The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Selwyn College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
djjz13
Im applying for History too, looks great at selwyn, plus, late wake-up due to proximity to faculty! :wink:

Haha exactly. I have to say that is one of the reasons why I chose it
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Fracture
Applying here to do History; anything that I should know?

Selwyn has a rather excellent "just get an offer, pass your exams and turn up, we'll sort it out from there" policy; you don't need to worry about anything, just get an interview, get an offer, and meet that offer and you have nothing else to worry about other than dealing with the Student Loans Company and filling in reams and reams of bureaucratic forms. I just turned up with a suitcase or two, went to the porters and said "hi, I'm new" and they pointed me to my pigeon hole (again full of forms to fill in), threw a key at me and sent me merrily off on my way, and I can honestly say I've never been stuck for help when I've needed it (which has been very rare anyway).

I didn't bring any bedding or anything on the first day; got to my room and there was none there, so I went back to the porters, said I needed some, and one of them disappeared out of a little door and reappeared 5 minutes later with everything I needed under his arm and handed it to me. They can be really helpful, you never seem to have to do anything.
Reply 82
generalebriety
Selwyn has a rather excellent "just get an offer, pass your exams and turn up, we'll sort it out from there" policy; you don't need to worry about anything, just get an interview, get an offer, and meet that offer and you have nothing else to worry about other than dealing with the Student Loans Company and filling in reams and reams of bureaucratic forms. I just turned up with a suitcase or two, went to the porters and said "hi, I'm new" and they pointed me to my pigeon hole (again full of forms to fill in), threw a key at me and sent me merrily off on my way, and I can honestly say I've never been stuck for help when I've needed it (which has been very rare anyway).

I didn't bring any bedding or anything on the first day; got to my room and there was none there, so I went back to the porters, said I needed some, and one of them disappeared out of a little door and reappeared 5 minutes later with everything I needed under his arm and handed it to me. They can be really helpful, you never seem to have to do anything.

Thanks for the reply, sounds like Selwyn is a pretty nice college to be at
Reply 83
So i have the history test at 10am, I'm a hour and half/ two hour drive away from selwyn - is it worth it to stay over? or just drive up on the morning? Also - is it easy to park there?
Depends if you want an excuse to stay over! I'd be inclined to ask College if they have a room so that you can stay the night before.

The traffic coming into Cambridge at that time of the morning is diabolical, add at least an extra half an hour for the last mile of the journey, whichever direction you come from. Add much more if you are coming up the M11 or on the A14.

Parking around Selwyn is easier than for most Colleges, although there isn't much College parking, and you'll have to find somewhere on the street - try Sidgwick Road and pay up, the traffic wardens are rather too efficient for comfort :frown:
djjz13
So i have the history test at 10am, I'm a hour and half/ two hour drive away from selwyn - is it worth it to stay over? or just drive up on the morning? Also - is it easy to park there?

Do you think the nerves of being stuck in slow traffic or the sleepiness induced by an early start to avoid traffic will affect how you do in your test? If you think it might, it's probably worth staying over. It's possible to park, probably wouldn't call it easy though...

Also, it's quite nice to hang around with other applicants and see the college a bit!!
:smile:
Reply 86
okay thanks guys - I'll probably apply for accomodation, but they said its usually for people who have 3hours+ journey. I'll call and speak to the admissions secretary, I'll just use my charm and way with words :wink:
I'm sure it'll turn out fine either way :smile:

Edit: is the interview after term ends? (after 2nd December) If it's before then then they may not have as many rooms as students will still be here.
Reply 88
I am applying for selwyn history and my interview is 14th, so after the end of term. I have an 8.30 start so I am definitely going to stay over beforehand
Reply 89
my interview is the 13th, so after term ends, good that means more likely to get a room!
Reply 90
Has anyone applied to Selwyn to do Economics? Is the course over-subscribed at Selwyn this year?
Gnoes
Has anyone applied to Selwyn to do Economics? Is the course over-subscribed at Selwyn this year?

No-one on TSR is going to be able to tell you whether the course is over-subscribed this year or not, application statistics aren't released until well after the admissions process is over. Don't worry about it, even if there are lots of applicants it shouldn't make a difference to how you approach your interview.
:smile:
Reply 92
ahhhh had my interview, my brain hurts, anyone see me strolling around with my afro?

anyhoo, here's hoping ey? I fell in love with selwyn, its so kushty
Reply 93
It looks really nice, its close to the centre but still away from the hustle and bustle; perfect. (although whatever college you applied, you still have the same response)
Reply 94
Any people got letters yet ?!?! I just got an offer for Economics YEY!
Congrats!! You must be happy! :smile:

(I am a current Selwynite :wink: )
Reply 96
Got pooled for History; shame since I loved the college but nevermind
Reply 97
ah thats unlucky mate, I'm still in limbo too, although i just havent read my letter at all yet, im at work, its at home
Yay! Offer for English! I even gave the postie a hug; he backed away as if I was a madwoman.
Reply 99
I'm an international student. Applied to read econs. Still waiting for the letter to come. I'm very worried now. Help! It must be great to get the offers~ Congrats!!

Quick Reply

Latest