The Student Room Group

Potential Rootkit??

A little while ago I was running a security scan on my laptop (I have McAfee) and it was scanning the same file for ages before finally deciding the computer was clear. That file had 'rootkit' in the title which, after some googling, doesn't seem good.

Now I have an untitled notepad file on my desktop to which my access is denied and I think copies might be getting made of new documents that I create? I installed Sophos Rootkit detector and nothing was found and McAfee isn't picking up the file anymore.

Do I have a Rootkit?
If so, what might the security consequences be and how can I get rid of it?

Computers aren't my strongest point so I apologise if I'm missing the obvious.
you could try Malwarebytes Antimalware:

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

the free option allows you to scan for rootkits ; you need to change the setting to do so ( just a few clicks ).
Rootkits usually allow backdoor access to your computer, allowing the attacker to have access to your computer.
As well as hide other malicious software, and perform DKOM.

+1 to Malwarebytes, it's one of, if not the best.

I recommend using Kaspersky's TDSS Rootkit Detector, that's probably the best for finding rootkits.

http://support.kaspersky.co.uk/viruses/disinfection/5350
Reply 3
I generally use malwarebytes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for recommending all of those.

I have done full scans including rootkit using Malwarebytes and Kaspersky's TDSS Rootkit Detector, however nothing has been found.

Is there still a chance that there could be something undetected? These mystery files that I am denied access to are quite worrying.
Reply 5
Original post by BadgerOverlord
Thanks for recommending all of those.

I have done full scans including rootkit using Malwarebytes and Kaspersky's TDSS Rootkit Detector, however nothing has been found.

Is there still a chance that there could be something undetected? These mystery files that I am denied access to are quite worrying.

Honestly, my advice would depend on whether there's anything important on the PC. Seeing as though I always keep a paper trail, I would wipe the hard drive if I was that worried. However I suppose if nothing has been detected I guess it should be OK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Andy98
Honestly, my advice would depend on whether there's anything important on the PC. Seeing as though I always keep a paper trail, I would wipe the hard drive if I was that worried. However I suppose if nothing has been detected I guess it should be OK.Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank for the reply, there shouldn't be anything too important that isn't backed up but I'm not overly confident in wiping it. I may just give in and go into my local repair to shop to see if they can take a look for me.
Reply 7
Original post by BadgerOverlord
Thank for the reply, there shouldn't be anything too important that isn't backed up but I'm not overly confident in wiping it. I may just give in and go into my local repair to shop to see if they can take a look for me.

Yeah fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending