The Student Room Group

A little lost with my options,don't know which is the best route now

Target:u:ndergraduate medicine(1st),Postgraduate medicine(2nd),Phd.in biomed science

I am an international student from Singapore and I don't know what's the best route for me after my high school leaving examinations. I didn't do well enough for my first choice,but eligible for biomedical sciences locally/overseas.

options
1.Postgraduate medicine risk medium,costs high,time-7 years
Take a biomed degree for 3 years and do graduate medicine for 4 years. The risks involve the academic gpa(second upper honours) and also GAMSAT/UKCAT.The time taken to get a postgrad.degree is also significantly longer.

2.Foundation programme to get in UG medicine risk high,costs high, time-1+5years
Go through foundation programme for 1 year and apply UG med. There's also a possibility of me wasting 1 whole year of studies and finances if I fail to get in medicine.(in this scenario,failure is not an option,because unlike 1,if I fail to get in med,at least I can still aim for Phd for biomed sciences.)

3.Study Uk international A levels, risk low,costs low,time possible 5 years
I have seen/heard that uk A levels is easier than my national exams back at home.Targeting a AAA for Bio/chem/maths to apply med over here/Australia too. The big headache is time,I am currently serving compulsory National Service with the Army. That means,I am working/studying at the same time. However,it's the least risky as I don't lose much even if I don't do that well for my A levels in Uk(possibly ABBs...?)

Anyone has better routes to medicine for me or any helpful advice??
:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending