The Student Room Group

Which University Would Be Best For Me?

Hi!

I'm an underachiever who was very lazy at college and got results below his capability. I studied music production for a year at university before leaving due to ill health.

I decided I didn't like the course and decided to reapply for a course in journalism. I have a mere 260 UCAS points, grades CCB, but I also have some experience in the field. Namely a position as a junior writer for an entertainment news site and the administration of my own website.

Anyway, I hastily applied for universities based on cities I'd like to live in, without really researching them first. They are as follows:

John Moores

Southampton Solent

Manchester Met

Roehampton

London Met

If you cringed at any it'd be the last one. I substituted London Met for a university with entry requirements far exceeding my grades after speaking to the admissions tutor. However, I'm still waiting for a response from that university. The other four gave me unconditional offers within the week I applied.

So, forget London Met. Assuming I'm rejected by its replacement, which would suck, which one of these universities would be the best choice for a degree in journalism? Any testimonies from students already studying at the four would be grand.

Cheers everyone!
Well, according to the ranking of The Guardian (subject ranking for journalism), Liverpool John Moores would be #31, Southampton Solent #19, Roehampton #27, London Met #40. Manchester Met isn't ranked by The Guardian. And according to thecompleteuniversityguide John Moores is #81, Manchester Met #73, Southampton Solent #114, Roehampton #93 and London Met #123. In terms of graduate prospects, Manchester Met is the best out of your choices, but has also a rather low percentage of employability (57,6%).
So even though I don't care very much for rankings, I would definitely not attend London Met.
I have no advice about the universities in question. However, I would like to point out (gently) that carrying out thorough research is a fundamental journalistic skill.
Reply 3
Original post by ageshallnot
I have no advice about the universities in question. However, I would like to point out (gently) that carrying out thorough research is a fundamental journalistic skill.

Haha haha brilliant addition

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh man, that's such a touché moment. I understand, but because my application was so late I was pretty impulsive. I admit to that.

But yeah, made me chuckle. Thanks mate.
Original post by JustSmalltalk
Oh man, that's such a touché moment. I understand, but because my application was so late I was pretty impulsive. I admit to that.

But yeah, made me chuckle. Thanks mate.

I'm glad you took it well. I hope you also take the point on board in your chosen career! :smile:

FWIW I know one very senior journalist who went to John Moores, but he studied Politics and it was a long time ago.
Original post by ageshallnot
I'm glad you took it well. I hope you also take the point on board in your chosen career! :smile:

FWIW I know one very senior journalist who went to John Moores, but he studied Politics and it was a long time ago.

Yeah man, I definitely will.

Well, good news anyway; I chatted to the admissions tutor for my substitution choice and I'm pretty sure he said he's going to offer me a place. Though it won't appear on UCAS until after Easter now. Here's hoping!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending