through extra. My first uni said no to me but I changed my mind and applied to queen Mary instead. If philosophy is very important then I suggest to go reading then. But yep hopefully we can be mates haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well choosing was very hard for me! so I understand is easy to change your mind!! do you know if the area of reading is nice to live in? I couldn't visit the unis so I am scared the unis turn out to be too different from what I expect
Reply 9
Original post by fran9
Well choosing was very hard for me! so I understand is easy to change your mind!! do you know if the area of reading is nice to live in? I couldn't visit the unis so I am scared the unis turn out to be too different from what I expect

I live in London so I don't know what it's like but I've heard reading is quite a posh area and the uni is good so I assume the halls are safe aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by r-t
I live in London so I don't know what it's like but I've heard reading is quite a posh area and the uni is good so I assume the halls are safe aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ok thanks! Yeah but I doubt it will be easy to get to London very often! and going to the Uk and not living there would be quite bad, don't you think?
Reply 11
Original post by fran9
Ok thanks! Yeah but I doubt it will be easy to get to London very often! and going to the Uk and not living there would be quite bad, don't you think?

No not really. London isn't the only city in the UK you know haha. You can easily get a train to London during term holidays or weekends.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by r-t
No not really. London isn't the only city in the UK you know haha. You can easily get a train to London during term holidays or weekends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I know haha but everyone who lives there that I know says that there is a lot of stuff going on, plenty of things to see etc. so maybe is cooler to live there that in a smaller town! but I don't know really, that is why I am here asking advice shah
Original post by fran9

There's a 30 minute train into London from Reading - it isn't that far.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by fran9
I know haha but everyone who lives there that I know says that there is a lot of stuff going on, plenty of things to see etc. so maybe is cooler to live there that in a smaller town! but I don't know really, that is why I am here asking advice shah

If a big city is important to you then obviously go for queen Mary. You have to see which is the most important to you. Is it the city, course etc. are you a very socialable person who likes to go out all the time? as the previous post said they are only 30 mins apart and the trains aren't too expensive with student discount.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fran9
You need to come over here and see for yourself before making up your mind. This is an important decision and not one you should be making by 'remote control' or on the advice of random people on the internet :smile:

I know it can be expensive to come over for a few days, but better that than making the wrong choice for you and then ending up with a large bill having dropped out of a course or uni you don't like at all.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending